old member, new car

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by gtcruiser33, Oct 2, 2017.

1. gtcruiser33

gtcruiser33 Well-Known Member

Hey All - as you may have seen I recently sold my '07 WRX. It has been replaced with a '18 Forester XT Premium. Have a simple cell phone shot to share. Hope to have this thing a long time.

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FXT family! I must say, I am pretty partial to your vehicle choice.

Be sure to hop on the SJ thread!
    18765753_10100303281219393_2091278425720664155_n.jpg

silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  3. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Sharp ride, I love the white. I will be in the market for a mid sized SUV next spring, and was debating between the Forester & Crosstrek. How does the interior of the Forester stack up to a Crosstrek? The Crosstrek I sat in at the LAX Cruise was a tad too small for my liking. I'm 6'5", and in order to get comfortable, the seat had to be all the way back, so there would be very little room for anybody behind me.

4. JuStaWRX

Paging @TMF !

TMF likes this.
  5. JuStaWRX

I think it's safe to say the Forester can accommodate a wide range of heights.
    upload_2017-10-2_20-54-47.png

6. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Should've said something, you could've checked out mine at the LAX cruise.

Pretty sure @tangledupinblu 's mom is buying mine when I decide to sell. lol

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  7. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Assuming yours is the one she was losing her sh!t over.

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Thanks @JuStaWRX for the connection :thumbup:

@housemusic1 I'm 6'6" and have a '16 Forester XT. Stock legroom was OK, but I ended up putting in a Recaro Ergomed seat that is lightyears better than the stock seat. It's still power, heated, has a side airbag, and even ventilated. There is more legroom than stock, and rear leg room is "passable." For the most rear legroom, the 10+ Outback really is the best.

There's a good possibility that I'll be selling mine soon as I will be getting a company car. The company car process has been taking forever, so I don't have a good eta yet, but you are more than welcome to check mine out whenever you'd like (regardless if you're interested in buying mine specifically or not). I was planning on taking out the Recaro before selling, but let me know if you're interested in checking it out with the Recaro seat installed. It was kind of an ass ache to find the seat and then make it fit properly, so I'm glad to share the creation with the world lol.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    JuStaWRX likes this.
  9. curly2k3

I'm curious about this Recaro actually, pics and info on it? I've never looked into the Recaros even, honestly, but I do strongly dislike the stock seat.

Indeed it was.

10. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Sorry to thread jack. I had to Google the Ergomed seat. Wow, that's an awesome looking seat. Being 6'5", I find that I'm usually driving from the back seat of most vehicles. I dropped my Outback off @ Morrie's this morning to finally get the airbag recall done, and they gave me a 2017 Crosstrek XV for a loaner. I had a 30 minute commute from there, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. For being an NA vehicle, it has some pep, and the massive windshield is great. Now I don't want to give it back!

11. gtcruiser33

gtcruiser33 Well-Known Member

I am 6'2" and am pretty happy with the legroom in my FXT, certainly much roomier than the WRX I've been driving the last few years. I didn't do any comparisons to the Crosstrek, was looking for a small SUV only, think CX-5 and the like, but couldn't be swayed away from the turbo.

12. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Sorry for threadjacking @gtcruiser33 ! I do obviously like your new ride though!

If there is enough interest on my seat setup, I can start a separate thread.
    I have this seat: https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas-us/aftermarket-seats/products/ergomed-es.html
    I bought it on ebay from a shop in Germany that re-upholsters and re-sells Recaro's. Recaro doesn't sell versions of their seats that have a side airbag in the USA, hence why I bought it from a shop in Germany.
    I used a 15+ WRX seat base from planted: http://www.plantedtechnology.com/pr...x-sti-2015-xv-crosstrek-2013-driver-left.html
    A wiring harness from this genius that found the right airbag connector for the Recaro (it's a VW connector) and diagram to attach it to OEM airbag harness (wire taps to the OEM airbag wiring harness): https://downtime.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2763188
    A Recaro install kit from a shop in California (basically just a wiring harness for power for the Recaro and a relay). Griffin Motorwerke Inc, talk to Terry.
    And a variety of flat bar aluminum, rectangular aluminum tube, M8 socket cap screws, frustration, beer, etc to get the seat to the right height (it was way too low with the seat mounted directly on the bracket).

It was a bit of a process, but it functions well! The only concern in the back of my head is that this setup hasn't exactly been crash tested, specifically the long M8 socket cap screws that I had to use to attach the seat to the base. The screws do have a high shear strength, so that helps me sleep at night.
    Yea, the long, extendable leg bolster of the Ergomed is very nice.
    FWIW, the WRX, Crosstrek, and Forester are all built on the same platform. I'm willing to bet that the leg room is nearly identical in all of them, with the exception of seat height.

13. curly2k3

the aircooled is quite appealing too