ryjacobs's 2011 WRX randomness

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by ryjacobs, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

I am creating this thread to post any random pictures I take of my Suby from here on out... I'll start out with this weekend's activities:

Washed it up Saturday afternoon and clay barred and waxed that evening. The whole car was so smooth, I love it! It makes me wish I would have used clay bar on my previous car.

I went out with a couple friends who wanted to try some rolling shots this evening, so I'll post those whenever I get a hold of those pictures. I think they turned out pretty great. We also did some long-exposure shots on the gauge sweep... it looks sick (or just like every other gauge sweep picture :p).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shortly after, on the way home, it rained. Typical!

Edit: Deleted iPhone pics, Updated with better pics

2. ryjacobs

Edited the original post with some better pics!

3. ryjacobs

Here are the rest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mosho93

mosho93 Active Member

Ryan, I saw these on Jon's facebook, car is looking awesome! Gotta love WRB...

5. vovik05

vovik05 Active Member

Nice pics! I like the one in motion from front 3/4.

6. ryjacobs

Thanks! I am very stoked on how these all turned out. Seeing results like this really make me want to purchase my own camera so I can start learning and experimenting.

7. ryjacobs

I hit a deer at about 65mph Friday night.

Sometime this week I'm sure I will get an estimate for the damages. Not sure what to hope for... it is never going to be the same now. Maybe they'll total it out, maybe not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 054eatwagon

054eatwagon Well-Known Member

sorry to see this , good luck

9. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

this a very depressing thread now, went from nice pictures with shinny car to carnage. Damn deer. Good luck. Frame damage will probably be the deciding factor if they total it out or not.

10. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

Not a total, But sorry to hear about this.

11. ryjacobs

I talked to a guy with the 2009 WRX here at work. He hit a deer in a similar spot going the same speed, only his frame stayed untouched, so there was no airbag deployment. His total for repairs was $9,500, and the dealer told him it would have been another $5,000 for airbag deployment.

He had to use aftermarket body panels as well, so I am assuming the damages will be near $15,000 based on talking with him.

He has AmFam as well, and said they inspect it very closely if the damages exceed 50% the value of the car.

12. ryjacobs

The verdict is in: Not totaled for now, but couldn't get the hood open to inspect the engine bay... So it will be under further review.

13. Yeng Vue

Yeng Vue Member

Sucks. Sucha hassle too. Good luck with everything.

14. heel-&-toe

heel-&-toe Well-Known Member

F me, that sucks.

This is why I'm all in favor of more deer hunting. I hit a deer with a '92 civic hatch when I was in collage but oddly enough the deer didn't damage the front bumper. My car was so low (cool looking) that I clipped the deer's feet out from under it, it landed on it's side on top of the hood, bounced over the windshield, landed on top of the car and rolled off the back. Then the damn thing ran into the woods. My hood was left with a perfect imprint of the engine beneath it.

Good luck getting back on the road before the white stuff really starts to fly.

15. kvang

kvang Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear bout this. But if it makes you feel any better I did get a deer(hunting) this past weekend.

16. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I thought airbag deployed cars are totaled?

17. ryjacobs

Thanks for the support guys - I'm sure it will look good as new in the next few weeks. It is currently in Green Bay waiting for the final approval from my insurance company.

Apparently the frame is fine (deer hit right where the airbag sensor is, so it deployed), and engine components look fine aside from the radiator (probably the air box as well) - so it's mostly cosmetic.

Nuke - Only the one airbag went off, and the car (only having 11k miles on it and 7 months old) is probably valued too high at this point to total it. If it could have been totaled, I would have been happier with that.

18. Yeng Vue

Yeng Vue Member

What shop are you getting it repaired at? I work with a few bodyshops and I honestly would have to vouch for Raymond Auto Body in Saint Paul, MN. Even though their work speaks for itself. :D

19. ryjacobs

It's getting fixed in Green Bay... It didn't make sense to ship it across the state for the extra money at the time. We'll see how it turns out.

20. Natural2JZ

Natural2JZ Well-Known Member

Damn that was a very depressing turn. Hope your okay. Doesnt it make u just wanna get out and beat the **** out of that dumb deer? Best of luck.

21. ryjacobs

I heard today that they got all my new parts in... Probably another few weeks yet. Mid-December?

22. ryjacobs

Also was given this picture today...

Current state:
    [​IMG]

23. ryjacobs

So for anyone who has had similar experiences with a new car: How does the dealership treat warranty claims? Should I be worried (even though the car is being repaired 100% at a dealership's shop)?

24. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

You should have no issues with warranty claims. Are you getting it fixed at the dealership that you get it serviced at? I would be worried about it not being repaired to your standards prior to the accident.

25. ryjacobs

Nah I didn't have it towed back to Eau Claire. The insurance company wouldn't have covered the costs, which would have been around $400.

I'm getting super antsy to get my car back. It's been about 5 weeks now and I haven't heard much about progress or a completion date.

26. ryjacobs

"Maybe done on Friday" ... Not holding my breath.

27. DirtyLeg01

DirtyLeg01 Member

oh this sucks, saw your thread on nasioc. Hope it turns out alright and you get your car back soon.

28. ryjacobs

Ok this is getting ridiculous. Not Friday anymore, maybe mid next week.

It has been 41 days since the incident - how long does it take to rebuild this crap?

29. Medic_538

HAHA! Funny, maybe the insurance co. is giving the shop a to do list. I would just make sure that the paint matches the rest of the car. That was always the biggest thing I could tell with repaired vehicles. Hope you have it back before x-mas!

30. ryjacobs

Apparently it will be done tomorrow. They are waiting for more parts to arrive. Then I'm sure they will find something else wrong... :/

Gosh I hope the paint matches, I live 3.5 hours away, and I don't want to deal with it.

31. ryjacobs

The car is a little dirty so I will have to clean it up this weekend and inspect it better. Seems fine at a glance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. Infamous NF Crew

Infamous NF Crew BANNED

how does the car rides and sits now?

33. ryjacobs

Seems to ride just fine. Just drove it from Green Bay to Eau Claire without any issues!

I had them mount my winter tires on since I expected it to be cold and snowy... except it was about 45 degrees the entire drive home -- made the ride feel a little sloppy.

34. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

How does it do against the Camaro? Lol.

35. ryjacobs

Lol haven't had the chance to run it. My car definitely feels like it pulls harder though... it's only a 2010 2LT (I think), so the V6. It feels gigantic when driving it.

36. ryjacobs

Fired up the Subaru at lunch today to go home for some food... Now I'm dealing with a whining sound while under load that is louder than the typical "transmission whine" you get in 1st and 2nd. It's louder than my Invidia N1 (so pretty loud).

I have no idea here :(

Edit: It isn't really that could out either - about 30 degrees. It was fine last night when it was colder.

37. heel-&-toe

heel-&-toe Well-Known Member

I've experienced a louder than normal "whine" from the transmission twice now (in the last year since I got the car). You are not hearing things, it's real. Take it to your dealer ASAP. Both times it was a bearing going out. The first was a transfer bearing (next photo, 1500 miles on the car), the second was a throughout bearing (10,000 miles on the car. Sorry for the bad news but if it is the same as my car you'll be without it for a few more weeks.

[​IMG]

Trust me I feel your pain on not having your car. I just got my car back from the dealer yesterday after 25 days. I hit ice during the one storm we had in early December, slid into a curb and did the following. It took my insurance company FOREVER to approve everything that needed to be fixed. On a side note, Bloomington Acura Subaru was great to work with.

[​IMG]

38. ryjacobs

Thanks for the response - I'm sure once they hear it they will have a better idea with what they're working with. I suppose the fact that it sounded like the transmission should have been my first clue.

39. ryjacobs

It sat for a while between 1pm - 5:30pm at work cooling off. I turned it on and popped the hood right away. It definitely isn't the tranny... more like the AC pulley, which should have been replaced the first time around if it was even questionable.

I talked to my claims adjuster who worked with me before and he said he didn't think he was going to be able to get it approved to have it fixed at Chilson when it was initially fixed in Green Bay, and that he was disappointed in that shop that they didn't catch it before releasing the car. I mentioned that today was the first time I noticed the problem and have put about 400 miles on the car since taking it home. I told him that it shouldn't be my issue, and that I'm not at fault for this. I was not going to drive the car 200+ miles back to Green Bay, plus it was a holiday weekend.

So good thing it is probably not the transmission. Bad thing is the multiple shop issue and the fact that I'm still dealing with this junk.

40. laserj

laserj New Member

Hey Ryan, guess who joined the forum! :p Glad you like the pics. Any update on how things are going with that noise?

41. ryjacobs

Haven't had the chance to post in a few days, but it ended up being the power steering. I guess they didn't have a hose on well enough and all the fluid was drained.

Everything was taken care of and it has been running fine now. Yay!

Yeah - thanks for the pics laserj!! Maybe if it snows we can take some winter fun ones!

Infamous NF Crew likes this.
  42. ryjacobs

43. ryjacobs

Just put these fully on for the first time tonight for a test fit. I bought them from Starkall. Stock suspension for now... Snow tires go back on tomorrow before the snow comes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I'm driving back to Green Bay for moar fixes from the deer accident.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  44. Medic_538

Great to hear that you have it back in your garage! Love the wheels, just not the color... lol

45. Nater

Nater Member

I had my car out of commission sense november end of January, 3 months is a long time...... I know the feeling.