Rwd conversion

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by T_riggidy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Looking into doing rwd conversion as I'm planning to move next year! So hit me info on what to do! I have 2007 wrx built tranny, 3.9 final drive. I would like to go with ppg free spool, or is there any other brands!? Thanks for helping out!

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

If your going rwd I'd get rid of the r160 for a r180. A lot stronger rear diff.

3. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Do I have to do a whole rear end swap then? Or is the r180 direct replacement??

4. JasonoJordan

Can do custom axles n driveshaft

5. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

What area of the country?

6. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Portland!

7. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Why would you change to rwd for portland?

8. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

He's into that stancetard/hellaflush/stretchedbuttholetires scene, so it makes sense to go full retard and bork the handling of the car completely before moving to a wet climate.

9. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

I won't be going into the mountains, I was just there last week and the locals there said they get snow maybe once a year and it only stays for about a week and that's only about 2 inches! I'm just kind of bored of awd right now want to change it up!

10. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

lol slow day at work??

tooch pac likes this.
  11. readymix

No, not slow, just had a few minutes of spare time to stop by and make sure I wasn't shirking my moderator duties.

Ctracey218, Grayguy, souy07 and 4 others like this.
  12. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

That's cool:thumbup:

13. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Oregon or Maine?

tehfuzz likes this.
  14. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I would say get a rwd car like a cheap miata if you want to play around with rwd or just get a BRZ. The handling of those cars will be proper rwd, the subie will still be a nose heavy pig without the extra traction.
    IF you insist on doing it, def get the R180. You will need the 800hp DSS conversion rear axles to mate with your hubs. You will also might need to do something about the driveshaft I forget.

SCIFIDELITY and Cotts612 like this.
  15. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Oregon!

Cotts612 likes this.
  16. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Steppers!? And I was reading people say that they hated the dss axles especially for 1200 they said do an 04 sti rear end swap so I can keep 5x100

17. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I have those rear axles and I have had no problems. Maybe complaints were from early revisions of the axles? What did ppl hate about them?
    I think gimp uses the DSS 800hp rears too. They are strong as **** and I only paid $1000.
    An 04 STI r180/axles could work but would proly end up being almost as spendy because you would need to buy the rear hubs I think too. Also you will have a hell of a time finding good quality 10 year old parts because everyone wrx owner wants the 04 rear end because it's easy to swap.
    Keep in mind the 04-06 R180s are clutch based LSD which is nice but they are 10 years old and will proly need a rebuild before long.
    Other options are LGT spec B rear axles with the R180 but you will have to modify them because they are too long for our car.
    I extensively researched and the DSS axles were easiest and the best IMHO for keeping your 5x100 hubs/brakes.

T_riggidy and Tash like this.
  18. readymix

I believe the trick with the driveshaft is to use one from an Impreza 4EAT. The AT is a longer case, and thus the driveshaft is shorter. Don't quote me on that being 100% the right way to do this, but I believe that was what I remember from that discussion many years ago.

19. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

People complained they were too noisy and the axleboot wasn't good for daily driving!

20. JasonoJordan

Like others have said you can make your 07 rwd but it will not handle like rwd car. The motor imo is to far over the front wheels and you will need a good amount of power in the back to overcome that issue by sliding the rear end out.

T_riggidy likes this.
  21. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Get a early 90's 240Sx! Love those cars!

T_riggidy likes this.
  22. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

If I could find a clean unabused one that didn't break the bank I would!!! I was just at the formula drift championship in seattle, trust me I love them too!!

tooch pac and Cotts612 like this.
  23. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Haven't looked at the cv boots in a while but they seem better than the OEM boots.
    I haven't noticed any noise. At least no noise over the exhaust and turbo noise. Lol I would say you PAR gears are way louder than any axles would be.
    The only downside in my mind is the price but they sure are easy and stronger than OEM.
    Now you just need to buy the welded center diff for sale on here and remove your front axles.

24. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Oops it already sold. But something like this is all you need. You will need the front axle stubs because the 07 wrx has the male axle half shafts.
    http://mnsubaru.com/threads/fs-wrx-rwd-conversion-kit.45573/#post-748165

You could always put an R200 rear diff in there because 300zx rear axles are like $50 and strong. Would require some modification of subframe and hubs tho.

T_riggidy likes this.
  25. readymix

Hahahaha, fail. "I want to hack together a RWD system into an AWD econobox, but I want it to be quiet and a sensible daily driver."
    And you want PPGs...adorable. With the thousands you are lining up to piss away into making your car an unreliable and unruly piece of ****, you could spend the same money on a semi-sketchy 240 and the bits needed to clean it up and you would end up with a reliable and balanced RWD platform. Hell, the stancetard disease has gone terminal in the Nissan community, you wouldn't be a social pariah if you decided to toss on retard fitment wheels and stretched tires. I would say the moron-to-enthusiast ratio is like 3:2 around there. I hate the 350z forums, but you'd fit right in.

26. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Cool story! I don't want to ppgs I already have straight cuts...... I want a ppg spool which goes into the diff so it won't spin the front wheels...... Suprising I would have thought you'd love it on the nissan forums so you could b**** even more. Because it's seems like that's all you do on here:)

Fienix and blackozone like this.
  27. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Yeah I was reading up on the r200 swap and it seems like a lot of work, but I know in the end it would be worth but I don't think I want to go that route!

28. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Hmmm do you know how much fab work is involved? Do you think it's worth it to try and go that route!?

29. JasonoJordan

I can tell you now unless you are going to do a lot of this work yourself then I'd just opt to buy a rwd car. Not only will this take a lot of time but also a lot of money to do. That said good luck with the project.

30. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

I realize this! Thanks for actually helping out on this thread though!

tooch pac likes this.
  31. fancyfootwork15

fancyfootwork15 Well-Known Member

32. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Driveshaft length is an issue witha 6-speed swap. Not an r180.

Just need to swap an r160 flange on the r180. Done (driveshaft-wise)

A spool spins the front and rear diffs equally....you have to remove the front axles to keep the front wheels from spinning. The spool makes this possible.

There are a couple ways to do it. You can do it cheap just to see what it's all about. Get an extra stock center diff and weld it up. Get a pair of front axles, and disassemble them so you can put the outers in the hubs to keep the bearings from falling apart, and the inners in the transmission to keep the gear oil from leaking out, without the part in between. Put it together, and screw around.

Oh yea, prepare to replace your transfer gears often. Don't worry, they'll fail before the rear diff.

Or, do it right. The above, plus upgraded transfer gears, rear diff swap.

Or.....REALLY do it right, and add some custom crossmembers to move the engine/transmission back and down. And some other parts to tune the alignment and suspension for RWD.

btw.....r200 can be done as easy if not easier than an r180. But you've got some googling to do.......hint: start looking at LS swapped cars.

Tash, T_riggidy and Nhibbs like this.
  33. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Thank you!!!!!! And who makes upgraded transfer gears besides ppg!? I want to do the ppg free spool because it comes with everything you need to convert it to rwd like tranny plugs etc! Thanks man!

34. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

My plan is to move to portland next summer!

35. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

There are bolt up rear subframes for a r200, but you need to do custom axles or hubs.

There are other spools than the ppg as well

T_riggidy and Nhibbs like this.
  36. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

To summarize: Factory rwd ftw. For the cost/hassle to do this properly you can have a seriously fun, cheap, rwd beater. 2 cars > 1

T_riggidy and readymix like this.
  37. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Or trade for a brz hmmm ;)

38. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Or a non-Subaru.

BroCo, SCIFIDELITY, T_riggidy and 3 others like this.
  39. JasonoJordan

It all really depends on what you want out of your car. Brz is a fun car to drive on curvy roads or a track. Daily driving in traffic is not as fun as my wrx with the twinscroll. Just my opinon.

Or as shorty said a none subaru. When I bought my brz I went out with the intention of not buying another subaru but well we know how that ended.

T_riggidy and tehfuzz like this.
  40. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Hey so I've been reading up a lot! And couldn't i get the r180, put on the r160 flange, then get legacy spec-b axles and swap the outer cv to wrx??

41. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Yes but good luck finding spec b rear axles. If you do they won't be cheap.
    Another option is making hybrid axles with suberdave's outer cv races but I talked to him and it doesn't work for 07 axles because of the different spline count.

T_riggidy likes this.
  42. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Trade someone for a 2007 335i rwd. The old ones have come down in price and ppl in MN would probably want the awd if you find the right person.

T_riggidy and tehfuzz like this.
  43. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Hmmm don't tempt me!

44. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

It's been mentioned enough times already (sell your car and buy a proper red car), but I'm curious why you're not seriously considering just getting a red car?

The "beauty" of subarus is awd... Take away awd and there are a TON of nicer, cheaper, better handling cars out there.

EricS, SCIFIDELITY and Nhibbs like this.
  45. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Honestly I love my car, but I'm sorta bored of awd right now, but I love my car.... So I figure why not be different and convert it to rwd then I can have "fun" and still love my car! I'm just tossing ideas around right now!