Please tell me this isnt normal, 2015 wrx woes

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by thomas franz, Oct 17, 2018.

1. thomas franz

thomas franz Well-Known Member

I recently went into morries brooklyn park for bugeye parts and ended up leaving with a 2015 wrx. I test drove it in rush hour and all seemed good. The next day i went to pull on it a little to see how well it boosts etc.. well boost was all over the place so I brought it back. We used my warranty to replace the turbo and nothing has changed. It still boosts only 12 to 14 psi. At this point im paying a lot of money for a car thats just sitting in shops. Took a week to get my turbo replaced, waiting for parts/warranty info, etc... Long story short i go to morries with a boost leak and they replace the turbo which didnt fix anything. Also when i got the car back they had broke one of my mirrors. They claim theyre ordering the part for that but who knows, they didnt totally own up to it. Im going to jm auto on Friday for a boost leak test because I refuse to let this thing sit in the shop for weeks at a time. Ive owned it for 2 weeks and have driven it maybe 3 days. Im hoping someone can reassure me that this isnt normal. I have always heard great things about morries. I bought this so i could have something new and reliable and its turning out to be such a headache... the joys of owning a subaru

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Hmmm, not normal in my 2015 BRZ. But my boost threshold is much lower. Lol

Curious to see what JM finds out for you...keep us posted.

PS: I don’t think that this is “normal” or there would be more threads about it.

Aegis likes this.
  3. thomas franz

The new system seems to boost pretty oddly. It looks like the internet consensus is that they overboost to about 20 to 22 psi right away then the ecu adjusts to hold about 15 psi at wot. This is what i was seeing before my turbo replacement. It would also fluctuate by 4 or 5 psi under wot. Now it has a 2 psi wot fluctuation and no over boost with the new turbo. This is all super new to me. The overboost feature seems pretty weird. But what do i know.

4. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

FYI, I believe there's a new class action lawsuit with apparently new ECU flashes that ****ed up driving on WRX and XT's. I believe the claim, personally, since mine has been far ****tier since service and my AP won't flash for whatever reason.

5. thomas franz

I did a bit of reading on what appears to be a terrible factory tune. I didnt know there was a lawsuit though. Im the 3rd owner and mine has 30k miles. I would have to have them look up my vin to see if i got the reflash. But it sounds like if i didnt i shouldnt? Part of me wonders if i should just have jm tune the car. Ill know Friday what jm does or doesnt find when they boost leak test my car. I was able to do 1 pull on my way to work. The overboost spike was 17 to 18 psi. Wot was pretty much 12 to 13 psi. Pretty sad considering my bugeye has been holding 19 psi for like 4 years now.

6. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

3rd owner!!? Dayum! They were probably unimpressed as well.

That tune on your bugeye isn’t a fair comparison it sounds. At least the bugeyes held their stock 12-14psi consistently!

thomas franz likes this.
  8. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I wasn't impressed with Subaru and their responses to my complaints when I initially brought the thing in either. Probably won't buy another newer turbo Subaru ever again at this point, but still like my FXT (for now at least).

9. thomas franz

First owner was a lease. Morries tried to play the 2nd owner off as a divorce but i suspect your right. My bugeye has always been a cobb ots stage 2 tune. Its not the best but not the worst.

10. thomas franz

Yeah we will see how it goes. My excitement has quickly turned into disapointment. With my warranty i can just keep bringing it back but then im paying wrx prices to drive an automatic impreza wagon. Im really hoping jm can sort it out. Or at least point morries in the right direction. Ill have to ask them about the reflash.

11. thomas franz

Just got back from jm and got what im hoping is good news. With a boost leak test anything over 10 psi would leak out the exhaust. So its definitely leaking. During a smoke test they found smoke comming from my egr. Jm thinks either the egr is leaking or something else is internally leaking. Morries is going to replace my egr monday. If that fixes it i will be super happy. If nothing changes i get to worry about what is leaking internally.

12. thomas franz

So subaru drove the car and pulled data which was sent to some higher up techs. My car is within parameters according to subaru. So i was basically just told that wot boost fluctuations and having a lower target boost than everyone else in the country is normal. I could deal with having an 18 psi target instead of 22 but really subaru? 12 to 15 psi boost fluctuation at wot is normal? Looks like its time to void the warranty and tune it. Super salty that my 15 wrx boosts like garbage and subaru says thats normal. Who makes a car that cant even hold consistant stock boost?!

13. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

When we had a 17 WRX the stock map was garbage and boost would fluctuate all over. Once we got an AP, loaded an OTS map and removed the restrictor pill it was much better. Pro-tune would’ve been preferred, but we opted this route to not void the warranty until we eventually traded it for a STI.

14. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

Brooklyn Park Morries is a place I would never take my car to. I inquired about a used STi there and they were worse in price than Burnsville who I also hold in pretty low regard as they treated me like dog poop. In the end I have been a happy customer in service and with car purchases at Morries Minnetonka. Pretty safe to say I will be doing my shopping there from now on.

I did the same thing though with my 2013 WRX. I went to get mudflaps installed, and ended up getting the bug for a 15 STi. Lol.