Steering rack woes

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by joebush44, Sep 21, 2017.

1. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I have an 05-07 STi style steering rack and pump in my swapped RS. I have put 3 used steering racks in it now and each one has leaked out of the end seals. I have the Chase Bays power steering line kit, but I wouldn't think that should make a difference.

The last two racks I got from Subaru Genuine Used Auto Parts. After I returned the first one they claimed they had tested the replacement under pressure prior to shipping it out...well they're either full of it or I have a different issue causing this.

Is it possible that the pump is putting out too much pressure for some reason? If so, what would cause that? It's a stock 07 STi pump.

I'm kind of in a bind now because I'm going to Subaru Nationals next weekend so I'm going to have to figure something out fairly quickly.

The puddles were much larger and it even shot fluid out and hosed down my passenger inner fender well. But here is the aftermath :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

How deep is that scoring in the shaft on the steering rack pistons?

3. joebush44

I think the picture makes it look worse than it really is, but I did't even look at it that closely to be completely honest.

4. joebush44

Giving SGUAP the benefit of the doubt and believing they tested the rack under pressure and had no issues, I'd suspect the pump. But seems odd that it would be making too much pressure...not sure if that's even possible. I've yet to speak with SGUAP again about this rack now, they can be difficult to get a hold of.

5. JasonoJordan

Have you setup any kind of gauges to test the pump? Not sure how one would do that but yea.

6. joebush44

No I haven't. I'm not even sure what these pumps are supposed to operate at. I thought I read at full lock something north of 1k PSI?? And yeah, trying to T a gauge into the high pressure line just seems like asking for trouble with that much pressure going through it.

7. JasonoJordan

Meh not really at work I deal with pumps that are well over that. They make gauges that can handle that no problem. Its more of the how to get it into the loop and test it properly.

8. joebush44

True. I do have a -6AN fitting coming off the feed from my pump. I wonder if they make a -6 female to -6 male adapter with a 1/4 npt port to thread a pressure gauge into it. I don't know if this would even give me an accurate reading. Especially considering the rack isn't holding all of the pressure it's being sent

9. JasonoJordan

Thats the million dollar question. You would almost have to try and isolate the pump somehow and use an actual pump tester. Its different then just a standard gauge.

Thats really the only true way to test the pump and only the pump.

http://www.hydracheck.com/catalog/flow-products/inline-flow-meter-test-kits-one-way-flow/

10. joebush44

11. joebush44

Well, I've got a 15+ STi rack on order now. Should be here Saturday. I'm scared to hook it up to this pump and blow seals in a brand new rack though lol

12. joebush44

This is probably the best way to test it, but I can buy a brand new (or least a reman) pump of less than that haha

13. JasonoJordan

Yea for sure. No way did I expect you to buy one. Was more of a food for thought deal.

14. joebush44

Right. Before I get the new rack, I'd be interested to either borrow a pump or buy a used one from someone local and see if the rack behaves the same way. Unless it's going to leak regardless now because the seals are already blown out. Hell, idunno.

15. JasonoJordan

Are the seals replaceable on the end of the rack?

16. joebush44

Yeah they are...but not exactly easily. I outlined what needed to be done to rebuild (but I failed trying) in my build thread.

17. joebush44

Spoke with someone at SGUAP a while ago and he didn't have a clue. His boss is going to call me over lunch I guess...I'll be demanding a refund. If they deny, I'll go through PayPal. Ugh

18. JasonoJordan

****ty deal either way. Hopefully you can find a solution that will work.

19. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

20. joebush44

I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen. My question though, is why?

Turning the wheel to full lock to the right so the passenger side of the rack is all the way out.

21. joebush44

Any power steering gurus? It doesn't make sense to me that there is fluid inside the rack shaft itself...

22. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

@Chux @idget @Todd @jmyhre05 ?

joebush44 likes this.
  23. joebush44

Got a buddy who works at Clements Subaru in Roch who is going to bring a PS pump pressure tester home tonight.
    FSM calls for 75-82 kgf/cm2 (1067-1165 psi).

tangledupinblu and jubella2 like this.
  24. JasonoJordan

Keep us posted.

25. joebush44

Tested the pump on Friday night. The pump was only at about 65 kgf/cm2 right after startup, then slowly pressure dropped off to about 5 kgf/cm2. Shut car off, started again, now only 5 kgf/cm2 max. Got a reman pump form Oriley with lifetime warranty. 15+ STi rack is installed.

We tore apart my original junk rack that the fitting broke off of to see what was inside. The reason why the rack was leaking out of the main rack shaft itself is because there is a weep hole just outside of the driver side end seal (red dot). For the life of me, I could not figure out what was causing the fluid to come out from inside the shaft so it makes a lot more sense now. My guess is that this is an "indicator" that the rack seals are going out in the rack and it needs rebuild/replacement. The yellow/green lines are the end seals. The red squiggly line inside the rack shaft is all of my ps fluid pissing all over the garage floor lol.

[​IMG]

New rack in...
    [​IMG]

I think the main issue was that I was just getting unlucky with blown racks. I think the pump was on its way out too, but was a separate issue to the issues with the multiple steering racks leaking.

I got as far as testing the rack lock to lock...no leaks, no ps pump screaming... adjusting the tie rods...all seemed good. I was kinda hunched over and as I pulled the wheel off of the car in order to lock the jam nut on the OTR and something in my lower back popped. :/ That was as far as I got. I was laid up the rest of the day and still hurting today. Hoping it loosens up as the day goes on. Man, I tell ya...my luck! Just glad the car should be back in business.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  26. JasonoJordan

So that said is SGUAP giving you a refund on the racks you got from them?

27. joebush44

Yep, I forgot to mention that. They offered to pay shipping back and provide a refund once they get the rack back. Not sure if they lied about testing it under pressure, or tested it under pressure but didn't go lock to lock, or tested it under pressure fully and it got damaged during shipping...or what. Who knows. But yeah, luckily they were willing to refund this time.

28. JasonoJordan

Well glad they are taking care of you on it.

29. joebush44

Yep me too. They are probably sick of paying for shipping back and forth lol. Just glad they are honoring a refund without much hassle.

30. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

What a nightmare but glad things are going in the right direction now. Sorry about your back.:blackeye:

31. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Praying for your back pal!