Site updates on 4-23-13

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by WRX1, Apr 22, 2013.

1. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, since I have the day off tomorrow, I plan on doing some site updates. Most of the updates I will be able to do with the site running and you might experience a blank screen here and there.

I do have a couple of large updates that I would like to get done. For those, the site will need to be down. I guess I would expect to see the site down at some point tomorrow for a little while, maybe a couple of hours if needed.

The big updates.
    Linode has done some pretty incredible upgrades on their end. With our current setup, we will be receiving double our current ram. So we will be moving too 2 1gb linode servers. To receive this update, we do need to shut down out servers and reboot them. Actually, I add us to the queue and they move us to the new hardware and reboot everything. Their estimated time is about 20 minutes to do the change over to new hardware and reboot. I have been watching the queue the past couple of days and it looks like the free updates are slowing down, so hopefully we can get both servers updated and running in 30-60 minutes.

XenForo has also released a new update. This is just going to be some bug fixes and a few minor things that haven't been taken care of since the lawsuit started. This update also needs to be done while the site is offline, so I would like to do the XF update after the servers have been updated to keep our downtime to a minimum.

Lastly will be our add-ons. Some of them are getting updates to handle the current XF update while getting ready for a major XF update on the horizon. Hopefully I will be able to get most of the add-on stuff taken care of while the site is running.

If I know that I will be shutting the site down, I will post a message here with a kinda close time of when I think I will take it down. I will also update our site down page once everything gets back up and running.

Russ

ofspunk7, CarpalTomO and Musashi like this.
  2. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I think I have all my small add-ons updated and all the little things done that I need to get done. With that being said, the only other thing(s) that need to take place is the hardware migration and the larger XF update. I just checked the migration queue and there was only 2 in front of me (if I entered). So I plan on entering the queue around noonish and we will go from there. Hopefully the migration will take less than 1 hour to get bothservers moved and updated.

I will update this thread when I enter the queue.

Russ

CarpalTomO likes this.
  3. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all you do Russ

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Huzzah!

5. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, just want to give everyone the heads up.

The Linode hardware migration is now complete.

I still have to do the large XF update that I may push to a later date.

I do still have some tweaking that needs to be done to the site, so do not get real surprised if the site goes down or seems to hang a bit.

As always, if you see something out of place, please let me know.

Russ