Part time jobs: what do you do? What's out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mnelson, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

So I'm entertaining the idea of a second job to fund some major projects I'm taking on soon. I figured this would be a good spot to open up a discussion on what's out there.

Alternatively, if you work a full and part time gig, what do you do? What so you like about it? Do you feel it's worth the extra time?

As for me, I am currently a data/network/security IT administrator during the day (7-4) plus 24/7 emergency on call. I like the work I do and it's well paced most days.

For a part time job, I would like to find something that doesn't overlap that time that requires a IT skillset that is compensated with good pay. Don't technically need benefits as I get them from my day job. I've done a little of everything in information technology like: security, server admin, software admin, patching, infrastructure, etc. I just hate phones. Remote work would be a huge bonus.

I'm open to other suggestions too, like auto detailing/repair, or anything really. So if you know of something open or know someone who might need my expertise, let me know!

2. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Yes. Sales (both). Not much. Probably not.

in that order of your questions on the second line. Second job is purely because I like firearms, have been very tempted to jump ship since the taxes kill me as a result.

3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

To find a nice part time job I would try some of the temp agencies around town see what that can drum up for you.

4. Dcmn

Dcmn Active Member

Jimmy John's delivery driver! Cash in hand, plus a small paycheck bi-weekly. $10 an hour plus tips.

5. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

Moonlight as an IT consultant. Set your hours, set your wage, most assignments are temporary. I consult on the side, it's a great way to make some extra moola! Or part-time IT helpdesk. Good luck on your search!!

Mnelson likes this.
  6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Gigolo.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  7. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

He's not trying to lose money.

ocie, jubella2, pillboy and 1 other person like this.
  8. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Why not find a company that can handle after hours IT support? You can make $80-120 an hour remotely doing that.

9. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Committing to 24x7 oncall while fielding a second job sounds like a good way to burn out and/or piss someone off. Make sure you're thoroughly familiar with any NDA's or non-competes too. The later can be difficult to enforce but IT is a small world when you get further up the food chain.

If you're purely after the dollars I'd consider finding a company that will pay you OT for the most valuable skillset you already have. Side contracts have a way of being more trouble than they're worth.

Otherwise, I bet Sheen could teach you how to wax some... things.

Mnelson and tangledupinblu like this.
  10. Mnelson

I've been looking around a lot and everyone's input has helped. I don't have an nda at my current place. I'm also on call but don't actually get called unless something really bad happened.

A detailing side gig would be awesome as it seems more flexible. That and it sounds like it won't burn me out like doing more IT. I might have to try my hand at it with my car as the first victim.

But a hourly job is always underpaid, and ot never feels worth it. I use to be hourly and had a ton of work each week and made less than when I switched salary.

But yeah like I said earlier, I appreciate the input guys :). Thank you!

11. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

OT always feels worth it to me since it approaches $100/hr.

12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Overtime never felt worth it to me when i was salary. But that's because it paid nothing.

Switching to hourly, with my position, increased my pay by $7-10k/year, lol.

13. Mnelson

Yeeahh.. I don't get paid for ot now that I'm salary... I either comp some of the time or suck it up.

14. tangledupinblu

I tried to suck it up, but 60-70 hrs a week with nothing to show for it except for a 40 hr check suc'd bawls. Hahaha

I showed them the MN Statue on salaried employees working over 50 hrs per week getting compensation...they laughed and said that they'd just put "manager" in my title. Now they're looking for a new employee.;)

pillboy, Krazylegz1485 and Mnelson like this.
  15. Mnelson

At least they called you a manager. That's like pulling teeth

16. tangledupinblu

Yeah, but they "threatened" to call me manager in order to bypass the statute. The only people exempt of the overtime pay are managers and owners.

I don't care for the title when there is no pay to go along with it! God, i almost sounded like a millennial right there.

jubella2 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  17. SurlyOldManMN

That's not a universal truth. Granted it's more likely to be salaried at higher levels so it feels like hourly = **** pay, but now you're talking different work entirely. Normally I lose money going salaried in exchange for flexibility and a few other benefits.

Have you talked to your company about options that won't burn you out? Never know what you could swing if you don't ask...

18. Mnelson

That's a little complicated for me but I get your point.

19. JasonoJordan

Well if you decide to start up detailing on the side let me know. I have a wagon you can experiment on and can even do it in my garage lol.

tangledupinblu and Mnelson like this.
  20. tangledupinblu

I have a bugeye that he could experiment on as well.

Mnelson likes this.
  21. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I have a Supra he can't make worse without considerable effort

Mnelson and tangledupinblu like this.
  22. Mnelson

I've done a worthy amount of research in the past and a little experimenting before but it sounds like I should find some tools and hit the ground running.

Similar to tuning my sti.. I could do it for someone else but I don't have real world experience besides my own car.

Maybe I'll open a shop called "boost and buff".

23. SurlyOldManMN

Perhaps "boost in the buff"? For your "raw performance" needs.

silver03 likes this.
  24. curly2k3

I'd assume you'd get more interest, more rapidly if you named it "Rub N' Blow"

jubella2 likes this.
  25. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Pretty much any dealership would love to have extra detailers so help out on nights and weekends. Pay wont be the best but it's easy manual labor and generally pretty flexible. I work in sales at Minnetonka Subaru and love working for Morries.

Mike

26. Mnelson

So I stopped into advanced auto where a buddy of mine works and basically got hired PT on the spot, which I wasn't actually expecting.

As mentioned earlier, the tax can be a make or break. For me, the pt won't push me over that bracket but I'm losing a lot of what little I'll probably make..

Has anyone had experience with this? Any advice on if it's worth it? Personally I'd prefer detailing for cash in my garage, as I've spent plenty of time to research that and tuning lately. The only thing holding me back is the lack of tools.

27. JasonoJordan

here are links to the 2017 tax brackets

Minnesota

FED

So you will want to take a look at your current earnings and your estimated additional earnings from the PT work and see if they difference will push you into another bracket or not.
    In my experiences extra money is extra money. You are not going to really ever end up in a spot where you look at your tax return and the money you get back and go well **** wish I had not made that extra $5,000 doing my PT job because I would of got an extra back at tax time. The extra income far out weights the extra tax return in every case I have encountered

28. curly2k3

I had to pay almost as much in taxes as I made at Arnzen two years in a row.

29. JasonoJordan

You have to start deducting all them handies you give out.

30. tangledupinblu

That sounds like alot of work.

31. Mnelson

On top of that... The project I mentioned in the first post was that I'm buying a house soon, that needs some fixing. I did the math and I'll stay under my bracket, I lose a big chunk each month and I'll have to dish out for a tax advisor... But the dough will be a good way to pay for new appliances.

32. JasonoJordan

If you are looking for a quality reasonably price tax preparer check out

http://abctaxservice.tax/

Have used them for 4 years now. Great people to work with. If your interested let me know and I can get you a referral sheet. Saves you $25 saves me $25.

33. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Detailing/Lot attendant at dealerships! The bigger ones tend to pay a bit more. I'm getting paid $11.75/hr starting, at a small Acura dealership.

34. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

I wish I could've gotten a job detailing at your dealership. Never got a call back though :(