Proposal for a meet location

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by kickin_81, Mar 23, 2005.

1. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd move the off-topic out of the Firestone thread onto here.

This thread is a proposal for approval to use the parking lot for a MNSubaru meet--located on the right hand side next to freeway 52 south right before it goes up the hill (Florida Street and Lafayette Frontage road).

This is what I have. Please feel free to proofread it or add to it.

Dear Bill Fredricks;

I am an active member of the Minnesota Subaru Club (www.MNSubaru.com). This small, local club is a community of Subaru enthusiasts and owners who plan occasional meets and events around the Twin Cities.

I, and the other members of the club, would like to request the use of the south parking lot (located at the Lafayette Center) for a club meet. This meet will essentially be a fun event for all members of the club.

If we are allowed to use your parking lot, we will bring with parking cones which can be easily set up and removed in order to create a small course with which members can practice and enhance their driving skills. I ask nothing to be provided from you for our club except the parking lot. I am planning this event for no more than 25 members from the club. With your approval, I plan to carry out this event on Saturday, April 2, 2005.

Taking Murphy's Law into mind, we will plan safety measures to ensure a safe meet at your parking lot. All drivers of will be driving with street legal vehicles, and no more than one vehicle will be on the lot at a time. We will enforce safety belts and DOT-approved helmets to all drivers/passengers entering the parking lot. In addition, we will have first-aid materials readily available, and the members will have cell phones ready to call the paramedics if needed.

We will highly discourage wreckless driving, but if damages were to be made to the property, it will be handled by the club.
    Any damages inflicted to personal property and/or personal injury will not be used against Securian, Minnesota Mutual Life, or Facilities Management Partners in the court of law.

Again, I would like this letter to be the MNSubaru Club's official request for the use of your parking lot. I can be reached at (651)665-1324 if you have questions or concerns we can discuss. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Fong Vang and the members of MNSubaru.com.

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Looks good to me. Hopefully they accept. It would be good to get something in writing from Bill F. stating that it is ok for us to use this lot and it has contact numbers and names on it, in case we get 'questioned' by the authorities.

3. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

good job fong, the letter looks pretty good. Hopefully they will let us use the lot.

4. kickin_81

I personally don't think my statement about property damages is strong enough. Someone should help create a better statement.

5. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I didnt know you could write so well. Great job! and Good luck! :D

6. kickin_81

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mushashi

I didnt know you could write so well. Great job! and Good luck! :D
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Thank Dynapar for his format of the letter. :)

7. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

eh might as well ask them to come and look at our cool cars eh?

8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Everything looks good for a 2nd letter. The first time we should try to use the lot, we will just have a big meet and greet (no cones). We first want to prove that we are big boys and can clean up after ourselves. Once we established that we aer responsible, then we bring up the idea of cones and such. We just want to create a good standing as a group first, then ask for the bigger items.

Russ

9. kickin_81

If this thing flies, I don't want our members caught doing anything wreckless on the property or the parking lot. That will eliminate our chances of another meet. By wreckless, I mean doing doughnuts, burnouts, racing, etc.

Russ, I was planning to make this a small event for the members to get used to loose gravel on the lot going around cones and such. Driving too hard which may cause a collision or going way off course and into the grass will be prohibited.

10. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

wat do you mean no racing?

11. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

this part..."Any damages inflicted to the property will be paid for by the club."

It kinda makes it sound like we are going to be doing reckless things in the lot that might damage things. We definitely need something like this statement....but maybe just reworded.

12. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

"a community of Subaru enthusiasts and owners who plans"

Change that to "plan" so you have subject-verb agreement. If you want to be taken seriously, use good grammar (in my experience).

Also, good luck...there are probably very good insurance reasons why this will not be able to happen.

13. Gspot

Gspot New Member

MAC has a lot of trouble getting new autox sites and they have insurance. Plus they have to pay to rent the site. I think if you're all so interested in this, you should come to an organized MAC event. Valleyfair is on May 1st and you will have a huge parking lot with a course resembling that of nationals level competition. If you preregister its like $30.

14. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Thats why I was stating that we should just have a meet first, then go again and set up the cones and such. We don't want to bite off alot at once. The letter looks like we want to race in the parking lot, so we need to make sure the club image isn't about "racing in a parkinglot".

Russ

15. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by WRX1

Thats why I was stating that we should just have a meet first, then go again and set up the cones and such. We don't want to bite off alot at once. The letter looks like we want to race in the parking lot, so we need to make sure the club image isn't about "racing in a parkinglot".

Russ
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, we dont want them to think that we are doing illegal street racing

16. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

it sounds good, but if you got a letter like this for some random group to use your property for meets and whatnot, what would you say?????

17. Speedemon

I deal with the castodians at a lot of diferent schools so I will talk to them to see if we could use the parking lot.

18. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by wrxpeed

it sounds good, but if you got a letter like this for some random group to use your property for meets and whatnot, what would you say?????

Exactly what I was thinking. And my response would be "No way" because of all the potential issues--damage, injuries, litigation, you name it.

19. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by wrxpeed

Exactly what I was thinking. And my response would be "No way" because of all the potential issues--damage, injuries, litigation, you name it.
    +1

20. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

i agree with what is beign said. it probably would be better to first ask just for a meet and greet. then next time ask for an upgrade.

the part about DOT approved helmets is good, but i am not sure who all has a helmet cuase i sure dont.

if this happens (depending on time) Project Geo may make an appearance. speaking of which are their any limitations to the MAC event at valley fair? Soon the Geo will be race ready (following severe overhaul) lol

21. Gspot

Gspot New Member

limitations are safety issues; battery must be tied down, no loose items on or in car, seatbelt, DOT approved tires (racing compounds or otherwise). Tech inspection checks these and condition of wheel bearings and pedal firmness.

22. kickin_81

The facilities manager has a limit to his authority; it is best to find out that limit now rather than later when we expect something out of it.

I know that the chances of getting approval is next to zero, but there's no harm in trying. It wouldn't be worth it to go through the trouble writing a proposal for a meet when we can, instead, just hang out at the Firestone lot. If we were to go through with this and send it in, I'd want something the club members can do that doesn't limit them to just stand around and chat. I just want this to be a fun day/night out and leave it at that. I don't want any politics involved.

In retrospect, I agree with you guys--I am 50/50 on this, because if something goes wrong, it'll be my head the next day I show up at work.

Dynapar, helmets are required for safety reasons in any driving event. The club will have to share helmets if needed.

23. kickin_81

Also, can someone explain what our club image should be? I probably have it backwards. I was thinking it was about our hobby of making our cars better and making our driving skills better one event at a time. :???:

24. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

this seems nice

25. Speedemon

Did you give the guy the letter yet?

26. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

I kind of agree that it's worth a shot, even if it doesn't work out. I like the idea of just proposing a meet in the lot for the first few events, even though we would eventually want to get permission for setting up a course. Speaking of permission, has anyone actually asked about the Firestone lot ever, whether they think we're a nuisance or anything? Just curious.
    The best situation would be a club member who owns a lot, even if it's not in the immediate twin cities area it would make a good day trip.
    Any liability language that you can eliminate from the letter would be likely to help you get your foot in the door with them, but I also understand wanting to gauge their comfort level.
    Anyways, good luck with this!

27. kickin_81

The letter will be emailed tomorrow. One more night to proofread it and get the main idea down. Then, we'll leave it up to chance.

28. Speedemon

ok just checking

29. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Back in the day, a group of us talked to the guys at firestone (about 6-8 years ago), and they didn't have much of a problem with it. I was thinking about going out and talking to them again to see if they are willing to put a garbage can out, so we can clean up the lot after everyone leaves so they don't have to (little ass kissing goes a long ways sometimes).

Russ

30. Speedemon

Its not like we need this super big parking lot. We can give the guy some money too. If everyone puts in $5 or even less then that. We could make money for the club also. Just a thought

What are we going to use for cones or does someone have a lot of them?

31. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by WRX1

Back in the day, a group of us talked to the guys at firestone (about 6-8 years ago), and they didn't have much of a problem with it. I was thinking about going out and talking to them again to see if they are willing to put a garbage can out, so we can clean up the lot after everyone leaves so they don't have to (little ass kissing goes a long ways sometimes).

Russ
    Or people can take there own garbage with them?? :D

32. Dynapar

lets just set up some cones at firestone. sure it will be a small course. but it will be a lot of fun, and we can test the turning radiuses of our cars lol. "come on...make the corner.....yes made the corner at 5 mph."

33. kickin_81

Ha, good question! How many cones do we have? :I

34. kickin_81

I will be sending this email in soon. I read it again this morning, and realized I'm not going to make this an event... just a small fun meet where we can drive around cones for fun. It'll be just for the club and our friends if they want to join and it will not be anything serious. Just something for the club to do to start off 2005 with something small and fun.

Dear Bill Fredricks;

I am an active member of the Minnesota Subaru Club (www.MNSubaru.com). This small, local club is a community of Subaru enthusiasts and owners who plan occasional meets and events around the Twin Cities.

I, and the other members of the club, would like to request the use of the south parking lot (located at the Lafayette Center) for a club meet. This meet will essentially be a fun gathering for all members of the club.

If we are allowed to use your parking lot, we will create a small course with which members can practice and enhance their driving skills. Taking Murphy's Law into mind, we will plan safety measures to ensure a safe meet at your parking lot, and we will highly discourage reckless driving. I am planning this event for no more than 20 members from the club. With your approval, I plan to carry out this meet on Saturday, April 2, 2005.

I can be reached at (651)665-4757 if you have questions or concerns. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    Fong Vang

35. Speedemon

So is this going to happen?

36. kickin_81

Waiting for a response. :eek:

37. kickin_81

As what was expected, the idea was shot down from the big guy. He told me that the motorcycle trainers had to sign many forms and insurance papers for them to be out there. There's no chance we'll get approval to use the lot for any type of activity. Sorry, guys! :(

38. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

well it was worth a shot. thanks your time and efforts Fong.

39. Speedemon

Well that sucks. Thanks for taking the time to try.

40. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

too bad.

41. hercules

hercules New Member

im guessing back on the ice again???.....i can steal some cones from work....

42. masube81

masube81 Well-Known Member

Thankz for trying Fong.;)

43. Dynapar

it was worth a shot, and we gave it our all. guess its back to firestone.

44. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

I drove up to lindstrom today and thier lakes have tracks on them. I mean someone plowed the lake to have a track. two lakes that i see. maybe we can go there and use the track.

45. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

i'll spectate, but i wont go on the ice, i fell through on foot this year on lake minnetonka