Redline

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Justin, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

I have seen contraversy over the 75w90NS because it does not contain a friction modifier. I have already bought 4 qts...should i return or use?

2. mayhem83

mayhem83 Well-Known Member

If what you have is the "shockproof" gear oil and you have a synchromesh (stock) transmission, I do not recommend using it in the transmission. It is a GREAT lubricant for the rear diff and/or a racing dog box trans.

There are microscopic particles suspended in the shockproof gear oil that will severely affect the function of the syncromesh. Basically, the trans will shift slower because these particles will get trapped in the blocker rings of the sychros and provide too much lubrication. Sychros need friction to work. The shockproof oil all but eliminates that friction.

We have run the shockproof oil in our rallycar for two years and I am very happy with the results. The difference is, we run a dog box, not a stock trans.

Basically, shockproof + stock trans = Bad
    Shockproof + dog box = Good

3. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

Ok...thank you for you input. I put it in and it seems to shift much easier. There was no grinding in either 1st or 3rd.

4. mayhem83

If you put it in to solve a grinding problem when shifting, it may very well have masked the problem. My point is in a healthy trans, the shockproof will actually SLOW the shift time. If you had a grind when shifting into any gear when moving (other than reverse), there is a problem in the trans that will need to be addressed sooner or later. However, the shockproof may buy you some time.

Then again, what do I know.

5. ideate

ideate New Member

If we've got Mark's attention - What would you reccomend in a syncromesh transmission?

6. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jdgrimm

I have seen contraversy over the 75w90NS because it does not contain a friction modifier. I have already bought 4 qts...should i return or use?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

About two months after switching to the 75w90ns, my car developed a nasty 1st and 2nd gear grind. Initially, the car seemed to shift smoother (especially when cold), but then developed the annoying grind.

Thank god for warranties :D

7. mayhem83

I just found out the 75w90NS is not a "shockproof" product. I didn't take the time to actually look at Redline's page before. That is why I said " if what you have is a shockproof oil, don't use it". I still feel that way. Based on what I know now, the 75w90NS is the right thing to run in our cars. I know it sounds goofy but the most important thing on this is to make sure what you run matches what is recommended in the owner's manual. Also, changing the fluid to get all the little sparkly bits out will help slow the wear on the internals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.