Roof racks and paint protection

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Jason C, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

I have a Thule roof rack system for my bike and since I bike a lot in the summer, I leave the rack on for weeks at a time. I took the rack off this weekend to wash/wax the car and noticed some paint damage where the rubber feet of the rack touched the car. It really wasn't "damaged", but it left a hazy mark in the exact shape of the rubber foot in the clear coat. Fortunately, it is rather light and only visible at an angle, but I would like to prevent this from happening again. Washing and waxing did not remove the hazy mark.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NPHuk337e7Hu3IW02

I am thinking of ordering some PPF sheet and cutting out and applying the film where the feet will touch the car. My question with that is will the adhesive cause problems if it is held tight to the paint under pressure? Conversely, I was also looking at using the static cling wrap for food and just putting a layer or two on the rubber feet before clamping them down to the car. Anyone have experience with this?

2. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

I have PPF under the feet of my OEM rack. It works great.

Someone may be able to buff out the scuffing you've experienced before you apply the PPF.

Jason C likes this.
  3. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

I used to run 3m PPF when I had a roof rack on my last car. Worked great with no damage to the paint (even when I drove into my garage with my bike still attached...that one suck). Got a 5yd sheet from Amazon for something like $30 iirc.

Jason C likes this.
  4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

LOL. I saw you on TV.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. I'll order up some PPF on Amazon. I've been careful and haven't crashed my bike into the garage so far... I usually wear my bike gloves when driving with my bike on top to remind me it's up there.

6. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

After my incident I started putting my garage door opener in the trunk so I'd physically have to get out and remember about the bike on top. But my Outback has homelink so I've gotta remember when I do use a roof rack these days (still have 1 tray I sometimes use). But I do have a hitch rack or just stick the whole bike inside the back with the seats folded down most of the time when I don't need to carry other passengers.