Plumber for Water Heater Replacement - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by loxx0050, Jul 11, 2019.

1. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

So now I've discovered my water heater is leaking at the base (not anywhere near the drain port or the relief valve either from what I can tell). Unit is almost 9 years old so it's about that time for it to decide to quit on me.

Any recommendations on a decent reputable plumber to install a new water heater. I'd prefer full service if possible where they provide the water heater instead of buying one on my own and haul away the old one.

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Where are you located.

3. loxx0050

I guess that could help. Brooklyn Park.

Wondering if I should do it myself honestly since hooking up the water lines isn't that hard and same with the gas line since everything is already plumbed up.

4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

They are very straight forward to do yes. If you know how to solder pipe you will be fine.

5. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

If you have the old gate valves on the water lines, replace them with quarter-turn ball valves. Also sit the heater in an aluminum pan and run PVC to the floor drain for the next time it decides to leak and you aren't home.

7. loxx0050

Actually the floor drain isn't anywhere convenient where my furnace/water heater is located (because of that I've got a condensation pump setup for my HVAC). But that pan suggestion is a good one (I didn't even think of that since I only confirmed this morning that it is indeed leaking). I did have a bucket just under the drain spot and relief valve spot in case those failed. But that didn't do squat since it was the base of the unit about 135 degrees around the other side. I did previously install a 1/4 turn shutoff valve on the main line right before the water softener intake though when I replaced that a few years ago (was pretty easy since that was also a replacement of an old unit...old unit worked but I could never figure how that ancient dial and getting the regeneration settings to what it should be based on how hard the water is in my neck of the woods).

pillboy likes this.
  8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

My house will be 34 years old this fall. We are in Eden Prairie and they soften the municipal water to the point the we do not need a softener. The original water heater was a Bradford White. I proactively replaced it at 18 years of age with one of the same brand, but 50 gallons instead of 40. The replacement is now 15+ years old. I have never drained it and it did not come with a replaceable anode rod. I might try to go to 20 years on this one and if it makes it I will probably go with the same brand yet again.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  9. loxx0050

I ended up just replacing it myself since I am already drained from my home repairs from the previous Ice Dam season and wanted to minimize costs. Bought an upgraded unit at Menards because my wife had some credit card reward gift cards plus it was an 11% rebate weekend so that worked out in my favor. By upgraded I got a 50 gallon tank with a 9 year warranty (previously had a 40 gallon with a 6 year warranty).

Wasn't too bad to replace after I finally got it drained but still had it leaking at the base that had all the fun sediment stuff for quite a bit. Still had to reroute the pipes since the replacement unit was 9" taller than the one that came out.

pillboy and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Hooray for diy!