Project Dark Fury

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by yuseforester, Feb 10, 2012.

1. yuseforester

yuseforester Well-Known Member

Okay, first things first; I know the name is silly... When my 12 year old son and I put on the new rims and drove around on the new wheels he turned to me and said, "Dad, you know when I get my own car Dark Fury will be mine, right?" And so it is...Dark Fury. Thanks Mason!

Here are the stats:

-2004 FXT 5spd w/4.44 final.
    -I'm the 3rd owner.
    -Bought used at the end of May 2011 w/ 86,xxx miles --> Just turned the clicker over on 109,xxx. Yes, I drive that much!
    -2nd owner swapped in 2004 STi ECU, STi top mount, VF39, 3" SPT turbo back exhaust (although I don't think SPT makes a performance down-pipe, so it's probably Invidia or Cobb, doesn't look catted, so my guess is Invidia), Invidia up-pipe (I know that now that I replaced it) - all unknown miles, although that person bought the car somewhere around 30k miles - and re-flashed to Cobb stage 2 STi tune - snappy, fun, reliable...that's why I loved it enough to buy it! Dealership replaced the muffler because it had a "rattle"...I'm sure I wouldn't have minded :(

Here's what I have done since:
    -GM Boost Solenoid
    -Grimmspeed cross-pipe
    -Grimmspeed up-pipe (with resistor mod)
    -Grimmspeed light-weight crank pulley
    -Phenolic spacers
    -K&N Panel Filter
    -Timing belt, timing assembly (idlers pulleys), water pump, NGK Iridiums
    -Drag DR-33 dual drilled glossy back rims (thanks Ylime!)
    -Pro-tune at RS Motors for 257 WHP and 287 WTQ (mods or RS if I'm not supposed to post this, please remove)
    -Transmission fluids are the GS cocktail; will try "Scotty's cocktail" next...

I have a neat little application for my Android phone called Torque that reports some slightly different numbers from time to time; but I'm not sure about accuracy. I'm very happy with my tune...but like anyone who has been infected with Subaru Love, I want MORE!

Here is what's next:

Phase 1:
    -KYB GR-2 struts -->Rockauto
    -Swift springs for 04-08 FXT (after extensive research this is what people seem to be the happiest with...if you don't want to be slammed to the ground, this is MN afterall!) Thanks to MAP for a sweet deal on these!
    -Brembo Gold 4pot/2pot set-up -->sourced on the web used...dang was I worried
    -StopTech Pads
    -DBA slotted rotors front and rear (rears are the DBA rotors designed for the Brembo conversion) --> Many thanks to KNS Brakes for the SUPER deal
    -TechnaFit stainless brake lines for Forester/Brembo conversion
    -Godspeed rear Brembo conversion brackets
    -STi brake booster and master cylinder -->Web sourcing, used
    -Grimmspeed master cylinder brace --> Grimmspeed actual

Before pictures below. Pictures of the cool new stuff to follow!

Alignment as recommended will be done by Jeff.

Yes, wish me luck, I'll be in the garage all weekend! The only part I'm worried about is brake booster sway and getting pedal adjustment under control.

I'm so excited, Dark Fury is going to look sah-weeeet!

Phase 2:

For horsepower mods I will be adding the following (later):
    -Grimmspeed PNP coated STi intake and TGV deletes - this will be a top feed conversion --> Thanks Putz for the help!
    -Deatschwerks 300 LPH fuel pump --> Thanks again to MAP for the deal!
    -Agency Power V2 fuel rail kit --> Thanks again Putz
    -Injectors, injectors, injectors...we'll just see what I come up with :) Probably something in the 850 CC range... (I have three sets right now: Helix 860 cc, FIC 1150 low Z with Driver, and Five-0 850 cc)
    -And of course a re-tun e!!

No turbo upgrade planned for now, going to stretch the legs on the VF39 for a bit.

Phase 3:
    -STi steering rack ('04) with whiteline bushings front roll kit
    -End links fo some make or another
    -Sway bars of some make or another
    -And of course a strut tower brace (front for sure, but may mod a rear tower brace for quick release).
    -Kartboy Short Throw with front and rear bushings
    -Mishimoto Radiator w/ new hoses

Later...? I can keep dreaming can't I? Front mount, big turbo?!

That's the short term plans, Brembo and strut/spring combo to be done this weekend :unsure: Suggestions are always welcome!

Let the fury begin! Haha, I'm a dork! Thanks for reading...if you made it this far!

Attached Files:

2. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Very nice looking ride! Some tint and some coil-overs and this baby will be off the hook!

3. yuseforester

Thanks for the compliment BroCo! I've been working up to this project for a long time. Tint and a couple other cosmetics are in order for sure (debadge, paint rear gate sash, b pillars and mirrors, get a million dollar grill from japan, some garage XTi headlights, and a STi hood scoop should just about cut it...hah, that's a lot!)

4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Cool Foz, is that the stock scoop? I think you want the JDM bugeye scoop, not the STi one, to fit the forester. I was thinking of making my own DIY grill, when I have time / money. After looking at the pics it is stock, you need a bigger scoop :)

5. yuseforester

Yes, stock scoop, a bigger scoop is going to look cool when I get that far! I imagine these are somewhat hard to find...I'll keep my eyes out.

6. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

That's quite the build you're working on. Should be one hell of a ride when you're done. Couple of things for you:
    If you want a different hood scoop, you need 02/03 fitment. You can get JDM STI hood scoops painted in the right color for about $200. There used to be a vendor on NASIOC that sold them new for whatever color you wanted.
    The "tranny cocktail" offered by GrimmSpeed is the same thing as an Uncle Scotty's cocktail.

7. yuseforester

And this is why I love MNSubaru; thanks scotty and blackzone! Who was it that used to say.."..and knowing is half the battle"? That might date me just a little!

8. yuseforester

The big beautiful Brembos and DBA rotors (Rear on top, front of bottom [t-slotted]). Here comes the fun!!

Attached Files:

9. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

I think we all remember GI Joe... those were cartoon's.

Your dyno numbers look good for a car with over 100k. Way better than mine at the moment.

That is a nice laundry list of mods as well! Oh and you could take vacation in that wheel gap.. lol kidding.

10. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

G.I. Joe.

11. yuseforester

Hah, glad we all remember! Wheel gap, nice for winter (if we had snow), hence the one inch drop I'm about to install...should give me a happy medium between overall clearance and stance.

12. yuseforester

Had very good luck with this engine; ALL highway miles at the speed or traffic limit (;)) . It's been adult driven it's whole life and never rodded on...I want her to last forever!

13. Medic_538

Not even once?? lol:p

14. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

15. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

forget the scotty's cocktail... been many a adverse opinion regarding its viability!! just run good fluid and be done with it

16. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I wasn't going to go there, but since you did... I always hear good things about extra s. I never hear anything bad about extra s. Sometimes I hear good things about scotty's cocktail. Sometimes I hear bad things about about scotty's cocktail.

Do the extra s.

17. Medic_538

I was gonna ask but figured I had better not. Where can I get this extra s?

18. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Morries Minnetonka and Walser will sell it to you by the quart. Otherwise you have to buy some obscene bulk amount. Not sure how much you'll need. My 10 legacy was 4 quarts in the trans and .8 in the rear diff.

19. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

firstly people need to learn how to drive an AWD transmission and then maybe they wouldnt have synchro issues.. hahaha

I had my 03 for 3+ yrs and beat the living snot out of it.. had 1 issue about 1 month into driving it cause I hadnt driven AWD before... dropped teh clutch at about 5500 trying to do a burnout/donut.. hahaha something popped, wouldnt go in or out of gear.. sat for an hr and I forced it out of whatever was wrong... drove it another 70k+ after without an issue...

truthfully any good fluid wont hurt whether scotty's or extra s.. but if it is a bandaid solution to damage /issues already there.. then SOA is the only result!!!

20. yuseforester

ok all, I got myself stuck... I can not get the flare nuts on the brake line to move!! any suggestions?

I am also having an f of a time getting the retaining clips of of the rear brake line strut mounts. I have pb'd the snot out of everything, won't budge. any suggestions?

21. yuseforester

Sheen gave me a couple pointers, thanks Sheen!!

22. dark_stalker

dark_stalker Well-Known Member

Nice. I wanted one before my wrx.

23. yuseforester

And Finally some updates!

It was a long weekend with a couple of problems; thank goodness for the MNSubaru community!

Here are some update pictures of the new struts and springs. Biggest problem I had was someone ground down the strut release nub on the two old front struts! Who does that? Anyways, Struts are finally back in the car...now onto the brakes!

It looks like I have solid end links already on the car, hadn't noticed that before, but sweet!!

Anyways, more pics to follow when I'm done later tonight.

Attached Files:

24. tangledupinblu

Shazam!! Keep up the good work;) I would love to see this thing on the LaXCruise this year.

25. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I am excited to hear how the brakes feel, the brake pedal on my 04 is like a wet noodle, but my 05 is a lot better. I just put some hawk pads on this weekend and it helped the pedal feel, but that is just from having full pads I am guessing.

26. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Glad to see you got it to work!

Sorry if I was grumpy on the phone. I was at work and really wanted to be eating a tub of froyo watching topgear in bed lol

27. tangledupinblu

Did you get the GS master cylinder brace on yet? I hear that it makes the car feel like it has SS brake lines. I fully intend on adding one to mah setup!

28. yuseforester

No worries man, you were very helpful! Thanks again!!

29. tangledupinblu

Lol, yeah you definitely shouldn't take anything personally with Sheen when he's hungry or tired...he's like a grizzly bear...or maybe a Panda with rabies.lol

30. yuseforester

No master cylinder brace yet; going to tackle the master cylinder (plus brace) and brake booster today. Then bleed out the brakes all around...and try to make it to OC in time to klink a few glasses!

31. yuseforester

I should have been more clear, Sheen was in a good mood as far as I could tell...so if that was grumpy you should come work a day at my office, hah!

32. tangledupinblu

You were quite clear, i just know him really well and when he's hungry he'll take your hand off if it's too close to his mouth! Hahaha, the only guy that i know that can eat the equivelance of his body weight in a week.

From my understanding, the cylinder brace is going to put an "ear to ear" grin on your face!:)

33. yuseforester

Update:

Struts and springs are installed. New Rotors, calipers, and pads installed. Stainless brake lines...well, I screwed that up enough to know I need the help of someone with better tools! I'll have to wait for a hot minute for that :(

Will finish the master cylinder and brace and brake booster install later. Then get my wife to site in the drivers seat while I bleed everything out and I'm good to go!

Pictures attached. Oh, and look at the solid rear end links!

Attached Files:

34. yuseforester

Would love to make the LaXCruise this year!

35. tangledupinblu

^*fingers crossed*

36. yuseforester

Dark Fury rides!! I'll do better pictures and a more detailed update later... all I can say is WOW!!

Attached Files:

37. tangledupinblu

Lookin good!!!

38. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Looks great! Are you doing a larger brake master cylinder too? I noticed the master cylinder brace was much more noticeable on my wrx compared to my sti (larger master cylinder that apparently didn't flex nearly as much).

39. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

looks great! my old wheels look awesome on there!

40. yuseforester

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the comments!

So again, a couple more pics; a before shot (actually my wife's car, buy pretty much visually what I started with), and better shots of the new look.

I added Brembo's, STi brake booster and master cylinder, and I added the Grimmspeed master cylinder brace...this car stops on a dime...incredible!! No more pedal sponge/squish! I'll be adding SS lines too...

Phase 1 complete!!

See you guys at OC this coming Tuesday.

Attached Files:

41. Ronnie@RSmotors

Ronnie@RSmotors Well-Known Member

Very nice project and updates. If my kid gave our car any name, I'd stick with it too.

42. yuseforester

Thanks Ronnie! Compliments are always appreciated! :)

43. Motorhead

Motorhead Well-Known Member

Great project you have going. Have similar plans for '04 XT. Car nicknames can be fun when kids decide them.
    My old '02 Wagon was white so my kids named it "white marshmellow". If you make it to Mpls Subie meet then
    LMK since I would like to check out the swift spring set-up. Good luck with the rest of your mods!

44. yuseforester

Thanks Motorhead! What is this Minneapolis Subie meet you speak of? I'm impressed with the swift spring set-up for sure!

45. Motorhead

Motorhead Well-Known Member

Just the basic informal meets like, Calhoun-Thomas Beach in the summer and the "Winter Applebees Tour" presented by Sheen.

Have to comment on MNSubaru as being a great,positive resource for us DIY's who wanna turn wrenches and figure it out
    with the normal struggles along the way. Probably should renew my membership after I put in a good word.