Repainting roof rack attachments?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JuStaWRX, Oct 16, 2016.

1. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever repainted their roof rack attachments? My snowboard attachments are chipping paint enough to look crummy now, but still work great so I am not really interested in getting rid of them.

What would you recommend for repainting? I am fine with black again, but I want to do it right so it can hold up through the weather/carwashes, etc., and I would like it to be clean looking .

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated! PFA

J
    IMG_0880.JPG

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

What are they made from? Plastic, awuminum?

3. JuStaWRX

Ahhhh yes. Helpful information. They are aluminum where the paint is mostly chipping. Another thought I had which could be totally dumb/unattainable, but would be to use bed liner or something super solid like that. It would require meticulous taping but could turn out kind of cool?

4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

If any plastic can be removed from it so its just aluminum they could be powder coated.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

That's what i was thinking.

Although, bedliner would work also J! Maybe plasti dip?

6. JuStaWRX

I have considered this as well, but am not sure what the cost would look like.
    I also thought about plastidip but I am hoping to make this a one and done thing for quite some time, and I don't know how PlastiDip would do with moderate to heavy use with something like this.

7. tangledupinblu

It would probably depend on the amount of coats used?

Rubberized undercoating should work just fine fwiw! Just making sure that you look at all of your options homeskillet!! ;)

On the powder coating, it's not what you know, it's "who" you know!

8. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I can powder coat them relatively inexpensively as its just something I do on the side. If interested send me a picture with what your looking to get coated. I also have a media blaster so if its just painted should have no issue stripping it and coating it.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

10. tangledupinblu

11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Freakin amazing stuff. I painted the mild-steel light bracket that I made for my last Celica with it, and there wasn't a spot of rust on it 3 years later (including 2 trips behind a truck/trailer/rally car across the UP in January) when I parted the car out. I didn't top coat it, so it faded pretty badly, but still held up perfectly.

My 4Runner has about a quart of the stuff on it, and I used more than a little fixing the crashed Outback that is now my wife's DD. I buy the prep chemicals by the gallon, and I think I've used up 3 of their 6-packs.