Outback woes...

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by tangledupinblu, Jun 3, 2017.

1. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

So we recently started experiencing some issues with the Outback. When you start driving with partial throttle, it stutters and feels like it temporarily looses power(via fuel). This is ALL the time!(ie:a/c on, a/c off, heat on/off, etc.) With exception to using more throttle. When you kick it down a little harder, it doesn't seem to hesitate.

Model:2004 Outback
    Recent maintenance:
    - spark plugs
    - fuel system clean
    (Both performed by Firestone in Maplewood)

The wife has been experiencing the hesitation and i have been working out of town for over a month, so i had her take it in.
    Recently threw a code, PO464(fuel level sensor A CKT intermittent)
    IMG_8374.JPG
    When i drove it it felt "low on gas", mainly on a clover leaf/corner so i wrote it off and filled the tank(1/4 of a tank in it at the time). Didn't notice it anymore and went out of town for work again. Problem is back. FWIW, it had the issues before Firestone got it.

Could this be a fuel pump issue? Anyone know where the fuel level sensor is located?(i'm assuming with the pump) I'm not sure what to do next...might have to call JMA! But any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    @Chux ? :)

Thanks
    -Josh

2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

What would the fuel level sensor do other than trigger the low fuel light on the instrument cluster? I don't see how this sensor could have anything to do with driveability.

3. tangledupinblu

I'm not sure, it's just the only code it's throwing. It is getting really bad tho. We went to look at a van for the wife and kids and it started sputtering and jerking really bad. Time to park it.:shifty:

4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. tangledupinblu

Don't worry...you'll understand soon enough! :p

Also, when the hell is Subaru going to step up and make me an AWD turbocharged minvan dammit?

6. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

The wifes 99 outback leggy wagon did this... replaced the TPS and all was good & unplug the emission sensor, we just delt with the cel

7. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Pretty sure these are importable now. Easy(ish) enough to swap but pretty sure they were available sc and 4wd. Your wife and kid(s) are small enough to fit.

[​IMG]

readymix, Chux, pillboy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Is this a 6-cylinder car? If so there's a TSB for the TPS on them, and it doesn't always throw a code, so that might be worth testing. I think the primary symptom was more transmission-related (that's how I came across it, anyway)...The original part number was superceded with a new design, so I would (and did) go OEM on that if it tests bad.

If it's 4-cylinder, that doesn't rule out the TPS, just isn't as common.

There are 2 fuel level sensors, wired in series. AFAIK, their function is only for the gauge, but the ECU does monitor it, so it's possible that it has an effect on the engine, but I doubt it. I attached the diagnostic page from the FSM for that code. Both sensors can be accessed from under the back seat, there are little access hatches. Pump and main sensor are on the passenger side, sub sensor on the driver's side.

But, my bet is it's fuel pump related.

On the fuel pump assembly, there's a little cap/filter (some models just have a cap, some have a filter under it) with an o'ring that seals it to the housing. This O'ring is somewhat notorious for deforming, and then it doesn't seal (generally considered as a result of ethanol in the fuel), frequently damaging the mounting tabs on the cap. Subaru has superceded these all to the filter style, so the cap, and filter have to be purchased together. The original O-ring is pretty expensive from Subaru, you can get a pack of Viton ones (generally considered more resiliant to the Ethanol) for much less than dealer cost on just one of the OE ones, but if the cap is damaged, you're kind of hosed.

A ton of good information here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

There's a mechanic and Subaru owner up here who I trust a lot, he's a member on here but doesn't post very often and I don't remember his screen name. Anyway, he once told me that he's replaced a LOT of fuel pumps on these cars (BE/BH Legacies and Outbacks, specifically). However I don't think I've sold a single one here.... Either way, worth testing.

Attached Files:

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  9. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of the issues Josh. Hope its an easy fix so she can get back out on the road!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  10. tangledupinblu

Thanks Matt! It's the 4 cylinder. I'll look into the pump and sensors!

11. tangledupinblu

Just read that article and it definitely sounds like the problem. I'll probably just replace the whole thing.

Thanks again!(and i'll report back with results)