Rear view/Back-up Camera - 2004 WRX

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by JuStaWRX, Dec 14, 2014.

1. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I have been in the market for a small rear view camera to install on my 2004 WRX sedan. I currently have an in-dash LCD head unit that is compatible with a rear view/back-up camera, and I would like to find a camera that will meet the need.

As far as mounting goes, I would like it to replace my trunk lock, as I have seen that before, and like the cleanliness of the look, not to mention my rear lock has been non-functional for about a year now, and I never use it. If need be, I would run it down by the license plate, but I am not keen on losing/replacing the license plate light down there, as I have seen many run into that issue before.

What I am wondering is if anyone has A) ever done such a modification, and/or B) has a camera that they would recommend. I have been looking around on amazon and there are a fair number of very reasonably priced cameras, but I do not know where to begin with it.

If anyone remembers the member who was at the Grimmspeed event last year with the beautiful and built up WRB 04 WRX that won best in show (I think he may be an RS guy?), I remember him having the key whole set up. If anyone would pass along his contact info, or would be able to pass along mine, I would be really grateful.

Per usual, any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

Here are few cameras that I have looked at:

I don't believe that this is compatible without slight modification to the license plate bracket/mount, but if you look in customer questions, I got a quick response from someone else who made it work.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADHZWIK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3OXC0TJWC0VM5

http://www.amazon.com/shark-shk5199...id=1418578525&sr=1-35&keywords=back+up+camera

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Audio-...id=1418578583&sr=1-56&keywords=back+up+camera

2. JuStaWRX

Spent a little more time tonight trying to find examples of people doing this on NASIOC, but in all honesty, NASIOC makes me anxious. It's way too much for, and I like to stick to MNSubaru... if anyone has any better look than I did digging through there for any links about putting a back up camera in the lock location on the sedan trunk, it'd be appreciated!

3. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

I want to say @Shane86 did something similar with his lgt wagon.

He might have some pointers...

4. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I personally like a more centered mounting spot on GDs. Most cameras distort the passenger corner when mounted in the trunk lock. License plate frame is obviously easy, but so is drilling a hole in the bumper.

5. Lucasoil4u

Lucasoil4u Member

I have seen lots of off brand cameras that are "waterproof" last a few days. PM me to talk more about this.

6. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

I did this on my LGT.
    Companies actually make cameras that replace one of the license plate bulbs with a camera/bulb combo. It looks very factory.

Then it's just a matter of running wires into the cabin, and tapping into the reverse light wire on the head unit.

EricS and Ctracey218 like this.
  7. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

Going to need the full write up / review on this. Thanks,

8. JuStaWRX

9. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

it's been at least a year since i did it on my wagon, but this one looks very similar:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281099863533?lpid=82

it replaced one of the licesene plate lights with the camera, and the two LEDs.
    The LEDs actually match the regular bulb in color on the other side, so it's a really good match.

There's two wires that come out of the camera, one that connects to the light to feed the LEDs and the other is a regular RCA output and power connector for the camera. I patched it into a switched 12v and ground that i found in the tailgate so there's no warm up time for the camera.

The reverse 12v signal came off the harness in the footwell that runs to the lights.

The camera works well enough, not the sharpest thing in the world, but it was under $30 and looks factory. It's very hidden.

EricS likes this.