Pull snow tires off?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by silver03, Mar 8, 2012.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

60's next week...anyone else thinking about this?

2. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I was going to keep my winters on for a while.....

But rolling fenders last night, removing mud flaps and taking a test drive on the newly mounted / balanced tires = drove home with summers on. I am keeping them on, unless it snows. Maybe I'll just "work" from home if that happens. :)

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Absolutely not. I won't be swapping tires until the LOWS are 60 degrees. Not the highs...

4. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to put mine on this weekend. I'm willing to accept the fact that I'll probably have to swap back in a few days. Lol.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

As long as you have the means, time, and energy to switch them back and forth, i say go for it! I enjoy working on some stuff...but don't really feel like dealing with the back and forth myself.lol Good seeing ya yesterday Ben, wish that i would have gotten a few minutes to chat with ya. Talking to the guys about my next project for Blu.:D

6. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

When it gets warm, I just switch vehicles. Ballin'

7. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had to run. I pulled the exhaust manifold/uppipe/EWG back off and put on all new gaskets. Took me most of the night.

With a floor jack and and impact driver (and torque wrench for finishing them off) it doesn't take me too long to swap. The worst is trying to get my wheels out from under the pile I have in my garage!

8. tangledupinblu

Lol, i can relate to the pile in the garage. Floor to ceiling.

9. million

million Well-Known Member

My winter wheels are coming off this weekend. I figure that if it snows again, it will probably melt pretty fast so not having the snow tires won't make much of a difference.

10. tangledupinblu

Except for the fact that your summers are going to be rock hard with the cold weather. To each their own, i've already bounced off of curbs with my summers tho, so i've learned my lesson.

11. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

That and you're going to end up media blasting the finish on (at least) your front wheels. I wait till there's a good rain or 2 and all the sand/salt/grime is off the roads.

12. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

As always with these threads. It depends what tires you're switching to.

Last year, I switched to BFG Traction T/A all seasons for 100 Acre Wood, and didn't get the Blizzaks out again until November. This year, I switched for the trip, and had to pull 'em off to get home. And we've had more snow in the last week and a half then the rest of the season.

But, with how little snow we've had this year, the ground is frozen deeper than usual, and will probably take longer to thaw than usual. That means colder ground temperatures, which means you won't have to worry about snow tire wear as much.

13. tangledupinblu

^The voices of reason. Not that it'll change anything. roflz.

14. Goalie

Goalie MNSubaru Goaltender

I'm still waiting a while. Because the very next day after I pull them off, we will get biggest blizzard in state history or some crap.

15. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Two reasons:
    1) This is Minnesota, so snow...may still happen.
    2) Summer tire compounds do not generate good traction till warmer temps. There is also chance of cracking the rubber too (so I've heard). You'd be surprised how much grip a good winter tire has versus a summer in cold temps, especially a performance winter (ex. LM25 or similar).

16. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Can't afford to damage with summer wheels. I'm with sheen on this one. Need a good rain or two first.

17. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

I'm running mine down to the coords cause they are at end of life

18. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

I follow the October 15/April 15 schedule I learned from a member of the BMW club, give or take a few days as free time allows.
    As of tonight I'm still driving home over black ice in the twin cities area, so there's no way in hell I'm getting antsy, even if it's 70F tomorrow.

19. ofspunk7

To each their own. Normally I would not be one to put on summer tires this early. However there are a few key facts that make this winter far from normal.

1. There has been almost NO salt used this winter. Besides the snow fall a week or two ago... when was the last time you remember seeing plows on the road? The typical "sand blasting" dirt/salt mix that we are so used to seeing on the roads just isn't there. I would say it is a pretty safe bet to say that the amount of dirt/salt on the road is very similar to what one could find on the road late summer / fall when we are in a dryer season. Check out the roads, this is not your typical March road/

2. It's has been the 4th warmest winter in recorded history. So with that being said, if there was any winter to toss on summers early, this may be the winter.

3. No one really has any idea what the rest of the month will bring. Could be 60* or could drop 60" of snow. I guess that is why floor jacks and a torque wrench = no worries on my end.

4. Pothole season doesn't seem to be present. I have noticed very few rim killers.

I am not saying it is the best idea, right idea or only way to go. Just trying to point out that the stance of "this is what we did in the past" doesn't apply to this winter. Take into consideration that this winter is going to be different than 99% of the winters you have and will experience in your lifetime.

20. idget

Says the guy who has bent how many wheels? lol

It's definitely sandblast city in my neighborhood. I'm not even putting the all-seasons on the leggy until it's consistently 50 in the morning. Stopping distances are retarded at anything lower and they just don't hold heat with the ground temps the way they are.

21. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I can swap wheels in about 20 mins but since I don't have a tire changer I'm gonna have to wait just a bit longer. I've got five cars at the house and only two are working. :mad:

22. idget

Convert the working 2 into duallies

Musashi likes this.
  23. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, this is Minnesota. If you switch tires now it will snow 12" the next day. I've been tricked by the early warm weather too many times. I'm planning on switching in mid-April. But I have to buy new tires first.

24. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

Yeah... didn't even bother with them this year. The no-seasons were a bit hairy for the two times I had to drive in the snow but I think it was better than wearing the expensive snow tires.

25. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

March is still the snowiest month of the year her in the great state of MN. I'm waiting.

26. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, take yer snows off...I could use a little entertainment.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  27. john

john Well-Known Member

What are these snow tires you speak of?

28. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

29. Herger

Herger Active Member

2008. 50 miles on ice covered roads. Bunch of snow too, and high winds. Worst drive ever. Now I don't even worry.

30. ofspunk7

Looking good.

31. LightningLemke

LightningLemke Active Member

I pulled my I*pikes off the other day but I don't have summer tires yet so its not as risky for me with colder temps (lows in the low to mid 40's for the rest of the week). This winter made me wish i bought performance winter tires instead of snow tires lol.

32. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

Reeeeally itching to get the summers on but I'm sticking to my guns.... waiting another week or 2 :frantic:

33. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

put my summers on today! 70's all week pretty much with lows in the 50's..I am glad I did too, sooo sexy!
    [​IMG]

34. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

I never even took my summer setup off haha

35. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

ended up switching mine as well. I couldn't resist. If need be i can switch back to my winters in 20 min

36. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

oh man...here comes the snow.

37. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I too, have the itch to get the summers on, but the means/time to do a quick change back incase of more snow is not currently existent... couple more weeks...

38. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Looks like we got a real good storm to wash all the salt away. Not that we got much anyways. But if the weather keeps up like this, I'm gonna have to switch out my winter setup. I'll slowly burn up the rubber on my winter tires in this weather.

39. tangledupinblu

I was extremely resistant, but had to do mine on Sunday. Soooooo....the snow should come any day now. lullz. Also, the steering feels so much heavier with the summers on.

40. idget

It's not so much the salt as it is the dirt and grime that gets tracked onto the roads and sits until a few storms wash it all away. The worst is on freeway shoulders. I'm waiting till this weekend assuming the forecast for the following week is consistent with the last couple weeks'.

41. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I switched to all seasons last Saturday. I'll wait a month or so before I put the Blizzaks in the back of the shed though.

42. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

still have mine on partly because im being stubborn mostly because i don't have anything to switch into its place yet lol. so the snow should stay away till i switch

43. 1_sic_rex

1_sic_rex Well-Known Member

Time to get them off. Winter tires actually become unsafe in temps above 50 degrees. Switch them out, if it does snow it will only last a few hours. My .02

44. SkeetsWisconny

...yep, its time

45. SkeetsWisconny

yep, i too have been stubborn but its just about time... going to bring in my rotors to get turned while im swapping the wheels