Squealing Noise at very Low RPM?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Pauline, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Pauline

Pauline New Member

The car makes a squealing/squeaking/chirping noise in 1st gear at very low rpms (essentially right as you get into the gear). The car makes it on both acceleration and de-acceleration (for example, right before you’d put the clutch in to stop it from stalling). It will also occasionally make the tiny chirp noises at idle, in neutral. It does not make the sound in any other gear. My foot is off the clutch. I’ve attached a video of the sound, any idea what’s causig this?
    06 STi

2. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Check the squeak plates in your pads. I had the same issue and it got really loud yesterday. It happens when the rotor moves even the smallest bit... With the front jacked up, I was able to hear the noise by spinning the rotor while pushing the bottom of the inside pad against it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  3. Pauline

Pauline New Member

I will check this, however why would it occasionally make the noise at idle? and why is it only at low rpms in 1st gear and not any other time? I never thought about it being brakes, this is an interesting insight that I will check out

4. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Here's a few more ideas..

If it's at idle and you for sure aren't rolling, then check the clutch slave pin. When the gap between the slave pin and clutch fork loosens up, it will chirp at idle when the clutch isn't pushed in but goes away when pressure is put on it. You could try adjusting the clutch preload bolt to apply enough to keep the pin tight but not so much to engage the clutch (which wears out the throw out bearing).. However, The slave pin issue tends to sound like a bad throw out bearing and is a frequent and consistent noise.

You can also check thin metal guards like exhaust heat shielding, which tend to shake and chirp at lower rpms.

Or possibly something with a bearing on the accessory belt line, like alternator. You might be able to lower the rpm on your accessport and see if it's at a specific rpm range. If you can hear it while you are outside/under the car, you'll find your answer faster.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Sounds like your throw out bearing.
    Try focusing your diagnostic work on that and let us know what you find.
    Re: potential replacement, you could research the "snout kit" (input shaft collar) and decide if it's right for you.

6. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

My money is on the AC belt tensioner pulley. It's a shot in the dark without seeing it in person. The other options mentioned above are also good leads.

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

These are my first thoughts. But it's a pretty vague description from which to make a diagnosis. Does it only happen when moving? Does the sound change by moving the clutch pedal? brake pedal?

8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Door hinge.

9. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Probably. Either that or finches nesting in the dash.

Krazylegz1485 and pillboy like this.
  10. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Cricket hitchhiker