Question about UEL Headers in a N/A Forester...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by MinnesotaFTW, Sep 11, 2015.

1. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

I was looking to get that Subaru Rumble in my Forester, and I've heard that you need UEL Headers, and a decent Cat-Back.

Is that all I need? If so, what sort of brands do you guys recommend? I'd like to go as cheap as possible, but with decent quality.

2. Deathly

Deathly Well-Known Member

You wont be able to get it cheap. Unless you buy used. Because headers are like $500

3. MinnesotaFTW

I've been looking around the internet, and people have been saying to get replica Borla Headers. I've found some for about $150. Is there any decent cat back, that isn't $1,000?

4. Deathly

Deathly Well-Known Member

Replica engine parts scare me but whatever. Go with it. Yea there are many catbacks that are cheap, do you check rally sport direct?

5. MinnesotaFTW

I did, and RSD didn't have any for my car. Are eBay catbacks recommended? As I found a catback with decent reviews for $179.

6. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Sell the forester.

Deathly likes this.
  7. MinnesotaFTW

Why? I really like it.

8. EricS

EricS Nooberator

I was being a little facetious. Of course do whatever you want, but you're not likely to get back any money for aftermarket parts you put into it if you do decide to sell it later. It's an NA Forester.

I'm pretty sure you already have UELs.

Maybe post a WTB on the forum for a used catback instead of buying a new eBay POS.

ShortytheFirefighter likes this.
  9. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Well-Known Member

I can say from recent personal use, pass in the eBay garbage. It fits like crap, takes way too much work to get installed due to bad fitment.

10. MinnesotaFTW

I know I'm not going to get my money back, I'll go post a WTB now

11. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

He does not if it's NA.

Get ebay borla rep headers, a few of my friends have had them and they all sounded great.

12. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I had NO problem with the cheap ebay header.

13. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

What year forester? This makes a huge difference.

98-05 foresters no problem with the eBay headers.

06+ had an oxygen sensor relocated to the header pipe. Only one company makes UEL headers for a N/A forester with the oxygen sensor port where it should be. And they run $600+.

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  14. MinnesotaFTW

I have an '01.

15. Shancaldazar

You're good then. Get an eBay set.

But, just a recommendation, with a N/A forester, your money is better spent elsewhere. Yes, it might not sound as cool, but if $150 can get you some good equipment for an upgraded rear sway bar (with good endlinks). That will make a noticeable improvement.

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  16. MinnesotaFTW

I'm not really going for the "cool sound" I just really want that rumble so I can fit in with the turbos :(

But fair enough, I'll have a look into new rear sway bars. Do you have any recommendations?

17. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

Stock is unequal length. I've only heard one setup that actually sounds decently like a WRX. It's from a company called Hayward and Scott out of the UK, but the stuff's not cheap, like $1200 for a header kind of not cheap.

18. MinnesotaFTW

It is? Well ****, I need to get better ears.

Deathly likes this.
  19. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

Stock is just pretty quiet and loud doesn't sound exactly all the great either. Most people just buy Borla knockoff headers from ebay and call it a day.

There's a couple people that have stepped up and made some alternatives.

However, it apparently takes a year to get one made, lol, also not cheap (+$1000). There's a thread on Nasioc.
    Moore Performance was thinking about making one, but I don't think there was enough interest to follow through.

There are also companies that will build you a header, heck full exhaust, however you want. For example, in previous employment I've used Heartthrob Exhaust for a lot of design and fabrication for gas/deisel/LP/NG generators. If you've got some CAD skills and a little time, you can literally give them a design, and they will make a prototype for you buy hand to spec with quite good accuracy, or you can go in and they'll do it right on the car or whatever device you bring (bikes, karts, industrial machinery). You could literally drop your car off in the morning and have a header built and done on the car by the end of the day. Heck, they could probably fab an entire exhaust in a day pretty close to whatever specs you're looking for.

It's not cheap. A single, well designed prototype header might cost $600-$800 plus a $500 setup cost (NC programming, fixtures), but price lessens if moved into mass production after jigs are made. A mild steel header of production quantities (say order of 50 to 100) would be around the $500 mark. Actual cost is broken down cleanly in raw material and operations (cuts, bends, welds), so price is very directly a function of design. I would expect a full SS exhaust system on a car would run maybe just shy of $2000 but would be well made, fit great, and any design you could think of. That's actually kind of on par with a lot of the nicer made products being offered.

20. KevinK121

KevinK121 Member

I got lucky with a CNT header that cost me 350 vs the 600+ for borla, jdl, etc.... dunno if they make anything for the forrester.

21. derp

derp Well-Known Member

don't waste your money on headers on an NA car. If you want some rumbles, find an axleback system. if you keep a resonator on there it shouldn't sound too tinny or be too loud.

The other option is having a muffler shop or someone replace just your stock muffler with a Magnaflow or a Vibrant muffler.
    http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1031_1109&products_id=51
    or
    http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1031_1109&products_id=48

both sound great, and are stealthy

22. MinnesotaFTW

Apparently I have rumble, but it's a little quiet, and I'd like to go a lot louder, but not annoyingly loud. Would getting one of those mufflers change that?

23. derp

derp Well-Known Member

You don't want a lot louder. The vibrants sound good without being obnoxious. I have seen them on everything from Hondas to skyline engines and they all sounded good

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  24. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Also subarus lol

25. MinnesotaFTW

Guess I'll order the dual Pipe then. Do you recommend any muffler shops close to Plymouth?

26. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Can't help ya there, sorry.

27. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Tim's Custom Exhaust is a great shop.

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  28. Shancaldazar

A WRX or STi rear sway bar might fit. Can't remember which years fit the 2002 Foresters. a 19MM bar is what you are looking for. Upgraded end links (I like kartboy) are a great idea too. Subaruforester.org has a lot of info on this.

Stock is UEL by about an inch or two on the non turbo engines. Sounds like a EL with no muffler. Been there (failed muffler that was squealing, cut it off for a few days to avoid the squealing).

Your ears are fine. See above.

I used Bamco Exhaust in Hammel for my weld in muffler to replace the squealing stock. Work is still good a few years later, the muffler took some creative mounting (was just two or three inches too long despite what another forester owner told me). Two guys who both dislike Subarus work there (lol). Still more than happy to put a muffler on my car. Let me watch while they did it.

I've been doing a lot of welding lately, but not sure how good I would be at welding in a muffler for you. Rather thin material. I'm in Plymouth too (for part of the year) BTW.

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  29. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

They WERE a good shop. IF theres another Tims custom exhaust that I dont know about but the one in Coon Rapids has gone downhill majorly. My buddy had headers on his Lincoln mark 8 and they screwed them up. It was like they didnt know how to do headers. There is a exhaust place in Blaine that has done good work on the vehicles Ive taken there

30. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Just do what all the manufacturers are now doing and have the sound piped into the interior through your sound system. That way YOU hear it and the rest of the world doesn't. The rest of the world doesn't care what your car sounds like and the rest of the world thanks you for this solution.

31. MinnesotaFTW

Well that's unfortunate... because I already have UEL headers.

The thing is though... they're OEM ;)

32. euro

euro Well-Known Member

just buy a soundaktor from a newer GTI, you could probably bolt it right in.

pillboy likes this.
  33. Ridgerunr

Ridgerunr New Member

I went with a set from JDL, UEL catted and heat coated for my BRZ. Sound is GREAT, don't go cheap on exhaust parts.