People who attended the RS Motors Dyno day, FYI!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by RiftsWRX, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

COOL! :D

3. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

i'm a little dumb when it comes to tuning, but if the problem boils down to an over worked maf sensor what is the solution?
    perrin big maf?

4. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

**** Jorge, you're running into a tough crowd in that thread!

5. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

Yeah. I'm trying to NOT have you guys need to tweak and/or change your maps for different weather. IMO that defeats the purpose.

I feel like I'm loosing here though. So I at least am trying to do the responsible thing by letting you guys know what's up before someone has a problem.

Perhaps if people went on their and vocalized their requests for a more robust system, they'd be inclined to oblige.

6. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RiftsWRX

Perhaps if people went on their and vocalized their requests for a more robust system, they'd be inclined to oblige.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah right with the di$k swinging going on there I dont see Nathan helping.

Cough hydra cough

7. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DISCOPOPE

i'm a little dumb when it comes to tuning, but if the problem boils down to an over worked maf sensor what is the solution?
    perrin big maf?

Yes and No

Yes the peak voltage at a given gr/sec will go down

the problem is you set boost for say 15 psi 300gr/sec at 75 degrees. Now the temp goes down to 50 degrees and you have 350 gr/sec at 15 psi since the air is denser.

Does that help?

8. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

Exactly. What Nathan is basically telling you/I is that we need to "detune" your car, which still won't deal with the background map dwell. But if they're not willing to help us, we really don't have a choice but to detune, or setup a winterized type map for you.

ugh.

9. bikerboy

LOL up the creek.

So that still does not help on the issue when I went to the fail safe map with wastegate preasure and I still get the knock.

**** 100 oct is getting expensive

10. DISCOPOPE

so current solution should be big maf and a cold weather map?
    if you added fuel and are still getting the knock events does that not support nathan's view on the overworked maf sensor?

i do agree that should be a better way to handle this than having to reload a set of maps twice a year.
    am i correct in thinking there is there currently no way to use a intake temp sensor to alter openloop fueling?

11. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

You can currently alter the fueling based on IAT exceeding a set value in the parameters, i.e. when you are getting heat soaked in stop and go traffic.

So that's a high temp correction, but there's no corresponding cold temp correction.

12. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DISCOPOPE

so current solution should be big maf and a cold weather map?
    if you added fuel and are still getting the knock events does that not support nathan's view on the overworked maf sensor?

i do agree that should be a better way to handle this than having to reload a set of maps twice a year.
    am i correct in thinking there is there currently no way to use a intake temp sensor to alter openloop fueling?

The reason that the big MAF is used is if you are maxing out the voltage ie 4.9-5.0V on a consistant basis. The big MAF lowers the voltage for the same gr/sec of charge.

say 300 gr/sec is 4.9V

large MAF with 300 gr/sec would be 4.0V

As Joel said you have a hot correction but no cold

13. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

and the inverse of the problem is that if I use the correction algorithm to handle the cold weather, there is no hot weather, so again, it's one compromise after another. Either we're swapping maps fall/spring, or we're swapping settings for the corrections fall/spring.

14. DISCOPOPE

ah, ok i see. thank you for the explaination and for being patient with my questions.

so with the maf what we really need is a sensor that can handle a wider range of flow, not just shifting the entire range up via a larger tube. karman vortec?

there is alot more info in that nasioc thread that i didnt read before today.

15. bikerboy

ah, ok i see. thank you for the explaination and for being patient with my questions.

so with the maf what we really need is a sensor that can handle a wider range of flow, not just shifting the entire range up via a larger tube. karman vortec?

there is alot more info in that nasioc thread that i didnt read before today.

Well there is a wish list thread in the EM forum that is where we are putting what we want.

The real problem is that we see days where we have 40-50 swings in temp. Unfortuniately we only get corrections in one direction when we need them in both at a minumum.

You should look at the Thread listed above as I added some logs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.