P0182 2005 STI

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by BroCo, Jul 31, 2018.

1. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I have had this CEL on and off for a last couple of years and am just sick of it. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I spoke to Nuke about this years ago and he told me to ignore it and that it would cause no harm. I'm just sick of the damn flashing cruise light! The CEL goes off at around 1/4 tank and then pops again shortly after filling up.

P0182 is Fuel Temperature Sensor 'A' Circuit Low Input.

FYI I'm running E85 with all of the supporting mods.

2. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Maybe try simply reseating the white connector on the fuel pump hanger. If still no luck after that, I'd pull the hanger out and double check the wiring to the temp sensor located on the pump hanger is in tact. It could have gotten hung up when reinstalling the hanger at some point in the past (assuming it has an aftermarket pump installed)...although I'm not sure why that would warrant an intermittent CEL if that was the case.

3. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Thanks.

I do have an aftermarket fuel pump. It is very strange indeed. When I took the car out of storage this year I went through an entire tank of E85 without the CEL and then the next time I filled up it popped again.

I'll pull the fuel pump out and take a look at it.

4. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Fuel temp sensor on the GDs are on the little metal swing arm/float thing (part of the whole pump, filter, sensor, lid assembly), right?

Wouldn't be surprised if the sensor got damaged or a wire got stretched when removing/replacing the stock unit. It's kind of easy to have it catch the tank while removing it if you aren't paying attention.

5. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

It's not on the arm/float, but it's within it's range of motion. It's possible that when the tank is full the float is pulling on one of the wires going to the fuel temp sensor, then when about a 1/4 full the tension is off the wire allowing it to connect again. Seems like a long shot, but it's possible.

EDIT: red arrow is kinda hard to see, but that's where the temp sensor lives
    [​IMG]

BroCo likes this.