Racewind Imports?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jackbauer, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackbauer

jackbauer Well-Known Member

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

wow, u can get a 22b at your doorsteps!

3. jackbauer

Just curious if anyone has worked with them.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

I gotta be honest, there is no way in hell I would buy anything from them.

Maybe if I went to a shop and felt comfortable after chatting with the techs/owners/etc, but that web-page looks like it was made by a 10 year old in Microsoft Word.

5. jackbauer

This Web site looks pretty old school and I know it can be redesigned around the standard message board. I still come here; LOL! I'm sure it must be a baby boomer that set it up!

6. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I have talked to them on the phone before about some stock parts they were selling. The people I talked to seemed to be pretty nice and know what they were talking about.

7. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

I don't understand how they get around the DOT 25 year rule: "If the vehicle is less than 25 years old and was not originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS, and/or was not so certified by its original manufacturer, it cannot be lawfully imported into the U.S. on a permanent basis unless NHTSA determines it eligible for importation. "

Many of those cars on the website are not eligible. (unless your plan is to drive them for track use only?)

8. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

Hopefully they're a good business but the website design, pictures and information quality are CL-esque. Then again, as a guy who buys businesses I like the apparently low overhead!

9. KA-T_240

02 WRX 78k for $8995.... I want more info!

10. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

Please keep it on topic or use PM's.

11. Michael48

Michael48 Member

^ I'm wondering the same thing? Insureable? Street legal? I'm going to check it out I'll post my findings. I've always wanted a Subaru Impreza wrx sti spec type ra-r with there massive brake rotors and limited production.

12. KA-T_240

You can legally import anything car wise you want. The cars will have to be registered as show/race use only.

You can get around the 25 year rule with doing a bunch of work. You have import a bunch of cars, update them to DOT standards for the year. You have to submit IIRC 1-3 cars to the EPA for emissions test. Then submit 3 cars to the DOT for crash testing and to make sure you do everything right and its all up to US regulations(glass, headlight, tail lights, airbags, OBD I/II, crash bars....)

I do not think this company is doing all that work. That is how Motorex was able to import and US title Skylines. I am pretty sure they are just imported cars. There are little tricks you can do and get the cars titled for road use by the state, however its not USDOT legal.

13. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

Yeah, for 7 years and they can't go on the street (unless they're extremely rare like a 959 and you have a ton of cash)

Most of these companies register them as something else or what they are, generally in states with lazy DMVs like Florida.

14. KA-T_240

I have talked with people at the MN DMV. I have figured out how to register cars here. That is, if they come from Canada with Canadian title and VIN.

15. redheat86

redheat86 Well-Known Member

This would only apply to non JDM cars..basicly USDM equivilent.

Cars that were imported to canada from Japan or any other country under their 15 year exemption rule will not be legally let into the US since you wont be able to get any of the required documents for epa/crash from the original manufaturer.

If the dmv won't ask for import papers/epa cert then it wont be an issue..but you can still registered without any paper work..just get the original canadian owner to drive it over the boarder..

16. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

That doesn't mean they're legal without a US DOT/EPA sign off.
    Get for car crushed when the feds find out (and they do)

17. KA-T_240

There is a reason why I do not own a skyline. I know how to "get" it done. Just don't have enought $$$ to not care if the feds would ever find out.

18. Michael48

Michael48 Member

I've been researching this for a little while too. I think the best way to get them to the US is Via Canada. We should find a car we both want and get one here legally. Or start a black market of importing illegal cars :biggrin: ther could be some $$$ in it.

19. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

what was the findings on this shop?

20. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

They are a complete joke, my brother worked for them for about a month, they were paying him cash under the table that worked out to be something like 3 bucks an hour. The owner is a retard (and yes he is a member here) and a complete hack. Dont walk, RUN AWAY from them, furthermore they are getting evicted from where there shop is right now. Dont be suprized if they dissapear soon.

21. greg donovan

so you are saying that now wouldnt be a good time to buy a hood from them on ebay?

they have an aluminum 93-96 WRX hood on there right now sitting at 80 bucks with the reserve not met yet and it ends tonight. it is their only item ever listed. i am not buying/bidding now anyway but was curious.

22. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

If you can get it for cheap, by all means go for it, but Ide use some caution.

23. greg donovan

i am more curious about what it sells for than anything. if i did buy it i would drive down and get it myself and pay cash.

24. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Where is the 22b?

25. putz

putz Well-Known Member

anywhere but here!:biggrin:

26. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I'm sure it will be here next week being they said they could get them and skylines no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.