raised rev limit?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by AWDimprezaL, Jan 30, 2005.

1. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

im getting really sick of hitting my rev limiter, no its not cus im a bad driver, its because with the mods i have, expecially flywheel it makes power all the way to redline, which im sad to say is exactly 6000, it would be nice to have even 500 more rpm...do you guys think an RS computer or any obd II subaru computer would work on my car?, or does anyone know if they make a chip or somthing? i know that make that unichip, but that doesnt raise rev limit...any help would be appreciated

2. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

a RS revs to 6.2k(or close to it) so its not the extra 500 you want. I haven't heard of any stand alone ECU for the MY93-01 Imprezas yet or any reflashes. I also rememeber someone saying that reving too high will cost power lost in the boxer motor, i could be wrong but thats just what i think i remember reading.

3. AWDimprezaL

i just read that a newer style 2.2 has 138 hp vs my 135, and it is at 6200 also...maybe that would be sufficient, i'll keep my eyes open for a cheap one at work, and the bone yards

4. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

The design of your EJ22's internals limit how much power your engine makes.

I assume your motor makes a bit less power and torque compared to the EJ25. In the N/A SOHC EJ25 motors, the engine redlines (as mentioned by LVT) @ 6200 rpm. Power drops past dramatically after ~5500 rpm. The N/A DOHC EJ25 motor makes less midrange torque, but doesn't lose as much power as the SOHC after ~5500 rpm. Here's a visual: [​IMG]

You could try this: When racing, begin your shift when your tachometer flies past ~5500 rpm. That way you will be closer to redline when you are ready to make the complete shift.

5. AWDimprezaL

i understand what your saying, but my moter doesnt "fall off" like you would think it does, it pulls as hard as it does at 4000 as it does at 5900, thats why i would like to see what a rev limiter a bit higher would feel like...shifting at about 6300, 1st gear for me is basicly useless, its lasts about 2 seconds and im already at 35, bouncing off the rev limiter....i'll see what i can work out, maybe just for sh*ts and giggles i'll see the difference in connectors in a 2.5 compared to a 2.2 and do a small experement....we'll see what i can come up with, and let you all know