Rod Knock - 2014 WRX

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Zack Konetski, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Zack Konetski

Zack Konetski Member

So I pulled into my driveway last night after having the cruise set on the highway and hear what I'm fairly confident is a spun bearing and subsequent slap.

I'm astonished to hear of others that have had similar problems in their lower mile WRX/STI's. Mine just rolled over 60K miles. Sees 95% highway miles. I think I literally have 60,300 miles so not sure on the 5 year / 60K.

Now comes the fun part... Has anyone ever dealt with Walser's limited lifetime powertrain warranty? I'm wondering how difficult this might be and any tips/suggestions to ease the process.

The other issue is I'm about 40 miles from walser in Burnsville. Not sure driving 40 miles is the best idea. Therefore I was going to see if I can bring it to a closer Subaru dealer and hopefully still use the lifetime PT warranty.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I suspect it being a Walser warranty, that you would have to return to a Walser dealership if not the original selling dealership. Hope you had all of the maintenance performed by Walser to maintain that warranty.

3. Zack Konetski

Zack Konetski Member

I did have all the maintenance performed at the dealer. My only concern is I didn't stick to 3750 on the dot. Close but not exact.

4. Zack Konetski

Zack Konetski Member

Also just checked oil level and I'm right on where it always is.

5. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, can your AP tune, void your Walser warranty?

6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't even start the engine again until the dealer looked at it. Be respectful to the people you deal with and document every communication with the dealer (date, time, names, etc). Keeping a diary would be a good idea since this could be a bit of an ordeal if there is a chance the claim will be denied - technically you are outside of the powertrain warranty, so Subaru could tell you to take a hike.

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

One of the Monday/Friday models. :bored:Their build day should be included in the description so that you can find a Tuesday-Thursday model.

All joking aside, sorry for your loss.

pillboy likes this.