Proving Grounds Pictures & Video / Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by maperformance, Sep 10, 2013.

1. maperformance

maperformance Vendor

Hey guys,

I just wanted to see if anyone has pictures or video from the event they'd like to share? I was hoping to see some more of the Subaru's on the drag strip and or the auto-x. Also wanted to get on the forums while the event is fresh in your mind and get some feedback on ways we can continue to improve upon this event.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    DC
    [email protected]

Musashi likes this.
  2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I am happy to see that each year the events has gotten better in attendance and safety wise. I'm also glad to see that I no longer have to post long page of feedback as you guys have done a great job of taking that info and applying it so we can continue to have this as an annual event.

Drag/Road Course paddock - I'd like to see more safety stewards to enforce the 5 mph limit in those zones. I saw way too many driver gunning it and putting a lot of people at risk and this includes not just cars but RV, Bike, Golf Carts and others - I almost got hit while stepping out of the portapotty.

Noise level after dark - ppl are way too rowdy and inconsiderate making it very difficult for others to sleep so they can be rested for the next days event.

Road Course - You definitely need way more instructors, you guys will have to find a way to make other qualified Instructors to want to participate, either compensate for their time or expenses. I had a handful of drivers coming up to me asking for assistance but I was way out numbered and could only get to about half. Also it would help if the Instructors could take these students out in a SUV or a vehicle that would allow more then just one student at time onto the track. This will help get the students familiar with the track and it's conditions. Perhaps in the future MAP could either provide such a vehicle or rent one from a Car Rental and only the Instructors would have access to them. This is what we do at the BIR schools and it really helps get the message across as we spend that time showing the students the track and it's features. Where it's safer to push and where not to push as hard, what to do when you go off the track.

I spend most of my time at the Road Course - I thought the staff there did a very good job of checking the drivers and their passengers. I'd like to see a better protocol for how the rescue team removes the crashed vehicle off the track and relocating it to the secured barn on the opposite side of the track. Some schools will cover the car up once it's on top of the transport. It drew a lot of bad attention when it made it's way around the facility.

An IDEA - We now have even more interested drivers and specators then ever before and as a result there is even more potential for growth. Why not provide some form of Charity Rides to these people by offering 2 laps in a MAP car w/an Instructor for a donation or a small fee. This will keep these passengers safe, give them a postitive experience and give to a charity. At our National BMW event we have at least 4 different types of cars. Everything from a new M3, M6, Old BMW race car to a McLaren F1 BMW. The donation requirements would be higher with the type of vehicle, that's just an example.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    Threshld1 and TMF like this.
  3. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

^well said

4. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

i think you could make it easier for people to get drunk and party. people are all ways so far apart and the walking kills my buzz.

5. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Lol

6. AspitFire

even better said!! lmao

7. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

Im with fobia, after walking to and from his camp site I need to make my next captain coke a double..

8. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

or you guys can have some kind of party bus that just runs around that you can hitch a ride on? all this talk about having map cars give rides for charity and no talk about map booze buses for drunks?

SCIFIDELITY and Tash like this.
  9. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

oh and whats up with all the noisy drift cars? i woke up every morning with a head ache from them.......

10. Musashi

I think between the two the Charity ride vehicle would be a lot easier to clean after the event lol

I think next year I'm gonna setup camp at Turn 3. :p

11. Musashi

What drift cars, I think team NF just of put something in your drink sir , Fobia Special :coffee:

12. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

i wouldn't doubt it!

13. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Just cherries, what could be wrong with cherries?

14. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

i never had cherries. i had some apple juice that they said had booze in it. i don't believe them though.

15. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

I gave you the apple juice and cherries...you had both and both were well spiked

Talonted likes this.
  16. Musashi

And I almost forgot to mentions this, I've received numerous complaints about how the current Rules governing the TTS and SSS classification. Some drivers have expressed to me how they were soo dissatified that a driver who's vehicle were not in their class could bump them out of a First Place victory in the competition.

Examples:
    1. Stock Class - rules doesn't say anything about E85 or race fuel vehicles, additives, AeroDynamics, lighten vehicle weight or shaved street tires.
    2. A Dodge Viper RWD got put into the FWD Unlimited Class. How would you like to be the guy who takes home a 1st place for FWD in your RWD car lol.
    3. Some think that it's great the Event organizer take part in the event but not take part in the winnings, that's just a case of conflict of interest. Unless they're paid participants like everyone else.

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  17. AspitFire

How can this even happen? Also i heard there is no cash prizes for this event? No one got anything for any sort of prizes...just some cheap trophies? Where is all the $$ going?

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  18. Musashi

I can't answer for MAP but that's not the point here. We shouldn't put them on the spot especially on the IE, that doesn't help anyone. I'm just giving some hopefully useful feedback so they can continue to make improvements so this event can continue. From my motorsport experience anytime you offer a $$$ prize it's going to draw a lot of interest and at this level of performance it's not the attention you'd really want as it will only increase the liability. It also increasings bad sportmanship among competitors which just puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth as most inexperienced drivers will go all or nothing on the table.

I have a pretty good idea how much it must of cost them to host this event, I can tell you it's not cheap and it requires a lot of support from the community as well as sponsors. A lof of other car communities are quick to bash the MAP PG events, but they fail to understand the bigger picture here. There's a lot more at stake then just MAP's event. I volunteer my time because I want to see this event succeed so we can have an venue for our type of community. And also because I have lots of old and new friends who participate and I want to do what I can to help keep them safe. Most people are quick to complain but few are willing to get their hands dirty.

kongzilla, glen and gc8 like this.
  19. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

How about any pictures/videos :)

Don't hit me

20. Musashi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Musashi

Ctracey218 likes this.
  22. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Did Allen grow out his beard?

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  23. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

How can they see with all those damn stickers on the windshield?! Ha anyway drifting looks like a blast.