Partout pricing

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Butthau5, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of parts from an 02 wrx I can sell but I have no clue where to begin with setting a price for all my stuff. How do you guys determine how much something is worth? I don't want to be asking for too much but also definitely don't want to sell myself short. Thanks for any insight y'all have to offer.
    Things I have that I'm not sure what they're worth are driveshaft, strut/hub assembly, rear diff (has bad seal), axles, transmission (found some small gear chunks on the plug but up until it was pulled it was functioning), power steering parts but no pump. All that stuff is currently out and could be sold if someone wants to make an offer before I make a proper post for it all.
    I'll also have lots of body panels but not really in best shape either because of rust or hail damage. I didn't put this post in the FS category because I'm mainly asking for help in determining a starting price for these items.
    PXL_20210128_033223461.jpg Thanks again. Pics for attention.

2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

With the exception of an axle-back exhaust that was almost new, all of the car parts I have disposed of over the last few years I ended up giving them away even though I knew there was SOME value in them. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Unless the item is exceptionally rare or expensive, most of our "prized possessions" are worth relatively little to other people. I ended up giving away most of it as I was happy to find someone who could actually use it, or hell, even if they were going to go to the trouble to sell it, they could use the money more than I could (granted, that last part says a lot about where yourself and others are in life). I've even changed my mind about accepting any payment after assessing the individual while chatting with them when they came over. In the end, it made no difference in my financial health going forward and I was just glad to have them out of my sight after years (decades in some cases) of moving them about and wondering what to do with them. Good luck.

3. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I usually say make me an offer because people generally know what they're worth or i give stuff away (but dont tell people it'll be free up front).

Fyi i may be interested in some GD parts when you have a list ready.

Optimus8304 and Butthau5 like this.
  4. glen

glen Well-Known Member

If you have no idea at all, you could start with this.
    https://upullrparts.com/part-pricing/

Used parts is very much a supply vs. Demand business, if you have something that commonly breaks or wears out, you'll have an easier time selling. Otherwise, unless your version is an upgrade compared to what's common/standard, it can be tough to find a buyer.

Optimus8304, Butthau5 and euro like this.
  5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I look at www.car-part.com and see what junkyards are charging (this is an application-specific lookup, not like Upull), and how available they are.

glen, Krazylegz1485, Butthau5 and 2 others like this.
  6. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Handy websites! Throwing my hat in the ring here to be able to find this later.

Butthau5 likes this.