P2443 Cel

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Sky58, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

I was pulling out of the driveway this morning and my car threw this CEL:

p2443 second air injection valve stuck closed, bank 2

I've done a bit of research and it appears this is either caused by a faulty air pump or a pinched line going to the pump. I'm going to check these out, but was wondering if you guys had any other things I should be looking at. Now I will say this that I was messing with my BOV last Thursday, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I could be wrong though. Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

Oh and probably a list of power mods may be useful:

Maddad V2 DP and Whisper 3" CB
    Bullwinkle Stage 2 tune

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Hrm, never really heard of that one being at all common. I certainly don't have any bright ideas.

4. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

Well it appears after poking around some more, I overlooked the fact that there are two valves that the secondary air pump runs to and the error refers to one of those two. Unfortunately, no one knows which one is "bank 2" and one is a PITA to get to while the other sits right under the TMIC.

I reset the CEL, but after driving around a bit, it has come back and it seems to only come up shortly after startup of the car. Looking up what these valves do, they provide some form of emissions control? Does anyone know exactly know how they do it? Someone on nasioc said they just help warm up the cat.

Also, to replace one of the valves, it looks like it'll run $300 just for the part...

5. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Bank 2 usually refers to the side of the engine that contains Cyl #2. So, if I remember correctly, it would be the passenger side.

These are all assumptions, but I don't see anyone else having any bright ideas.

6. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

well, i removed my air pump system, so if you need any part of it, PM me and we can work it out

7. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Awww.... You two were made for each other. :laugh::biggrin::laugh:

8. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

LOL
    You bozo

9. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

So I took the car to BP Subaru since I figured they'd be able to actually troubleshoot and test the valves. One of them is definitely stuck closed though they said even though the error code states bank 2 is stuck closed, they can open it. It's bank 1 that is stuck closed.

Anyway, the good news is they will replace the part under warranty and all I have to do is bring the car back once they have the part. If all else fails and something falls through with them, I'll just remove the air pump system.

Nuke, when you removed it, did you have to redo the wiring for the air sensor of the valves?

10. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

If you remove it, then just have Bullwinkle turn the codes off in your ECM settings.

11. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

Cool. I have Romraider, Ecuflash, and the list of codes to turn off so I can do it if need be :) Thanks guys.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Nice, glad you got it sorted out at the dealer.

Yeah, there's a ton of codes for the pump, but very easy to delete and reflash.

13. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

for 06/07 WRX you will want to delete these codes:
    P0410
    P0411
    P0413
    P0414
    P0416
    P0417
    P0418
    P2431
    P2432
    P2433
    P2440
    P2441
    P2442
    P2443
    P2444

For 07 STI:
    P0410
    P0411
    P0413
    P0414
    P0418
    P2431
    P2432
    P2433
    P2441
    P2444

You also need to plug the harness portion of the emissions air pump back in (you can leave the pump, mounting bracket, and hard line out). Without it, your ecu will not be able to read manifold pressure and will eventually go into limp mode... the 07 STI is wired funny... not just the clock/abs/seats nonsense, but the air pump, the hazard light sharing a circuit with the turn signals, the daytime running light schematic, etc...
    Also, the STI only has sends air to 1 bank rather than both like in the wrx.

Glad to hear everything worked out... now delete it lol

14. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

Right, so the pump is removed (the air pump behind the battery) but you leave the valves since there is an atmospheric pressure sensor in there. Also, there is only 1 valve on the STI as it feeds into only 1 bank from what I've been staring at on nasioc where as the WRX has two for two banks. Would it be worth removing the hard lines? I'll have to consider doing this crap when I put in my STi TMIC later :)

15. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Yup, only 1 hard line on the STI... less strict emissions?
    Might as well just remove the hard lines and block the valves off at the block. RS Motors may be able to help you out on the blocking plates.
    I'm not sure if the harness has to be plugged back in on the wrx, but it definitely did for my 07 STI.

16. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

the wrx does not need to be plugged in back as the 07sti's pump also contain the sensor for the atmospheric pressure.

wrxbomber likes this.
  17. wrxbomber

wrxbomber New Member

I am having the same issue with the valves stuck closed. I have a 07 wrx no mods and pretty new to the subie and car scene in general. Could anyone possibly help me out with deleting the codes?

idget likes this.
  18. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Message the guy above you ^
    He will take care of it.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  19. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

Just got this on my WRX - cleared the code hoping it was just intermittent. One commute in and it's not back yet.

20. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Yep, me too...just last weekend it started. Looks like I get to yank the setup...and sounds like a good excuse to get a tune since I have to code out the CEL lights, anyway. Anyone doing street tunes anymore? Bullwinkle did the last one I did, on the old STi. I guess RS is close enough...

21. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Road tunes are getting harder and harder to come by these days.

22. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I know a girl who gives good "road tunes" but you might get an STI after ;)
    Nothing a little penicillin can't clear up!

Chin likes this.
  23. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Penis illin'.

24. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

FWIW - Still clear of the code!