P1088 code Throttle Positioning Sensor/Tumble Generator Valve Sensor

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by jp0wers, Apr 8, 2018.

1. jp0wers

jp0wers New Member

Today I had an unfortunate case of the P1088 code. As I tried to accelerate from a comple stop my 2006 Outback XT lost all balls and sputtered to idle. I didn’t even have enough momentum to pull over, so I only had one choice, sit in the middle of the road with my 2 screaming children.

I waited for about 5-10 minutes just to see what toils happen, shut my car off, restarted and we were good to go. No CEL and No more blinking CC light.

How do I fix this so it doesn’t happen again? I can’t find a New TGV Sensor anywhere and AutoZone has it on their website, but I still can’t order it?

Sorry for the long post but I purchased this bad boy to be a great family car, not to completely fall on its face without a moments notice.

-Concerned Subaru Newb

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

If money is tight, you can find them on eBay. I got a used OEM one for my WRX last summer and came with a "if it doesn't work we'll take it back no questions asked" policy. So that was nice. Just make sure to read the "fine print" because each seller is different.

If you want new, I'd just go to Morrie's Subaru. We get 20% off parts there (forum discount) and that comes in pretty handy when buying some of the expensive stuff. I just saved $50+ on a sensor yesterday...

As far as getting it "fixed" and never happening again, I'd Google the car and the code and read up on other experiences. See if people had good luck and what they did.

silver03 likes this.
  3. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

I have a set of TGV motors and sensors from my 04 WRX sitting in the garage. If we find out that they fit, I can cut you a deal.