P0420, P0302 fixed by swapping coil packs?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Cotts612, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. For the last year or so, I have been getting a P0420 code every 40-50 miles after clearing the codes. A lot of the time, it is accompanied by a P0302 code. A year ago, I replaced the plugs, hoping that was the culprit. The code/s persisted. I never once felt any of the misfires. 95% of the time the cel came on while on the highway with cruise control on. Finally I swapped coil packs on cylinders 2 and 4, two days ago. Well, I just drove 170 miles on a road trip, expecting a cel. Nothing. Wtf? How would swapping coil packs do anything else but give me a P0304, if it was a bad coil pack? Clips into the packs were both snug when removing. Lol I'm stumped on how that fixed BOTH codes.

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

If I've learned one thing by owning a turbo Subaru for a handful of years it's that sometimes **** just goes away on its own for no logical reason sometimes. Haha. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

For example, I bought another bugeye wagon last year. Has a VF39, bigger injectors, a few other misc things. Could drive around like nothing's wrong as long as you weren't pushing it, but would break up like crazy under boost. I did plugs, coil packs, fuel filter. Made a little improvement but still did the same thing in boost.

One of the days up at Powercruise I was just looking at stuff trying to troubleshoot. One of the plugs was significantly whiter than the rest, looking like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I didn't "do" anything to the injectors other than literally touch the connectors (wiggle, squeeze together) and the injectors themselves (wiggle, jiggle, twist) and the next day I drove it it was boosting like crazy. On one hand it was awesome cuz the car was soooo much more fun to drive. But on the other hand it was super frustrating cuz I had zero sense of accomplishment or that mental ease of "yeah, that was definitely what was wrong and I fixed it". Haha. Still have no idea what was actually going on but it works now and that's all I know.

Cotts612 and Butthau5 like this.
  3. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

My car was doing that I spent way too long trying to figure it out replaced way too many unnecessary parts and finally brought it in to JM and they determined it had not one not two but three bad coil packs! It wasn't even driving that bad just when you would go WOT.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  4. Cotts612

I mean, I'm not complaining about it fixing it. Like you said though, it would be nice to know why. Another random fix, if you guys remember my post a while back where I mentioned that my door adjar light wont go off? Well, yeah apparently swapping coil packs fixed THAT too. Silly Subaru, you're drunk. Go home

5. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Tis haunted I think

EricS and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Time for the scrap yard!

7. Cotts612

HEY! Don't say that! I'll sell her to @Krazylegz1485 before I ever think of junking her. We gotta keep these wagons rolling!

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  8. tangledupinblu

And he’d buy it!! He loves wagons like a fat kid loves cake.

EricS, Krazylegz1485 and Cotts612 like this.
  9. Cotts612

Wagons are a guys best friend. Right?

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  10. tangledupinblu

Hahaha, there is enough room for an air mattress back there...

Cotts612 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  11. Krazylegz1485

The first time the wife and I went "camping" back when we were dating we went to the USA Nationals at Cedar Lake in Wisconsin. I had a 97 Taurus wagon (which was surprisingly loaded with options and was actually a badass car, for what it was) and found an air mattress that fit perfectly between the wheel well humps in the back. Folded the rear seats down and moved the fronts as far forward as possible so even I could fit in there. It was pretty awesome.

Wagons for life.

Cotts612 and tangledupinblu like this.
  12. Krazylegz1485

I like the sound of that!

13. Cotts612

Welp, so much for "fixing the problem, both codes came back yesterday. Could a bad o2 sensor give false mis fire codes? I suppose it wouldn't be the same cylinder if that was true.

Taurus SHO wagon would be pretty cool! I can't remember the dates, would that have been the Yamaha v6, or the 3.4 liter v8?

14. Krazylegz1485

Are we like separated at birth or something? For the longest time that was my dream project car that never saw the light of day. 96-99 would've been the V8 years. Ironically "slower" than the Yamaha V6 cars, but they had frickin V8's! And sounded so sexy (personal opinion). I wanted so badly to do a V8 SHO swap into a wagon. At one point I actually bought a dead SHO for all the cool body pieces. Even found a set of absolutely mint chrome SHO wheels. Like every other project, it unfortunately never really left my head.

Cotts612 likes this.
  15. Cotts612

Haha seems that way! Growing up, a kid on my block had the Sho with the Yamaha in it. He put a lot of work into that motor, she was damn fast. Not so much work put into the exhaust, it was very loud lol.

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.