Project: 4Runner

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Chux, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Is it done yet?

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

lol....getting close. I think I'll try to get the gas tank in today, for good.

3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

It moved under it's own power today.

Mounted the gas tank, hooked up the wiring (now using stock fuel pump wiring, as it's in the tank now), hooked up the extended fuel filler, and the high pressure fuel line. Then I poured a few gallons of gas in there. After priming the pump a few times, gas came out of the return. So, since I knew it was hooked up correctly, and pumping, I connected the return line.

Once it was running, I moved some crap around, and backed the truck out into the daylight. First time it's moved under it's own power in almost 3 years.

[​IMG]IMG_20120606_191638 by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20120606_191646 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Looks sweet, IMO. Loving that rear bumper in the daylight

[​IMG]IMG_20120606_191703 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Set the cowl on it again to get a look at it with the rest of the truck
    [​IMG]IMG_20120606_192432 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Then after putting it away, I wired in the alternator and a couple other piddly things. Then I painted the cowl black, and set it on there again:
    [​IMG]IMG_20120606_204432 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I think I'm going to paint the center section of the hood black as well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    TSTRBOY2004 likes this.
  4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Muffler on (needs another hanger...but close). So I took it for a little test-drive.

[​IMG]IMG_20120616_135620 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Not running 100%. Not a lot of power, it bogs down more than a bit, but it does OK. It's got a few vacuum lines that aren't connected, and the 02 sensor isn't connected, so I'll get those issues fixed, and see where it's at then.

Also, I don't think I'm getting anywhere near full travel out of the throttle plate. Need to look into that.

But, getting closer still

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Nice Chux, looking forward to some pics of this badboy on the trail one of these days!

6. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

ahh...great update. Chux, once this is done. what can your readers look forward to next?

7. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

Hopefully lots of pictures out wheeling it with my super jeep in the backround

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Brat, XT6, more 4.3Runner, V6 Celica, etc.

There will always be projects

9. dmoo

dmoo Well-Known Member

BRB Duluth rock crawlin

10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

So I had some issues with it....turned out my fuel pump strainer rig had fallen off, and there was debris getting in the pump.

Got that sorted out with a pump designed for the engine, with the correct strainer. No more problems.

It was hiding in my "garage" for a few days, to try to keep dry while the bedliner dried....

But it's out now, and better than ever. I'm pretty unimpressed with the "Edge Lock" of the masking tape I used....but whatever. It's a functional paint job.
    [​IMG]2017-07-25_02-29-26 by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20130505_171406 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I also added a couple radios:
    [​IMG]IMG_20130505_171553 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Grayguy likes this.
  12. souy07

souy07 Well-Known Member

BEAST!!!

13. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Long overdue update...

A few pictures from a wheeling trip last year:
    [​IMG]972218_10200669034761098_1148223617_n by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]969736_10200669039921227_240595646_n by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]936714_10200669037681171_93217134_n by Numbchux, on Flickr

New tires, needed to step to 16" wheels to clear the brakes on the rear axle that I plan to use. 315/75r16 GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs.
    [​IMG]IMG_20130921_121021 by Numbchux, on Flickr

These are from this last weekend....I was with a pretty large group, but we kept moving most of the day. So really the only pictures I have are from this one obstacle when everyone was out watching....

[​IMG]IMG_52130963360488 by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_52134495177976 by Numbchux, on Flickr

thebionicman, Nhibbs and Deride like this.
  14. souy07

souy07 Well-Known Member

oh nice!!! I still can't believe you did all that work on top of dirt.... This thing is awesome. now needs a turbo or super charger!! lol or maybe swap a 1UZFE. lol jk

15. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Well, long time without update. Didn't do any wheeling in the 4.3Runner this summer. I got married in Alaska in June, we drove the 4.3Runner to our Reception barely into August here in Duluth which was really fun.

There's a 1/8 mile drag race run on a public street right in the heart of Duluth every year. I put the 4.3Runner in the car show with my buddy's Jeep on 35's. That was pretty fun, and the first time I had the topper off in a couple years.

Over Labor day weekend, some good friends and I (formerly known as the Ziptie Rally Team) took a mountain biking trip to visit another friend near Breckenridge, Colorado. We spent 2 days riding downhill at Keystone, and then drove out to Moab to ride some cross country. Unfortunately, I took a nasty tumble early in the first day at Keystone, and broke my collar bone. While that took me out of riding for the rest of the trip, I still had a blast. First time in Moab.

We did some dispersed camping for a couple nights. Our group was 2 Tacomas, a WJ Grand-Cherokee and a Ford Focus. The Focus had to go real careful getting to our first campsite. The second night, we set up camp closer to town, left the Focus and the bikes, and explored further out. It was a blast, some of the most fun I've ever had offroad. We made our way up along the side of a canyon, and watched the sun set from the top of the pass into the next canyon.

[​IMG]

This made me realize something. While I love the 4.3Runner, it would have been miserable on the road, and bored on the trail... I could tow it out, but then I'd be stuck setting up camp somewhere, and then making day trips. I'd really like to have more of an expedition rig, and while this rig could do it, I think I'd rather trade some sheer offroad capability for something with better street manners, more seats, more doors, Air-Conditioning, and towing capacity.

Long story short, I've decided to sell the 4.3Runner, looking at likely getting a Sequoia. Maybe an FJ100 cruiser if I find a deal, but I think I'd rather have the space of the Sequoia than the aftermarket support of the cruiser.

With that said, I've put together a plan of projects to wrap up some of the issues that have shown up, finish the projects I've started, and get it ready for a new owner. I'll document most of that here this winter, and hopefully be starting a new build thread next spring

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    TSTRBOY2004 likes this.
  16. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Step one on that list has been wiring. When I did the engine swap, I did what I tell everyone never to do....and that is install it unfinished, and diagnose as I went. This had actually started causing issues (extra wires, poor routing, not sealed, etc.), and because of how tight behind the engine it was routed it was not possible to adequately clean up the wiring, and finalize the install.

So, I pulled the intake manifold and distributor so I would have room to work, and pulled the GM harness completely back out. I've completely removed everything unused, I've shortened some of the wiring to clean up the install, I'll be using heat shrink fabric tubing to clean up the install and protect the wires. This way I can document exactly how it was done so a future owner doesn't have to reverse engineer what I did before being able to diagnose any issues.

I also did have an auxiliary fuse panel for some of my extra circuits mounted to the kick panel near the passenger door. I believe do to it's proximity to the door, this panel got some moisture in it, and corroded really badly. So, I've got a much nicer Blue Sea fuse panel that I'll be mounting behind the glove box. In an effort to get better routing for the wiring, I decided I would drill a new hole for the wiring to pass through right behind the A/C evaporator, and since the rest of the A/C system has been deleted, I swapped out the evap box for the duct out of a truck that didn't have A/C (ebay for about $30...):
    [​IMG]NCM_1215 by Numbchux, on Flickr

This improves the amount of room behind the glove box immensely!! The fuse box will mount to the front side of it, and it leaves enough room above and behind it to mount the GM ECU safely.

EricS likes this.
  17. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Came here to update Photobucket links....couple I still need to rehost...

Moved last summer, the 4Runner didn't get moved for a month or so, and the house got robbed while it was empty. Most valuable thing stolen was the wheels and tires off the 4Runner:
    [​IMG]20161006_131241 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Trailered it out on some stock tires

[​IMG]2017-07-25_02-33-31 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Bought some used 33" mud tires on alloy wheels:
    [​IMG]20170518_183037 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Frame after washing:
    [​IMG]20170708_084932 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Some time with a wire wheel, marine clean, prep and ready, and then POR15 shot through a $15 Harbor Freight HVLP gun....
    [​IMG]20170708_153237 by Numbchux, on Flickr

And on a rock in the backyard:
    [​IMG]2017-07-10_10-30-27 by Numbchux, on Flickr

18. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

This thing has never run right. 1 year fuel injection system (first year of the Vortec spider injection, but '93 got the electronic transmission, so things changed again). I've tinkered with so much about the setup, replaced parts, checked wiring, and it all seems kosher, but it just will not run right. It's starts very hard, it randomly stalls, etc. The one thing I can't fix, is the headers interfere with the second knock sensor (also unique to a few years of this setup). My FSM says that if it isn't hooked up, it will throw a DTC, but still run right. But that's the same FSM that had the plug wire diagram mirrored (good work GM). On top of that, I cannot get this transmission to stop leaking, and I've never liked how the 4WD has functioned (transfer case designed for a manual transmission, was a dance to get it shifted between high and low). So, more than a year ago, I threw in the towel. I'm not spending any more time or money on this setup.

My uncle says I angered the Toyota gods by replacing 2 cams and 5 injectors (cold start), with 1 cam and 1 stupidly-over-engineered-but-still-just-one injector.

After more than a year of research, and watching for the right deal, I picked up a couple pieces. This one a few weeks ago:
    [​IMG]2018-12-10_09-00-43 by Numbchux, on Flickr

And then last weekend I picked up 4 cams and 9 injectors:
    [​IMG]2019-01-21_08-35-58 by Numbchux, on Flickr

That's a T100 Transfer case, and 4.0l DOHC all aluminum V8 and A340E automatic transmission from a '94 Lexus LS400. The T100 transfer case is somewhat unique, as it will bolt right to the back of the RWD Lexus transmission and allow 4WD, but have the front driveshaft output on the passenger side like my 4Runner.

So, Project: Pushrod Delete has begun a slow roll. I'm not going to start tearing it apart until the cold weather breaks a little bit (to keep it mobile, and so I don't have to park outside). But I am going to start tinkering on getting the new setup ready. Getting the harness stripped/marked, I'm going to replace the capacitors in the ECU (they're fairly notorious for leaking and causing all kinds of weird issues).

Ctracey218 and jubella2 like this.
  19. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I have some extra space in my garage, but not a ton, so I immediately made a crude wooden cart to set the engine/transmission on so I could move it around to work on/around it
    [​IMG]
    20190126_145302
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Modified the throttle body to delete the traction control (ah, the '90s. Traction control was an entirely separate system from the engine control, with a separate butterfly in the throttle body to cut power, but this means it's super easy to delete), and replaced the second TPS with a fitting for the IACV hose.
    [​IMG]
    20190315_173740
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

The starter is buried under the intake manifold between the cylinder banks, absolute nightmare to do in the vehicle. Also a good opportunity to replace some gaskets and look for other signs of trouble. I contemplated throwing some brushes in it myself as I've done on other vehicles, but due to the complexity, I opted to have a local shop rebuild it. I'm glad I did, as he said the brushes weren't too terrible, but the bearings were completely cooked and dry.

Lexus wiring is 80% prepped. I'm going to power it up and run it on the stand, probably next weekend. That way I can check a few things, one is to get a control temperature reading for the exhaust manifolds. I want to try Eastwoods internal ceramic exhaust coating as a DIY heat-reduction option, but I want to get some real-world numbers.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  20. tangledupinblu

Video please.:thumbup:

21. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yes, a camera (or several) is an important part of my plan to run a V8 with open headers on the stand :frantic:

22. tangledupinblu

Hahahaha
    *headphones beware*

23. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I'm curious to see how this turns out, I have a soft spot for those 1st gen 4Runners.

TSTRBOY2004 and tangledupinblu like this.
  24. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

you need a Seqouia (not mine in pic) for an expedition haha.. its huge though... Loving ours.. hope to get the LC going again though too
    image.jpeg

Ntxhuav_Khang likes this.
  25. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I was like 80% decided to replace this truck with a 1st gen Sequoia (already have a 2 page spreadsheet on upgrade parts, lol, and had this posted for sale in many places) several years ago. 4Runner must have overheard that, and got pissed and left me stranded. Even though it turned out to be a fuse, that was a bit of a wake up call that I needed to get it much better sorted out to maximize it's resale value. And it was THAT project, that made me realize I hated that 4.3, and led to this project.

Once I finish this, I may put it up for sale again. But since my wife and I have decided not to have a second kid, and our daughter will be big enough to switch to forward-facing in the car, the appeal of the 4-doors of the Sequoia isn't nearly as strong. Also, watching the values of 1st gen 4Runners over the last few years, I think I'll regret it if I sell it now.

26. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

VERY close to being able to run it. Plugged in all the wiring and hooked up a battery over the weekend. ECU powers up (verified with a test light on the CEL, comes on at first, and flashes in diagnostic mode). Fuel pump controller is providing voltage.

I have to rig up a makeshift fuel system (I don't want to buy a pump, so it'll probably be an in-tank pump dangling in a bucket of fuel....)

Ntxhuav_Khang and tangledupinblu like this.
  27. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

From last weekend...

ShortytheFirefighter and glen like this.
  28. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Oh man.....
    [​IMG]
    20190513_214020
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Installing a Transgo shift kit, and swapping the shift shaft for a 4WD unit (which has the linkage on the LH side of the trans, instead of the RH. Most people modify the linkage)
    [​IMG]
    20190513_174415
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Some paint:
    [​IMG]
    2019-04-25_02-37-45
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Fuse/relay parts are here. Replacing the stock 4Runner fuse box, and adding many circuits and relays for this engine, radiator fan, high-amp alternator, headlights (stock Toyota are switched ground and notorious for having voltage drop), etc.
    [​IMG]
    20190430_181304~01
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

retreif likes this.
  29. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

RWD Lexus transmission, meet a T100 transfer case, I think you'll get along well:
    [​IMG]
    20190519_143126
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Had to drill and tap for the 7th bolt for the transfer case mount, cut down the output shaft, drill out the hole for the Lexus speed sensor to fit in the T100 housing, make a spacer, and drill and tap for a mounting hole.
    [​IMG]
    20190519_143138
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Still have to finish modding the tone wheel for that speed sensor, and then it can get bolted together for good.

30. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Trying out a thermal exhaust coating for this build.

Nhibbs and ShortytheFirefighter like this.
  31. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Life pushed this project off the front burner for nearly a year. But it's back.

[​IMG]2020-04-26_09-58-27 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I'm unemployed for another week. I'm hoping to get this to the point where it can move around the yard under it's own power in that time without completely neglecting the children.

tangledupinblu and euro like this.
  32. euro

euro Well-Known Member

How did i miss this thread, I miss my old off road rig.

33. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Took this picture a couple days ago.

[​IMG]
    2020-04-30_09-33-30
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Painted the frame in the engine bay with POR15 last night. 1UZ goes in for a test fit tonight to really make some decisions about placement/fitment. Then, some fabrication...I forgot to order the 5/16 line for the fuel return, that and the transfer case mount won't be here until the middle of next week.

34. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Test fit
    [​IMG]
    20200430_234415
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Decent radiator clearance to my 3 row Toyota radiator. And I'm making a couple changes that should allow the engine to slide back another inch or so.
    [​IMG]
    20200430_234426
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

35. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Swapping the SC400 mid-sump oil pan for an LS400 front-sump. Had to wait for Lexus parts for some gaskets (some parts are also valid Toyota parts, as the Tundra/Sequia/4Runner/Land Cruiser 4.7 is related to this engine, but if it's unique to the 1UZ, it has to come from a Lexus Dealer), so special order into Lexus of Wayzata, and then another day on Speedee up here.

I'm so glad that I ended up doing this. This engine clearly has had a timing belt and water pump put on it fairly recently, so I wasn't going to touch it. But since I had the oil pan off, I decided to reseal the oil pump (pan has to come off...), so I had to take the timing belt off. Come to find the fancy washer behind the tensioner was left off, so the tensioner could not move freely! Luckily that is a Toyota part, so for $6, that will show up next week (can go on with the engine in the truck if I happen to have a productive weekend).

Bought some cheap ebay universal LS motor mounts. Modified the bolt pattern to bolt to the 1UZ:
    [​IMG]
    20200507_204322
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

And bolted up.
    [​IMG]
    20200507_205111
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

36. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Finally took a picture of the clean engine bay with the painted frame. Looks soooo much better.

[​IMG]
    20200516_072546
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Finished swapping oil pans, resealed the oil pump, fixed the timing belt tensioner, resealed the rear cover, cleaned up the wiring, cut the flanges off the manifolds, and stuffed it back in the truck.

Still a lot to do, it wasn't supported by the truck yet, I did put the tcase crossmember in and propped things up on some wood blocks (have to build the motor mounts yet, and got the wrong tcase mount.

[​IMG]
    20200517_163946
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    20200518_070708
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

These motor mounts are going to work out nicely
    [​IMG]
    20200518_070717
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

JaloP likes this.
  37. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

It's actually bolted to the frame. No wood blocks involved.

Frame-side motor mount brackets built. These sit right onto the tabs on the stock pads on the frame, I put the 2 tabs at different angles to improve access to the rear mounting bolt (between the 2 tabs). Don't judge my ugly flux core welds, they'll hold.
    [​IMG]20200530_095553 by Numbchux, on Flickr

and installed

[​IMG]20200530_113119 by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]20200530_113128 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Then I moved to the transfer case mount.

At a glance, it looked like the '96 T100 mount would bolt to my crossmember. So close....but no
    [​IMG]20200530_123416 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Little tickle with the dremel, and I got those to tighten down adequately. Then carefully drilled 4 holes to catch the rear factory captive nuts through the meat of the crossmember, since it's moved back ~3".

[​IMG]2020-06-01_09-26-13 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I think I'm going to try drilling and tapping into the frame through the existing 2 holes in the crossmember that overlap the frame so I'll be back to 4 bolts on either side.

No pictures, but after over a week of soaking the inside of the gas tank in Metal Ready (in various positions) I thoroughly rinsed and dried it, vacuumed out the debris, and coated the inside with POR15 fuel tank sealer.

I went to test fit the front driveshaft, so I could plot out my exhaust routing, only to find out the front output bolt pattern on the T100 tcase is 61.5x70mm, and my old shaft was 60.1x68.3. DOH. Adapter ordered....

38. tangledupinblu

Progress!

39. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

This is the motor the 4runner deserves. Awesome project!

Chux likes this.
  40. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Built transmission cooler lines, w/fitting for a temp sensor. Mixed and matched parts between my T100 tcase and '98 4Runner floor shifter I grabbed at UPull. Still going to have to shorten the shifter linkage, but it's going to work out nicely.

Also built fuel lines. Used 5/16 NiCopp line. On the pressure side, I did a full double flare, and adapters from a flare nut to a hose barb to get a nice clean barb. On the return side, I just used the flare tool to put a little bubble in the line. I had bought some nice stainless steel mounting clamps to secure the lines, but as I mocked it up, I didn't like the metal-on-metal-on-metal situation that would leave. So I ordered these neat nylon ones from McMaster that completely encapsulate 2 lines, and mount with an M6 bolt. I'll install rivnuts to mount these to, I just have zipties through it to hold them together for mockup. This will run between the body and frame on the LH side, leaving a 1UZ stock replacement fuel filter accessible from under the vehicle (will be protected by rock sliders). I built the pressure side in 2 pieces (with the filter in the middle) on the truck, and then built the return off the truck. I have to pull the transfer case crossmember back off anyway, so I'm hoping that I can install this all as an assembly then.

[​IMG]2020-06-22_08-49-00 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  41. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Bought an electric locking rear diff and center console last night. Came with a few extra parts:

[​IMG]
    2020-07-01_11-29-42
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Planning to weld the diff from the 4runner, and swap axles (welded under the Taco, and elocker under the 4Runner). Yank the box off, patch the frame, slap the ProComp Xterrain tires (I have a set of Duratracs for the 4Runner) on, and build a simple winch boom setup on the back of the taco for lifting and moving stuff out in the yard (be able to pull an engine, etc.).

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  42. tangledupinblu

“Came with a few extra parts”. Lol

Chux and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  43. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Finished editing some video that I took last week, showing how it all fits in there.

Stayed up late last night and got a bunch of work done. Gas tank is back in, gas hard lines are snaked into place, although not fastened at all. I took the transfer case crossmember off again to clearance it some more.

[​IMG]
    2020-07-15_08-03-08
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Then I put the front driveshaft on (I really didn't want to try to line up the adapter with the crossmember in the way). Pentadapter worked great.

[​IMG]
    2020-07-15_08-02-36
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

So close to being able to fire it. Unfortunately, as soon as it runs at all, I have to move it out of the garage and get caught up on some other projects.

joebush44 likes this.
  44. derp

derp Well-Known Member

man, I should go back up north and take the truck down some trails.

45. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Little more progress. Rear driveshaft in. Wanted to prime the oil system, so I pulled the pressure sensor for the gauge, and put an old Subaru pressure switch in there, wired to a test light. Cranked it over and the light went off in no time.
    [​IMG]
    2020-07-29_09-10-27
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Spent a couple hours the other day chasing my tail. Wanted to pressurize the fuel system, and the ECU/FP Controller wouldn't prime the pump. Long story short, it doesn't. Once I got to that point, I turned it over with the ECU powered up, and the Fuel pump came right on. So I hooked up the ignitors, and it fired right up. And almost immediately started leaking from the front main seal....

So I moved on to shift linkage. I'm using a '98 4Runner floor shifter assembly, but that's a top shift transfer case, and my T100 transfer case is forward shift. So the whole shifter assembly has to move forward. So the linkage has to be shortened about 2 inches.

Here's the shifter assembly mounted to my truck. I still have to weld some more metal into the tunnel to use all the bolts, but you get the idea. Not to mention install a bunch of plastic.
    [​IMG]
    20200730_222413
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

And shortened linkage:
    [​IMG]
    20200730_222309
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Hoping to move a few things and pull it out of the garage in the next couple days.