sluggish 03 Forester

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by 9091LEGACY, Apr 13, 2016.

1. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

My 03 forester automatic, 154k miles, bone stock, 17" legacy gt wheels,is due for head gaskets, timing pulleys etc. My question is, is there anything I can do to give my car a little more power without being an impractical daily driver? I know being an 03 it was designed to be efficient but its just flat out a turd. I had an 03 forester 5spd that seemed to have twice the power as my auto does. Is there some emissions junk i can safely get rid of? Ive aslo been considering a cheap set of headers. I have had countless subarus byt this thing is slower than my old 85 GL, its sad. It still runs good, doesnt have bad piston slap, doesnt burn oil, and gead gaskets are barely seeping. Any help is appreciated!!

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I would think that with the lack of problems, which is rare, that you should leave it alone!

Or swap a 5spd in it? Lol

3. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Its been a great car, no oil leaks, or major issues to speak of. Was adult lady driven its whole life, my wife drived it most of the time and she cant drive a 5spd.

4. Deathly

Deathly Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you. ;)

5. Deathly

You can wire something to make it permanent 4x4 instead of a heavy FWD bias. Then you can have mad driftbaru

6. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Nice. Some serious answers would be greatly appreciated :banghead:

tehfuzz likes this.
  7. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

There's no drfiting in this turd.

tehfuzz likes this.
  8. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Mainly looking for any emissions things that can be eliminated and mild upgrades.

9. Deathly

That isn't legal :frantic:

10. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Not legal?

11. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

A light weight crank pulley and an equal length header!

12. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

So its equal length headers that gain the most power and not unequal correct? Is there much gain with unequal?

13. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Not much gain in modding a NA in general.
    Everyone is going to say don't throw your money away.

Deathly likes this.
  14. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Ya ive heard that quite a bit also but there has to be some emissions items that could be deleted or some sort of restriction that could be enhanced. I know this year in particular had a huge efficiency push that drastically affected the power and reliability, if i didnt like the car so much id go back to an old legacy wagon with a 2.2L.

15. derp

derp Well-Known Member

you have a 4cyl NA automatic AWD SUV. You've literally got everything going against you. There's a reason you've 'heard that quite a bit', there really just isn't **** you can do within what I would consider a reasonable budget. The return on investment is so low it's just not worth it.

Deathly likes this.
  16. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Ive had a few 95 legacys with 2.5, several 93 and older legacys with the 2.2, an 85 GL with the 1.8, an 02 legacy gt, an 03 forster 5spd, 98 outback 2.5 dohc, and others im sure im forgetting and they all seemed to have twice the power! I guess ill just tow the subaru around with my 2013 fiesta, that little pop can is suprisingly quick.

17. derp

derp Well-Known Member

is something broken then? If it's truly as bad as you say, it sounds like it's not operating properly.

18. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

I dont know? Everything seems to be functioning correctly, only engine code is for gas vapor recirc leak, not burning oil or coolant?

19. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

So nobody has any good tips other than the usual dont do anything?

20. euro

euro Well-Known Member

accept that it is the slowest of subarus made in the last 15 years other than the tribeca?

21. SkywarnSubie

SkywarnSubie New Member

Maybe that leak is causing it to run lean?

22. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Its just a vapor recirculation leak and from what ive heard its a pain to fix and doesnt affect the car anyway. And im guessing that even the tribecca with the 3.0 is faster than my slowaru. It has to downshift to 2nd when going up average hills while driving down the freeway at 70mph.

23. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

So when was the last time you changed your spark plugs fuel filter air filter all these items?
    What are you getting for MPG?

24. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

I think i swapped out the plugs a year and s half ago with iridium plugs, fuel filter no idea (will do this weekend) air filter is in good shape, mileage has alwas been around22-24. My other forester with the 5spd would get around26-27. It seams soooo restricted when you try to accelerate almost like youve got your foot half on the brakes (the brakes are fine, not sticking). It seams like its trying to suck its air through a straw and push the exhaust out through another straw if that makes sense lol.

25. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Ive condidered putting more frer fliwing intake on it but have issues in the past with other vehicles leaning out, anyone ever had thus issue with a NA 2.5?

26. JasonoJordan

have you checked to see if your intake inlet is maybe collapsing? Doubtful on an NA but maybe worth checking to see how hard it is to squeeze it off.

27. JasonoJordan

I would not recommend an Intake without a tune. Could try a better flowing drop in filter like an K&N filter however.

28. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

I was thinking a mandral bend with a k&n but thought it might be too much, the inlet on stock is ridiculously tiny.

29. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

E-brake stuck? Wheel bearings on the way out (are they howling)? Plugged up cat possibly? Maybe it's just a turd...I've never driven one.

I would think intake and exhaust would help wake it up a little bit...

30. JasonoJordan

-Ignore this post have to many threads open at once!

31. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

IIRC, the stock n/a motors for that model used copper spark plugs. You may want to try going back to the stock plugs and see if that helps, but like everyone else said, you're driving one of the slower models in the lineup to begin with and there isn't much you can do with them. Headers, intakes, etc are going to give very, very minimal gains. The reason your other cars probably felt faster was that they were lighter than the Forester.

It's not a racecar, it's a point A to point B car in all weather. I'm guessing there isn't anything wrong with it, it's just not a fast car to begin with.

9091LEGACY, euro and JasonoJordan like this.
  32. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Plugged up catalitic converter?

pocketrocket likes this.
  33. ShortytheFirefighter

Also, there isn't much for emissions stuff that you can delete. The 2003s didn't have the secondary air pumps and some of the other emissions items that came out in the later years. It's possible you've got a plugged cat, you could buy a high flow cat and have a muffler shop install it in place of the factory cat. However, a plugged cat would likely set engine codes.

34. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Nope, I've had plugged cat, no codes.

ShortytheFirefighter likes this.
  35. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Ebrake is fine, brakes are fine, bearings are good its probably just a turd. Im basically just looking for suggestions regarding factory restrictive parts that can be removed or modified.

36. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

Im doubtful about a plugged cat since it doesnt burn any oil or have any sootcaround the tailpipe but is something ill look into.

37. derp

derp Well-Known Member

So basically you want to be told to add an intake and exhaust, because you want to add an intake and exhaust.

joebush44 likes this.
  38. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

No intake and exhaust would be a lsst step if its beneficial, mostly trying to figure out if any stock restrictive parts ciuld be eliminated or modifed which im hearing isnt really anything.

39. ShortytheFirefighter

Intake and exhaust are going to add noise, and that's about it.

40. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

LS Swap....

41. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I think it's been answered a few times. Its a na auto forester, there's just not much you can do to that car to get any noticeable gains. Just buy a cheap wrx. Problem solved. Except tht its another Subaru :blackeye:

9091LEGACY likes this.
  42. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Would smaller diameter tires work?

43. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

You might be on to something. Original post mentions it has 17" wheels on it from a Legacy, but there is no mention of tire size. I wonder what the overall tire circumference is compared to what is supposed to be on the car?

tangledupinblu likes this.
  44. 9091LEGACY

9091LEGACY Active Member

They are 215-60r17s originals were 215-60 16s so yes they are a little bigger, LS swap would solve my problems exvept id end up working it once a week instead of once a year.

45. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Tire diameter and circumference is 3.9% larger than OE (provided the 215-60/16 was original equipment - you can't assume the last set on a used car was factory correct).

So...does anyone know what the effect is on acceleration with this taller "gearing"? Is it linear? Does the car accelerate 3.9% slower?