Spectator Drags @ Cedar Lake Speedway - July 30th

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Krazylegz1485, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Hey all. Not sure if anybody's interested in something like this or not but gonna throw it out there anyways in hopes to see another Subaru (and hopefully a faster one) in attendance.

I did this last year and it was pretty fun for how short I lasted. I've been a dirt track fan since I was little and have always wanted to race, just never really had the means.

Anywho, Cedar Lake did spectator drags last summer for the first time. I've watched countless videos online of asphalt spectator drags gone bad - people running into each other because they start right next to each other, people rolling over or crashing into the walls. It's nuts. Was pretty tempted to check out the drags at Elko last summer, but have heard horror stories from there as well. That and I figured dirt would be way more fun, and maybe I'd have a chance with the AWD.

Cedar Lake runs the competitors staggered - one starts at the s/f line, the other starts half way down the back stretch. No worries you're ever gonna wreck on account of somebody else not knowing how to drive.

I survived the first round against a jacked up, square body Chevy truck. Needless to say it probably didn't fare to well in the corners. 2nd round I got knocked out by some dude in a 4x4 diesel truck that a) spooled up by power braking his automatic and b) got a pretty decent jump start.

All in all, it was still pretty fun to finally get some laps in around a track I've been going to most of my life. Having seen so many videos of other drags online, I was thoroughly surprised to see so many trucks competing. It was definitely a bro fest. What I'm getting at and hoping for is for a couple of you guys who have decently fast cars and don't mind getting dirty, going out and kicking some bro ass. I think my car was running a little wonky (super humid, hot July evening last year) and I just basically didn't have the balls to go out and beat on 'er full tilt.

Guy that won last year was in an early 90's turbo Eclipse (I think). Other competition included a 4-dr G6, Lincoln SUV, and a bunch of trucks.

I do have videos I can post of my runs, but the audio is kinda brutal with the mother in law screaming her face off half the time...

2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

At first I thought your mother-in-law was in the car with you and you had a Go-Pro mounted on the dash. The extra ballast would have been the reason you lost. Second thought was how I could convince you to take MY mother-in-law. Then I figured it out.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  3. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

Ive been to the Elko Eve of destruction which is pretty fun but never entered a vehicle into the spectator drags but thats my favorite part of the night. Id be interested in going and watching, just depends on work and all that. Plus my Forester isnt that fast either lol. Elko has the Eve of destruction like once a month and I just havent had the chance to go but Id be interested in both.

4. Krazylegz1485

Pics of said mother-in-law? Haha.

I do have one video that's just dash cam, so luckily no shouting...

klutz, pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  5. pillboy

At least you didn't put it in the wall.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  6. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

What are the rules and everything?

7. Krazylegz1485

Here are the rules I remember them saying last time. Has to be street legal/driven there. Long sleeves and long pants. Helmet. No passengers.

I'm assuming everything ran was driven there. Nobody had a helmet or long sleeves on. Several people had passengers in plain sight. And one guy blatantly admitted to me that he was drunk (the G6 driver). He somehow managed to pop his right rear tire, too. Let's just say I'm kinda glad they had a staggered start setup.

8. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

That look like some fun! How rough was the track?

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Lol...staggered, or staggering start?

Ryan FailRad and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  10. Krazylegz1485

I'm not gonna lie, it was definitely rougher than I expected (having never driven on a dirt track), but not in an OMG I'm gonna die way.

And it was actually stickier than I expected too. Going in I figured I'd have an advantage with the AWD, and I even swapped on my stock wheels (lighter) with the snow tires, thinking I'd have a solid traction advantage. I guess in my head I was expecting almost a gravel like feeling. Instead, it was mainly just hard and rhythmically bumpy. Kinda like washboard dirt roads, but not nearly as bad and annoying. The "pattern" of the bumps is kinda diagonal so it's not quite as bad.

I'm pumped to try again, having at least an idea of what it's like going in. No warm up laps or even really seeing the track conditions before you roll out there. I was nervous as hell.

Cotts612 likes this.
  11. tangledupinblu

Looks bumpy! I liked the rev when he asked where the Subaru fans were. ;)

Cotts612 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  12. Krazylegz1485

Alright. To help you guys get a visual, I'll post the other camera angles. Again, disclaimer, mother in law is obnoxious. If and when you can, listen closely to what the announcer says. It's pretty hilarious.

klutz likes this.
  13. Krazylegz1485

In that in car shot, you can hear me say "what?" when I was lined up there. The flag guy goes "you got a lot of fans out here...".

It was pretty awesome. Was so nervous going in I forgot to record my first lap, which was my only win, too.

14. Ryan FailRad

Is that like a Lemons start?

15. Ryan FailRad

you think with a stiffer tire you would have done better? Snows are pretty squishy

16. Krazylegz1485

In my opinion, no. It's so rough I think any stiffer would be hell. Plus dirt track cars typically run a crazy soft tire, at least I think so. I've got two sprint car tires at home and the tread is quite squishy.

Also, I was kinda surprised at how fast it felt out there, despite only making it into 3rd momentarily. Granted, that could be due to me being afraid to put my DD in the wall, but the straights are so short I didn't really have a need to go to 3rd. I kinda wish I had a way to track my speed while out there since I definitely didn't have time to look at anything other than the track.

17. Krazylegz1485

I put a bigger rear sway in recently and I can tell a noticeable difference even just on normal driving. Maybe that'll help the slightest amount in the corners and not want to push to the wall so bad.

18. tangledupinblu

When it wants to push into the wall, add throttle and steering for ultra mad doriftorz!

19. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Cheap obd2 Bluetooth adapter and an app on your phone to do the logging :) they even log the phones accelerometers.

20. tangledupinblu

Are they accurate?

21. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Looks like it would be fun with an H6-swapped rallyx car :)

tangledupinblu likes this.
  22. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Which part?

23. tangledupinblu

Data logging parts.

24. Krazylegz1485

Bump. Just a reminder for anybody interested. Kind of on the fence myself, but will most likely end up going again.

25. tangledupinblu

Where is this Cedar Lake racetrack that you speak of?

26. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Dirt track in New Richmond. Haven't been there since the 90's but it was a good time back then.

27. Krazylegz1485

Northwest of New Richmond a handful of miles. Pretty nice place, actually.

28. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

This looks like a good time! A good way to get to beat on your car with little to no risk. If a group goes up, I'll definitely come spectate!

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  29. tangledupinblu

Out past Cold Springs?

30. Krazylegz1485

No sir. Other side of the river. Out dare in da Sconni side, ya!

Head east to Osceola, then south and east a little. I found a pretty cool hilly/windy route from our place to get over to Osceola.

31. Krazylegz1485

That's kinda my frame of mind. I always wanted to "race" on a dirt track, so wasn't even concerned with winning. Luckily got lined up with a big mud truck first round last year so I got a second lap.

That and I'm still a little hesitant to just go out and pound on it. It's still our nicest car and fixing stuff costs money, especially on these things.

32. Krazylegz1485

Got 'er done!

[​IMG]

33. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Congrats! It looks like you were less shy with the throttle this time around. The dingus in the Duramax couldn't seem to keep his panties on and definitely didn't wait for the "go" but you put him in his place anyway. :thumbup:

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  34. pillboy

Great job Krazy! Kept it off the wall, out of the lake, and didn't blow it up. Are those driving shoes or soccer cleats?

35. Krazylegz1485

They're like those clip in bike shoes. One on the gas, one on the clutch. Cuz no brakes, right?

pillboy likes this.
  36. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Congrats, way to represent subies against the bros!

Krazylegz1485 likes this.