Re-tune?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by silver03, Dec 4, 2017.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

The car is a 2005 LGT Lachute downpipe, Invidia up pipe, BCS (GS or GM). She runs strong with no issues. I had her tuned ~2008 with 20k on it by @Bullwinkle with a conservative tune. IIRC 19psi max. The car now has 130k on it. What are the thoughts on a re-tune? It was recently suggested to me that it couldn't hurt. Pros? Cons? I have been oggling that CAI that @derp has for sale and know for certain if I bought that than a retune would be critical, but if I don't...Thank you -Rick

2. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

I am also interested in this. Purchased an ‘05 WRX that belonged to @AWD_PWNZ last year that has an old @Bullwinkle tune.

My original thoughts were that it’s been running the same tune for probably 60K miles and it seems to run fine. No problems, don’t mess with it?

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I’ve never heard of anyone re-tuning unless adding new mods.

I would think that it wouldn’t be a terrible thing to log it to see what everything is doing. Probably wouldn’t need a reflash tho.

If that’s the case, i would imagine that the tuners would be even busier than they are. I’ve had 2 WRX’s in the past 14 years and have accumulated about 250k between the two of them. Only tuned when adding new parts that required it.

ocie likes this.
  4. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

If you haven't changed any go-fast bits and it's been issue-free since the tune at 20k miles, no need for another tune unless you're itching to drop $300 lol.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. derp

derp Well-Known Member

110k miles on the tune and no problems? Don't **** with it.

ocie likes this.
  6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Do you have an AFR gauge or EGT gauge to monitor the vitals? If so, and the AFR's and/or EGT's are in the normal ranges, then I wouldn't worry about it.

However, if you don't, it honestly wouldn't hurt to at least log a couple pulls (easy if you have an accessport, but I'm guessing you do not. Any tuner can log it easily.) and check the vitals. Things can change over time, so at least a log and a retune is cheap insurance.

Also, bullwinkle was known to tune with lots of boost, whereas some tuners prefer to tune more with fuel, timing, or a more balanced approach of all parameters. Not that bullwinkle was a bad tuner, but there are lots of other great tuners out there. Who knows, someone else may be able to tune it more to your liking.

7. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

No AFR or EGT gauge. No accessport. I have a conservative tune with 19psi max boost. At the time, I think he said I could go to 21psi. Food for thought, particularly if I add a CAI. Thank you