Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by 03Pleiades, Aug 21, 2008.

1. 03Pleiades

03Pleiades New Member

I recently got a job close to work and my car is now sitting most of the week as I can now walk to work.

My question is should I be concerned with water building up in the exhaust system as my car is now only being used for short, one to two mile jaunts around town? Especially during the winter months. Is going for a long drive on the weekends enough to clear it out of there?

Oh, I've got an '03 WRX with a completely stock exhaust system, if that makes any difference.

2. strangefamous

strangefamous Well-Known Member

Should not be a problem. Just start it up everyday if you can or everyother day. You wallet will be fat without paying for gas!

3. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

To get the water out of the exhaust and motor you'll have to get it up to temp and run it for a while. Last winter my PCV valve and catch can iced up from nothing but short trips for a week. It made my turbo puke about a quart of oil. A journal bearing turbo wouldn't like that so much.

4. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

you got a job close to work huh?

wow. thats uhh...awesome

5. TheHoboMan

TheHoboMan Well-Known Member

yeah, I had to read that a few times...lol I think I get what your saying. I don't drive my car to work anymore either so I usually start it up and let the oil get up to temp about twice a week. When i do drive my car it feels just as good as it did when I drove everyday.

6. 03Pleiades

03Pleiades New Member

Grr... I'm lacking sleep today. That should read I recently got an apartment close to work.