Outback Towing Capacity

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Basshunter, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Basshunter

Basshunter Member

Hello,

New member here. Am seriously close to purchasing a new Outback...

One of the main reasons I am looking at it is for it's towing capacity. However, I want to confirm what it's real capacity is, as I get two different answers of what it is.

One dealer tells me it can tow 2700 lbs with no trailer brakes on the towed trailer required. Another dealer tells me to pull that much, trailer brakes are required.

Your feedback is appreciated!

2. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

What are you towing? and how much will you be towing it?

3. Basshunter

Basshunter Member

I have two boats. The one to be towed mostly is a 17 ft Lund Explorer - Probably weighs 1400 lbs with boat & motor....Not sure what the trailer weighs - just a single axle roll-on type...Most towing of this will be within a 50 mile radius of our cabin...but could bring it back to town periodically...

The other boat is a 23 ft Pontoon...This is a lot heavier at 2500+lbs w/out trailer. This will only be pulled twice a year about a quarter mile to the launch and back...so not really too concerned about this one..

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

What engine does your new Outback have?

5. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

I spent some time researching towing capacities when looking at various Subaru models. I have a '16 Lund Rebel on a roller trailer that I guess weighs in around 1500lbs total. I towed it a couple times with my '06 Forester XT and now I tow it with my '04 Outback. The '04 Outback is rated at 2000lbs and while it gets the job done around town I wouldn't want to be towing for extended distances through mountains. So with the newer outbacks rated at 2700lbs I think you wouldn't have any issues towing your Lund around the State or the pontoon that short of distances as long as you're smart about it.

From what i've read it seems standard that anything over 50% of the stated towing capacity requires trailer brakes. Although it is interesting that in other countries towing capacities are much higher on the identical cars than here in the states. Drive safe and keep your distance for braking and you'll be just fine.

All that said, I really wish I had an h6 vs the 2.5l

6. Basshunter

Basshunter Member

Looking to get the 2.5 because of gas mileage. I am in real estate so 99% of the time will be hauling me and clients...If I went up to the 6, I wouldn't get the mileage I am looking for in the new vehicle...At the lower mileage, it would open up other vehicle options...

7. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

My dad bought a '13 2.5l Outback a few months ago and is loving it(I own his previous car). If I can manage to get a hitch installed on his car anytime soon here i'll hook my boat up to it and do a tow comparison. But just driver seat comparison, his '13 2.5l Outback felt like it had a lot more strength to it than my 2.5l '04. My dad is also getting 33mpg on highway trips up north.

8. Basshunter

Basshunter Member

Well, I basically decided on the Outback yesterday. But, I also confirmed that the OB is only rated for 1,000 lbs if the trailer does not have brakes. The 2,700 lbs is for trailers with brakes only. This sucks....my boat trailer does not have them,and not sure it"s worth the effort. I don't think I have ever seen a single axle trailer with brakes...

May end up just driving the suburban into the ground and dealing with it later...maybe there may be a vehicle then that can tow what I need and get over 28 mpg in a few years as manufacturers move their cars towards meeting the looming CAFE standards....