RIP: juno's old motor

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Zola, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

I just got a PM from the guy who bought Chris's WRX. I guess that PE1818 had a bit too much for his engine. When the kid gave me a ride about a month ago, I went datalogging with him and it seemed to pull OK, but not quite as hard as I would have expected. He had a slowly blinking CEL at idle so I told him it would probably be a good idea to get a compression check.

Well he finally got around to it after the car really started running badly a few days ago. Compression in cylinder number 4 = ZERO. :(

Another dead EJ205 for the scrap heap!

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

3. rmrf

rmrf Well-Known Member

bore it to a 2.2 and put forged internals in. Not sure if you can keep the 2.0 heads or not. Seems like that would be the better decision over buying an STi block. just my $0.02

good luck with the swap!

4. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Last I saw he thought the heads were OK. But he must have beat the **** out of it, because Jorge had tuned it. Thing is, I'm not convinced he knew enough to have mucked around with the UTEC or stuff like that.

5. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I would purchase a axis stg2 2.5 block for about $2200 shipped to my door. That incluse a sti 2.5 block with some custom forged pistons (sti block is not a forged piston). If you price out a build up of a 2.0 or s 2.2, the 2.5 is the way to go. Jorge spent $800 just on his pauter rods. His 2.2 build up was $4500 with head work. For the price, the 2.5 is going to be tough to beat.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.