Simple ? about Factory Tweeters - disconnect with aftermarket speakers?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pbedroske, Oct 9, 2008.

1. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

I'm annoyed by my factory tweeters. Is there reason to keep them concidering I have Alpine type R two-way speakers in front and audiobahns in back? I think they're just too buzzy...

Thoughts???

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Get some replacements, pretty much any aftermarket set at the audio shops will be better and I think were talking less than 50 most the time for a set.

3. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Wait, you have Alpine 2 way component speakers in the doors with factory tweeters? Where did you mount the alpine tweeters? Or is the tweeter built into the mid-woofer? Either way, no need for the stock tweeters imo.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Not all TypeS/R's are component speakers, my Type S's I had the option and I picked just speakers.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

that's why I asked if they are coaxials

6. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

they are not component speakers - two way speakers as in woofer with mid/tweeter built in.

I'll probably just pop those stock tweeters out this weekend. at least give it a try without them.

7. qstarin

qstarin Well-Known Member

Your Alpine 2-way coaxial's are already covering the high frequency range that your factory tweeters are. As far as frequency output goes you'll lose nothing by removing the factory ones.

Now, sound output will decrease slightly on the higher frequencies because you have fewer speakers producing the sound. If you're powering the factory tweeters and the Type-R coaxial's using the same power source then you will gain back some output because more power will be available for the Type-R's (most likely - will depend slightly on the power source and the exact wiring, etc) (also, unless you have a VERY good deck you really should have an amp powering the Type-R's, even a small cheap one will make a huge difference over deck power).

The other thing to consider is that (I assume) the coaxial's are mounted in the bottom of the doors, which means that the high frequencies won't reach your ears very well. The result is that you'll hear the high frequencies more from the rear speakers. That will sound strange - it destroys the "front staging" and it's not good at all from a sound quality perspective. You will notice it unless you're half-deaf or have a ridiculously loud exhaust setup.

But, just disconnect them and see how it sounds - making sure, of course, that the disconnected wires don't short against each other or against ground.

Too bad you didn't get the Alpine SPR-17S, which are the 6 1/2" components. Then you would've gotten the separate tweeter with a passive crossover network. I run the SPR-17S component's up front and the SPR-17C 2-way coaxial's in back. It works quite well that way for me (except I'd rather have 6 1/2" mid-bass drivers in the rear deck and put the 17C's in the rear doors - but my rear door cards don't have speaker grills and I don't feel like a DIY would turn out well).