Parking Lamps won't turn off (NOT PARK LAMP SWITCH LEFT ON)

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Currahee, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Currahee

Currahee Active Member

2007 Impreza 4 door AT N/A

Had the car for almost 5 years now, never had anything similar until randomly one day they would not turn off... Again, NOT THE PARKING LAMP SWITCH ! I quadrillion checked, but there is something interesting about it I will mention later.

Details (that I think are worth mentioning):

- Front DRL and tail lamps stay on after car turned off

- Lights stay on regardless of IGN ON or OFF; KEY IN or KEY OUT; DOOR CLOSE or DOOR OPEN; vehicle LOCKED or UNLOCKED (from key fob)

- Problems remains after multiple battery discharges and reset for 10+ min

- HID low beams (normal functions)

- Aftermarket Pioneer stereo (normal functions)

- When toggling park lamp switch on and off, the lights will get brighter and dimmer respectively

- (verry subtle detail I noticed) middle-dashboard digital clock no longer brightens when lights turned to OFF position (they usually illuminate brighter when all lights OFF to counter act day-time sun glare, and slightly dim when lights ON to avoid over illuminated dashboard at night, at least by my logic)

- reverse lamps dont work (have not for a little while, I suspect due to reverse lamp switch and most likely not related maybe??)

- no mods, have not touched anything on it for almost 2 years

I have not taken anything apart at all, but figured a shot in the dark -- someone might have ran into the same/similar issue and know more than me to save me some cat-and-mouse diag for hours... I plan to start soon but any reasonable pointers and mentions are appreciated.

My current speculations:
    - Bad Park Lamp Switch(bad ground), maybe why lights get brighter when toggled ??
    - Multi switch ??
    - Stereo ground went bad after a while ? Shorted ?
    - Is there even a relay for this system in main fuse box ?? if so maybe bad relay

Again any insight, feedback, or wisdom is appreciated

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Bad ground, relay or a short somewhere. Especially since they get brighter when they get "on".

3. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

Hazard light button?

silver03 likes this.
  4. Currahee

Currahee Active Member

Yeah Im thinking the same. Probably will start by disconnecting multi and park lamp switch, see if they change anything and chase it from there.

Hadn't thought of that.. I will definitely look at a diagram and see if the circuits talk at all

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. Currahee

Currahee Active Member

UPDATE:

Sorry for it being so late, car was not a priority but it is HIGH PRIORITY NOW since it will be my only vehicle soon.
    Symptoms in main post still relevant.

DRL lamps still ON when I have disconnect:
    Tail and Illumination Relay (joint fuse box under dash)
    Daytime Running Tail Lamp Relay (behind right kick panel)
    DRL HiBeam Relay -- for good measure (next to DRL relay)

They only turn OFF when I (regardless if the above are connected or disconnected):
    Disconnect connector for park lamp switch (behind clock spring)
    Remove 10A Fuse#12 (Illumination brightness control)
    Remove 10A Fuse#5 (Tail light, Parking light)

I believe the the Park lamp switch can override the Tail and Illumin. Relay, but from the diagram it does not override the DRL relay behind the right kick panel (disconnected). No blown fuses -- highly unlikely a circuit short. So how the **** are the lights still getting power ??? Park Lamp switch => DRL relay => Fuse => Lights -- even if the park lamp switch was stuck on/open, the power should not be relayed to the lights anyways because its disconnected. Am I missing something ?? Maybe my brain too smol ?? Honestly I thought I had a good hold of the situation but I have exhausted my skills/knowledge and am looking for help outside of my abilities now. Please. Help. lol

EDIT:
    I have a hunch these are relevant and important details so I'll say it again:

The DRL lamps get slightly brighter when I switch the park lamp switch on
    The cluster/hvac/shifter vanity lights stay on when I have all lights off (only when key and/or ign ON, should not be this way)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  6. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I will repeat bad ground or short somewhere. After parting out 2 99 imprezas and an 05 impreza all i can say is the wire coating material leaves a lot to desire

tangledupinblu likes this.