Steering wheel compatibility

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pleiades, Jun 14, 2020.

1. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I'm looking at replacing my 4-spoke Momo wheel with a newer 3-spoke and trying to figure out what if any differences there are between models. Ideally I'd want this one...

sti wheel (2).jpg

...but the STI wheels with red stitching would cost me about $250. It appears to me like all the 3-spoke wheels from any similar year Impreza/Legacy/Forester, etc. like this one...

download.jpeg

...are the same size and shape but costs way less, and I wouldn't really mind the lack of stitching or STI badging. I'm aware of the complications involved with the cruise control and airbag, more just trying to figure out if the rim of the wheel is the same aside from cosmetic differences and the airbag. Anyone able to confirm if they're the same diameter and shape?

Attached Files:

2. pleiades

Well, after much researching and forum digging I still never found the exact answer I was looking for but learned enough to make me think I can successfully accomplish a swap. So I just bought a worn-out '05 Legacy Momo wheel and matching airbag on fleabay and ordered a wrap from Redline Goods to put on it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly but I'll be sure to post pics either way when I have everything on hand and get into it.

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I really liked the Momo wheel on my '05 LGT. Hope you like it.

4. pleiades

Thanks, I hope so too. It seems to be the exact shape I'm looking for and with the Alcantara wrap should look and feel really nice. Won't have an STI logo on it but I'm fine with that as long as everything works. Plus when all is said and done I'll have less into it than what a decent STI wheel goes for.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

6. pleiades

Haha thanks for the find, but that wouldn't work for me anyway. The airbag unit I bought has the oval Subaru emblem on it, not a round one.

Screenshot_20200614-181441_eBay.jpg

I figure if I ever really want the STI logo, the airbag at least appears to be interchangeable so I may be able to swap it out in the future if I happen to find a deal on one. If not, then I'm still fine without having another questionably acceptable STI logo on my USDM WRX.

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

8. pleiades

That BR-Z wheel is a nice one, might be a little out of place in my 20-year-old Subie but I'd probably still rock it. On the other hand, I don't even know what to say about the cover that link sent me to. Just, what person does that? How did they sell enough to get that many reviews? So many questions....

9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

That deserves a picture and not just a link:

swc024-2.jpg

10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I can see that looking right at home in the Biscayne...

11. pleiades

Or I could go for a matching set and get this one that comes with shifter and handbrake covers.

81+7eCZ62OL._AC_SX466_.jpg

And it's less than $15! Somehow it was listed as a runner-up in a list of the best steering wheel covers for 2020 by "the Genius Review." (Seriously, link below). The red version was awarded "Best Bang for the Bucks."

https://thegeniusreview.com/car-steering-wheel-covers/

12. pleiades

Lol it wouldn't look terribly out of place but I think the colors would clash with my serape blanket seat upholstery.

13. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I'd have to think the pink would get you more "bangs", but that's just my non-genius opinion.

tangledupinblu, pillboy and pleiades like this.