Power Window Controller?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Chux, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

My mom's 2012 Impreza Premium Sedan, stocker than stock, CVT, 150k miles or so.

She rolled the window down about half way while driving a couple days ago, and it hasn't moved since. Won't go up or down. Helping it does nothing. No motor noise or anything, so I don't think it's even trying.

Every other power window circuit I've worked on (and, in fact, the other 3 in the car), are just a switch and a motor. But for the Auto Up/Down function on the driver's, it has a controller built into the switch and 3 un-labeled wires running from the controller to the motor assembly.
    Window diagram.jpg

Diagnostic for the motor says to apply power to the 2 motor terminals and see if it moves. Diagnostic for the switch, however, says:
    I don't have a SSM, or a scope (of course it doesn't say what you are looking for with a conventional scope).

There's a calibration procedure to set the top and bottom limits of the travel for the AUTO functions, so I assume these extra 3 wires (4 with the ground) are for a travel sensor.

I'm tempted to go out of order on the diagnostic flow chart:frantic:, and apply power to the motor, and if it moves, just replace the switch (without testing it). But I'm worried that it could be an issue with that sensor built into the motor, but there's no information about testing that side of the circuit.

UPDATE: should anyone come across this. My dad pretty blindly took things apart to look for a bad connection. Found no obvious signs, and put it back together. It's worked flawlessly ever since (almost 6 months).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020