Sputtering sound when giving gas

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by StpOBS, Mar 23, 2017.

1. StpOBS

StpOBS Member

Hi all,

New here and actually a first time owner! I basically inherited a '98 Impreza OBS and there are a few issues with it.
    1998 Subaru Impreza outback sport 2.2l EJ22. Automatic 4sp

I'm getting a loud sputtering while accelerating. I'm idling fine and can coast silently but everytime I push the throttle the sputter starts. Sounds kind of like a slap over and over.

I tried spark plugs and wires and to be honest, I think I made it worse. I also tried some techron fuel injector. But I'm not even sure what grade is gas I should be putting in as I do not have a manual.

Then occasionally when I'm up to second I get a weird almost grinding or buzzing sound coming from the front. Only lasts a second and then it's gone. This seems to happen right around 2500 rpm.
    I am quite worried as this is my daily driver and do not want to make things worse. Is this something anyone is familiar with?
    Also looking for a good mechanic who won't break the bank if I have to take it in. I'm pretty young and this is my first car. I'm in Saint Paul area.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks a lot. Look forward to being a part of this community.

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Any Check engine lights on?

Easy things to try for the sputtering would be to remove and clean your mass air flow sensor. Its located on your intake just after the filter box.
    The buzzing could be a sticking shift solenoid but just speculating.

3. StpOBS

StpOBS Member

Oh yeah! I have p0440 CEL. Tried a new OEM gas cap but alas, Nada. Hoping it's not the dreaded filler neck I've read about. But with almost 20 years on her I've got some rust underneath. Not too familiar with the MAF. Is there a tutorial to clean and maintenance?
    Thanks!

4. JasonoJordan

Aegis likes this.
  5. StpOBS

StpOBS Member

Awesome. Thank you! Will definitely give that a shot when I get out of work

6. JasonoJordan

Another thing that could cause it to sputter would be potentially a plugged cat.

All these are just speculation. Without actually seeing the car it can be hard to diagnose when there are little to no codes.

7. StpOBS

StpOBS Member

Well I'm not too familiar with exhaust systems. So I guess I'll be looking to take her in if the MAF doesn't clear it.
    Appreciate it a lot. Thank you

8. JasonoJordan

Good place thats not to far from you would be JM Auto. They are in our vendors list.

9. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

The MAF is a solid place to start. I have a 95 Legacy with a 2.2 and I think it did the same thing, or at least pretty similar. I scored a "new" MAF sensor from the U pull yard and it cleared up my issues.

FYI, it seems like a bunch of models back then had the same part # for the MAF. While I was in the yard I would look up the specific vehicle on Rock Auto and their aftermarket option was the same for many different models and even different engine sizes.

phi11 likes this.
  10. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

No air leaks between MAF and throttle body? Cracked or broken hoses after MAF? I have to ask...air filter clean?

11. StpOBS

StpOBS Member

Filter is brand new! Went through the little trouble shooting I know hah. I'm going to take a look into the MAF this weekend as long as the weather holds. I haven't noticed any hose issues but what do I know!
    Appreciate the advice. Hopefully I can clear it up and get back at you guys.