Sloppy vague shifter

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Nic Wiederhold, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Nic Wiederhold

Nic Wiederhold Member

SO I've spent a bit of time researching solutions to improve the shifting on my '96 STi. Many of you already know about this information but I'm using this thread to keep track of the research I'd like to keep documented and to use as a platform to plan my solution. I can also post pix while I work on it.

Here's what I'm dealing with. There's got to be more of us dealing with this. Sorta a spoon in ice cream. Like 'I hope I get 3rd this time!' I'm pretty sure my problem is in the transmission end of the shift rod linkage.

STiShifter.jpg

This is not an exaggeration BTW this is actually how much play I have when it's in gear. I have the bent stick style shifter arm like this one and I'm pretty certain that it's this bushing that is the problem:

upload_2020-9-25_21-14-47.png

My plan is to replace it with this one from TiC: https://turninconcepts.com/driveline/tic-5mt-linkage-update.html

I'm not certain yet if I have an external return spring that is possible with the vintage of my STi. If it is I'll have to fabricate a couple tabs to accommodate the return spring. If so I may need to get a new one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-33022GA081-Spring/dp/B07284RHWX

The cup looks pretty solid from the top but perhaps a new shifter stabilizer bushing would help that like this one: https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/19.1102

I'll take some pix this weekend of the underside of the car to show if I do have the external return spring. I figure while I'm in the console I will probably make modification to the turbo timer function connected to the parking brake.

More to come...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    euro and tangledupinblu like this.
  2. Nic Wiederhold

Nic Wiederhold Member

I decided to shop around for a short shifter just to see what's out there for a '96 STi. I looked at Fidanza and found a couple. I can't figure out what makes this one more expensive:

upload_2020-9-26_11-15-15.png

Than this one:

upload_2020-9-26_11-15-58.png

Steel one is stronger?

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

More pieces!? Lol. I had a Fidanza...it was meh. But if you are just looking for less slop, then you should be good.

Nic Wiederhold likes this.
  4. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I had one like the second picture in my 5spd, no complaints and it worked just fine.

Nic Wiederhold likes this.
  5. Nic Wiederhold

Nic Wiederhold Member

Sweet. Thanks for the input, guys.

6. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Nic Wiederhold

Nic Wiederhold Member

Now that I'm sure I can legally drive my car, I'm feeling comfortable getting serious with fixes/upgrades. This one is critical IMO so I ordered the parts!! Can't wait to fix it. I'll post in progress pix when the parts get here and I start working on it just in case it's interesting.

EricS and Butthau5 like this.
  8. Nic Wiederhold

Nic Wiederhold Member

First got the shifter removed after punching out the spring pins. (I skipped pix since there's some pretty comprehensive YouTubes for this). Went pretty easily by comparison to my BMW. I didn't have to remove anything other than the console to get to the retainer plate. From underneath I had plenty of room and access to the linkage coupler.
    IMG_2185.jpg
    Here's what the old one looked like. You can see that the transmission side bushing is totally gone:
    IMG_2186.jpg
    Then I pulled out my new parts. I replaced this coupler with the TiC linkage update. I also got some poly bushings for the shifter support arm too, and a new bushing for the shifter arm.
    IMG_2187.jpg
    Here's the new coupler along side the old one. You can see that the new one is missing the external return spring for the earlier models:
    IMG_2188.jpg
    So I cut the tab off the old one and welded it onto the new one:
    IMG_2189.jpg IMG_2190.jpg IMG_2191.jpg IMG_2192.jpg

FIXED!!
    IMG_2193.jpg

SO the drive is a night/day difference from trying to wish for the gear you want. Worth every penny and worth the effort for sure. If you've got any sloppiness in your shifter do this! It's pretty easy and really improves the drive.

Attached Files:

Krazylegz1485, EricS and Butthau5 like this.
  9. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Looks solid how much was the TiC linkage? I kinda want one.

10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

The shifter in the wife's Forester we got is sloppy like a hotdog down a hallway. It's awful. I bought the OEM replacement swivel thing like that as well as poly bushings and the return spring. Unfortunately I didn't get to it before it got cold so I'm really looking forward to getting it taken care of when it warms up. I did slide under once just to take a look at it and the spring is gone as well as the bushing (similar to yours).

Cotts612 and Nic Wiederhold like this.
  11. Nic Wiederhold

Nic Wiederhold Member

The TiC linkage is $85. Pretty cheap (by BMW standards). I've seen them cheaper but I like the option of removing the bolt next time to replace the bushings. Maybe bypassing the roll pins if I'm lucky.

euro likes this.
  12. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

How do you know what gear you're in?!! Can you read Japanese characters? :uhhuh: That is super cool btw!

13. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

The fact that the bushings
    He never leaves 3rd gear obv

tangledupinblu and Cotts612 like this.
  14. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Once again, glad I found this thread.

Curious how much benefit the TiC linkage update offers by itself? In other words, I bought a Kartboy short throw shifter plus their bushing combo. Wondering if the TiC is the last 20% of the equation or more like 80%.

I guess if I'm still not satisfied I can dish out the $$$ for the TiC.

I do wish there were cheaper options, though. Happy to spend money making the shifting better on my FXT but my Saabaru is nearing 200k and is significantly more sloppy, but significantly harder to justify putting $$$ into. Such is life.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  15. SaggyWagon

SaggyWagon Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat! Had a Kartboy short throw installed (with bushings) before I owned the vehicle, it was crisp with solid throws. A few years down the line, the linkage bushing disintegrated after one of those birthday drive-by's during the beginning of lockdown. Found out about the TiC linkage and WOW. It doesn't affect the actual throw at all but it got rid of, pretty much, ANY horizontal play in the shifter. Simple terms, short throw shifter made the vertical throw more tactile and precise. Linkage got rid of any play when in or out of gear, more so horizontal play.

16. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

who looks at the shifter when driving? it's all feel.

17. euro

euro Well-Known Member

If it felt sloppy i would probably look to

18. tangledupinblu

Any and all additions to the shifting components in a Subaru are great additions.

19. tangledupinblu

Unless you own a BRZ!:p It was perfect from the factory.

20. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

:bounce:

It's not a glory hole...

tangledupinblu and euro like this.
  21. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Same problem on my 03' wayyy back in 2008 and TIC to the rescue. I picked up their KartBoy Short-Throw shifter and bushings kit. It completely transformed driving the car compared to the original OEM setup, still going strong (knock on wood).

Saw you had to cut and weld... curious if that was because parts were tough to find or just wanted that brand?