Steering column question...

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by million, Feb 15, 2012.

1. million

million Well-Known Member

The steering column on my 2002 Outback seems to be a bit loose. Any bump in the road seems to be very noticeable due to the looseness and it is only magnified by the fact that my front brake rotors are warped right now. I was told that it could be one of the pivot knuckles (not sure that's the technical term) in the steering column. I suppose it could be a bushing of some sort as well. How difficult is it to remove/replace parts on the steering column? Will I be able to access it without removing anything major, like the transmission?
    Thanks!

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

IMG_20110807_182256.jpg
    I took my 02 steering column out and put it back in. It was pretty easy...(ummm, now that i think about it, i had the dash out tho,lol) You'll have to remove the lower dash on the d.side to get at the lower brace that holds the column up in place. You will have plenty of access on the driverside without removing any major components in the engine bay. Check the grommet that the steering column rests in in the firewall also. I'm not sure if it could have popped out or not, but it would definitely be noticably different if it did. I think there are only two nuts/bolts in the engine bay on the column and the two bolts in the brace that holds the steering wheel/column up to the dash support beam. Then you just pull it carefully into the cabin of the car.

3. Ronnie@RSmotors

Ronnie@RSmotors Well-Known Member

Remember to keep the clock spring in the middle and not move it.
    Same as keeping your steering straight with both your wheels straight forward.
    Had to do this on my 05 STI and I thought it was super easy.

4. million

million Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the tips. I am not sure when I will be able to get to tearing things apart but at least I'll have an idea of what I'm getting into. :)

5. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

The joint is down by the rack, you wont have to pull your dash apart to replace it.