STEAL THIS CAR, if you can

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Se7enrex, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

I have been hearing so much about low life scum stealing cars and frankly its sickening, so what ways are there that will help out? and along with that what ways are people stealing cars, are they mostly hotwiring, breaking steering column? So a couple things come to mind being that I am moving into my apartments soon and the landlord said that there is some theft every once and a while, so lets fight it.

1. I know those club things look dumb and arent terribly cheap(although not very expensive) but that has to be some sort of theft detterent.

2.Ok, so they break in and find away around the club and plan on hotwiring your car, make it a pain in there arse, Bolt up a plate underneath that reaches from the bottom of the dash(under the steering column) to the fire wall, secure it with safety keys(those star shaped tools,name?), now thats gonna suck, and your factory alarm should be going off already, so if this theif continues hes gonna need for all this work about 7 min just to get past that shield, no way they take that long especially with anybody around.

3.Buy that stupid key fob thing, like you see in the commercial the guy at the bar and his thing beeps and he runs out to the back alley and kicks that guys ass.Might help?

But most of all I think its preventative caution steps, heres things I will do, tell me if you know of anything to.

1. Carry a small bag(yes like a handbag:eek4:,backpack,courier bag,fanny pack:laugh: ) When you park your car for a long period of time, take stuff and just throw it in, ex. ipod,radar detector,camera,wallet,phone,glasses, and every other little trinket you got hiding in there. designate it your 'subaru' bag so you always know where your stuff is, its a bit of a pain but well worth it.

2. Always park near people, and well lit areas(duh), near cameras

3. I leave all my compartments wide open, ie. glove box, center console so that if they look in(which they always do first) they see that there is nothing in there, or it looks like somebody already went through it.

4. If at a resturaunt or somewhere with many windows, just face the damn car, its ok to look at your baby while you eat:)

5. Option number five, carry a big gun, like a military issue desert eagle and hide in your car every night and the day that bastard tries to rip you off, ****ing take off an arm(but be carefull cause the re-coil might take yours off:) )

remember to always look out for #1:biggrin:

2. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

hahaha, roll down your drivers window and throw some broken glass on your seat..... then they will think someone already stole everything

3. bikerwriter

bikerwriter Well-Known Member

Broken glass? Good one!

I once had somebody break into a car to steal a $50 Sony Discman. They did like $600 in damage because instead of smashing the window, the mf'ers tried prying the door open. :roll:

4. techy101

techy101 Well-Known Member

If you really want to go all out, Clifford makes a product called the BlackJax. You program a code in, and every time the drivers door is opened and then closed, or the car is started it starts a countdown. You have like a minute to put in the code (you can hide the buttons wherever you want). it'll give you a warning chirp and make lights start flashing to remind you, then if you still don't put it in, it totally just shuts down the car. alarms blaring.

Pain in the ass....yup. But it would darn sure work.

5. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

with my old civic's i use to just pull out the ECU.

6. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

^^^
    That works good, I did that, lol

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

hahaha!! I love that!

I've thought about hiding a kill switch. some funny little black button in the glovebox or something that cuts power to the Main Relay...

8. carl

carl Well-Known Member

if they really want a car they will tow it.

9. carl

carl Well-Known Member

to make this or stealing in general harder - put a boot on your own car :laugh:

or put 4 on

10. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

I always had a hidden switch on my snowmobiles, otherwise all you had to do was pull the wires off of the back of the ignition switch and the thing would start...

11. Tcat55371

Tcat55371 Well-Known Member

Well

Just drive a 26 year old XT and they will leave you alone. :)

12. hofit

hofit Well-Known Member

So true. As for the club, it takes about 20 seconds to hack through a steering wheel rendering the club pretty useless. I like #5. I carry my .40 with Corbon hollows and my fob pages me when my alarm goes off. I'll kindly introduce myself to them as the last person on earth they'd like to meet.

13. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

I always wanted something that would lock the doors and not allow the theives out of the car. Meanwhile the fronts seats are throwing a 100K volts through their butts....:biggrin:

14. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

lol if you find a system like that let me know!:biggrin:

15. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

Trunk monkey /thread

16. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

if you do that plate thing you should make it a real mess. i bet someone who really wants to steal the car would have a nice selection of tools. including those Torx bits. so use atleast 12 nuts, all different sizes and shapes. so they need 12 different tools to get past it.

you could wrap a wire around the steering wheel then run it through a switch to the coil pack, so when they hit the igition they get some serious voltage going through em...

you can get battery quick disconects, which would allow you to disconec the battery, but you would need to re-do all your radio stuff everytime you leave teh car.

best option is a good ole .45

17. shorty5198

shorty5198 New Member

some guy once had his car wired so it woulnd't start unless you put the right blinker on or somthing. They made a loop in the electrical system and the blinker needed to be on in order to complete it or it woulndt start. i always though that was kinda cool.

18. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Of course, if it's an 04 or earlier and you decide not to do any of the above all someone would really need is a VIN number ;) The stock Subaru alarm is disabled with 3 turns of a key in the ignition, we set them off every day here at the dealership when we're moving cars around. This is why when people request us to cut a copy of a key we require a title or insurance card and ID to cut it.

Also, shooting car thieves isn't allowed up here unless you are in mortal danger. Last I checked, if they're running away you're not allowed to plug them in the back, satisfying as it may be. IIRC in Texas and a few other states down south you're allowed to shoot first, but up here things are a bit more stringent.

<----prefers a .45 loaded with Hydrashoks (165gr low recoil loads. Follow up shots FTW! ;) )

19. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

hidden kill switch; they'll never get the car started without it

20. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

In sydney a guy had his parked in his driveway with 4 other cars blocking the driveway... also parked UNDER his bedroom window... he came outin the morning to find all 4 cars where they were and his GONE... they had lifted... yes lifted the other 4 out of the driveway, walked his out then put the other 4 cars back... there was about 10 guys involved... the car stolen was a well known cover car.. the tail lights were worth about $2000 (rare savannah (japanese) lights) on an RX3....

so yep... you can only make it a pain in the butt for them but if they really want it they will find a way...

generally its the joy riders or the thief is usually lazy so anytime it takes too long they walk away...

I know cause all my college (16-17 yr old) buddies all got busted for stealing cars... I did it once with them... a stupid indiscretion, until I had something off mine stolen and felt so violated... never did anythign like that again.. they all got busted for over 20 accounts of theft each... they got busted trying to outrun the cops in a stolen car and flipped... yep stupid young kids....

21. bikerwriter

bikerwriter Well-Known Member

I like that idea myself. Maybe a group of toggles that all need to be in the proper position? Or two kill switches in different places?

22. wall of tvs

lol! I like that idea, but add a little twist to it....

If the switches are in the wrong position, the car will automatically lock, the alarm will go off and 50,000 volts will go through the seat every 15 seconds. :lol:

Also, use 3-way switches to up the chances of getting zapped.

With 4 2-way switches there's a 2^4 = 1/16 chance of getting it right.
    But with 4 3-way switches, there's a 3^4 = 1/81 chance for success.

23. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

It's a good idea in theory, but what if you're getting into your car early in the morning and you forget just one switch position?

24. wall of tvs

Well then you will have a nice suprise, lol.

25. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

my friend put 5 toggle switches throughout his eclipse, I tried taking his car once (he told me "go ahead, get it started") needless to say,I never did get it started....

26. carl

carl Well-Known Member

seriously. if you put a boot on your own car it probably won't be stolen

27. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

I personally like the toggle switch version. Very easy to install, very easy to hide, and your car won't start without it!

28. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

Another great idea however.... Put an electrical circuit to your shift knob....whatever it be (auto or manual) and fill it with 30-50k volts. Let's see you put it into drive or a gear now!

29. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

^just wear rubber gloves...haha

30. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

I agree with all of you but........ keep in mind I do believe it is illegal to electrify your car like that and if anyone got hurt or died you would be charge with a crime not to mention the civil actions that might be taken.

I wish I could electrify my car also but it just not a good idea. I wonder how much a bumper sticker "Defended by Smith and Wesson" or "Colt" or whatever would do.

31. StatGSR

StatGSR Well-Known Member

theft safty is all about layers, alarm (with pager, other people dont give a **** so atleast u know if your in range). fuel cut offs, and even a club if u want to. its easy for a theif to just move on to another car, they dont wana spend anymore time there then they have to.

to avoid towing/flatbedding, park your car at an angle in your drive way with the wheels turned and e-brake on. this will make it much more difficult to drag onto a flatbed.

another good thing is to disable the power lock switch that is inside the car. its much easier for people to stick something in and poke a switch than it is to acutally push the lock over. this is something i learned after loosing a CD player in the teg. your keyless entry should still work for locking and unlocking with the switch disconnected.

32. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

switches yeah, ha i got that covered, wiring in the swap there are many ways to make the car disabled,:laugh:

33. StatGSR

StatGSR Well-Known Member

yea they will jump in your car and turn on the blinkers....

34. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, it is illegal to do anything that would harm the theif. I have first hand experience with that. The guy that did it to his car got 2 years of jail time for it (and the prosecutor wanted attempted murder).

For the 10 years that I did alarm installs, i would say the best thing is a good alarm that is installed very good (ie can't see it or the wires), and a single flashing red light. Given most theives are dumb, but they are also lazy. If they see the red light they think alarm and know that there is always another car with unlocked doors right around the corner. It is also in your best interest to not leave 50 cd's and cash sitting out in the open. A flashing red light and nothing worthwile in plain view is your best defense.

Russ

35. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

yes, i have many other ways to disable it too, but yeah, toggle switchs ftw :biggrin:

36. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

yep, I'm installing a toggle in the back of the glovebox that cuts power to just the main relay. so even if they get in, and overcome the ignition switch, it'll turn over, but won't start....

37. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

Anti-Theft map on the utec or accessport. But most people keep the accessport in the glovebox, but it's another layer of self defense.

38. Dynapar

well unless the theif is a subie guru he prolly wil think the AP is a ipod or something.

you guys are right that you cant rig up the car to do awesome (brutal) hings to the thief. which in my opinion is kinda lame. being its your property, and they shouldnt be anywhere near it.

the kill switch idea is very workable just you need o figure ou how to wire it. sure there are many ways but some are more superfical than other. Ie i have a switch wired in to cut the igition. so with the swich off the car wont turn over. if you wire it to he ecu, be prepared to load maps or relearn maps everytime you hit the switch. everyway you can do it has a another way o get around it.

i just keep my car clean and lock the doors. being is an older car and looks more like a geo (sadly) then a usdm wrx chances are people on touch it. i gues it kinda pays off to have a stock car that not too many people know.

39. wall of tvs

you can also wire the killswitch to the fuel pump

40. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

This is the most sensible thing I've read in this thread, and incidentally, the most accurate.

41. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

isnt there a fuse for the fuel pump? could always just pull it

42. Dynapar

^ do you want to open your hood and pop out a fuse everytime you park your car? and do eh reverse to leave. might be kinda of a pain on those cold mornings. a switch is the way to go. but to what and where is for you to decide.

43. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

just posting an easy fix :roll:

44. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

One of the mains in the engine comp. then just a relay buried under the dash. I would look at setting up a switch in the trunk to interupt the switched 12V to the fuel pump controler. Or you could just pull one of the relays in the engine compartment. I can't remeber the number off the top of my head.

45. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

the one inside the car is under the dash, kick panel passenger side... I pulled that one when doing my injection clean... PIA to be pulling fuses and stuff... kill switch to fuel pump FTW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.