Passed on a Focus RS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by W02RX, Sep 19, 2016.

1. W02RX

W02RX Well-Known Member

I ordered 11 months ago and it finally showed up. I passed and got my deposit back.

Here were some reasons:

1. I thought it would be good to not have car payments for once, my current car is fine and is just a couple months from being paid off.
    2. I didn't care for the "clutch pack" diffs and the "overspeed" rear end.
    3. Engine sound through speakers (easily disabled)
    4. Exhaust pops are "fake." (could be tuned out, or maybe tuned for an actual anti-lag?)

Reasons I may have screwed up:

1. I had a deal written up for under MSRP
    2. Subaru or anyone may never make the manual transmission AWD hatch that I actually want

I thought I would post this because internet.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Pics or it didn't happen, because internet?

3. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

I'd go with you just screwed up.

pillboy likes this.
  4. W02RX

W02RX Well-Known Member

Any chance Subaru will make a hatch w/o a CVT? Yeah maybe I did screw up. I could find out where they are with the '17 orders.

5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I think you had to wait so long for it you finally grew up.

EricS and Kneel Weiß like this.
  6. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

If you were really able to get this UNDER msrp, you should have bought it and resold. I've spoken with a couple of dealers. They are asking $7000-$10000 over,

retreif and clajiness like this.
  7. W02RX

W02RX Well-Known Member

I maybe did grow up, partly because I was making the $600 payment to myself for 11 months waiting for the car and it added up to enough to payoff my current one.

When I had them write up the deal in October last year it was before the hype, I also had a letter from xplan saying the RS was eligible, which who knows what that rep was thinking, but it was signed in at $1000 below MSRP. Looking at the Focus RS boards though I do think one can be had at MSRP if you are willing to do the effort. I did think about taking it and reselling but I didn't want the hassle.

8. W02RX

W02RX Well-Known Member

I also may be past the "one car has to do everything" phase. I do like sleepers tho. But having a practical car and a fun car makes sense in some ways.

9. toyotanos

toyotanos Well-Known Member

I highly support the two-car lifestyle. The daily should always be dead reliable. If it's not, you're just begging for trouble. The race car can be as dumb and unreliable as you want, and it won't get you fired or in hot water since the stock daily is always there for you. That said, I also absolutely hate drive-by-wire manuals, and the Ford ST I drove was no exception. I'm leaning towards it having been a good choice.

10. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Virtually any new car you buy now is dead reliable. And a lot of them are fun. If you can just resist the urge to modify them because you or some small time tuner thinks they are smarter than the army of engineers that an auto manufacturer has working on any given model.