Spark Plug blow out... need help.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by MidnightImpreza, Jan 13, 2012.

1. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

Hi. I had a spark plug pop out of its hole while driving. Looked like the threads on the plug were okay, so the threads in the head I assume are stripped. I was able to putt the car home on 3 cylinders, which I really hope did not cause more issues. I installed another plug after I made it home, but I think the majority of the threads are stripped in the head. I've been told that a possible fix is a helicoil. Or find a used head. My car is an 2006 Impreza 2.5i. I think the engine code is a EJ253. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm by no means experienced with engines. Wondering if anyone has had this happen to them? Wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a possible fix.

Thanks.

2. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that happened to me in my s-10,
    It had a junk yard head, and it was stripped.
    I ended up jb welding it in. (I was young)
    It lasted a year, lol.

3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Spark plug threads are pretty much universal. They make kit specifically for HeliCoiling them. Just remember to cake the thread tap with grease to catch the shavings and keep them out of the engine.

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

hey tony, sorry to hear about that.

if you end up needing a hand let me know

-brett

5. MidnightImpreza

FYI, By no means would I try to install the helicoil myself. I would prefer to have a shop do that specialty work. Sounds like my extended warranty won't cover this kind of job. Figures. I serviced the plugs myself twice on this car now. 64k miles on it. I'm probably responsible for the mishap. I'm most likely going to have to have that head removed. I believe this is cylinder number 4 (driver side closest to the firewall). Anyone have a low mile, gently used, ready to go head for my 2.5i? Driver side. If ones available, I consider that an optional solution to this problem if a helicoil doesn't work. First the head has to be inspected. Dealership wants $140 just to look it over. Dang! Probably won't take it there. After installing the new spark plug, I can tell that some of the threads are stripped. Just a couple of them at the inside hold. Crap! If anyone has a head for sale, let me know. Thanks.

6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

If you can replace a spark plug, you can helicoil it. Go to the parts store, and look at the kit. It's a small cost. Worst case scenario: it doesn't work, and you have to have the professionals do it.

Don't ASSUME that you have to have the head taken off. This is absolutely fixable with the engine installed and assembled. Call a shop (I do not recommend a dealership for service), and ask them for a quote to helicoil a spark plug. Any decent shop will have a pretty good idea what's involved off the top of their head. I'd bet it's less than the shop minimum...

7. MidnightImpreza

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check with some local repair shops today about it.

8. MidnightImpreza

Car will be done this afternoon. I just brought it to a local shop. It's my daily driver. I needed it now and fixed right. Obviously I need to be a little more careful next time I work on my car.