STi get's smoked by a Mazda Speed Protege! ;)

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Zivman, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

Now I know what you are all thinking-> BS! but read the following and let me know if this holds water. I don't want to hear bad driver, messed up car, etc..... already heard it ;) I know Drumfreak personally and doubt he would be exagerating on this. I would have figured the STI to blow his doors off, or at least be able to pull on him decently.

Anyone know who this might have been?

2. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

:bs::bs: :bs: :bs:

3. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

bs, even if the sti is stock it has more WHP then that guy claims

4. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

you have to defend the STI race now.

5. wings_23

wings_23 New Member

I read a head to head comparison on the WRX and the Mazda speed six, in Motor trend and it didnt even beat the WRX, let alone a STi. My guess is someone mixed up the Acronym or what ever.

6. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

i'll defend it!!! gimme a crack at this guy!!!! and i look stock, wtf is he gonna say when i pwn him?

sti probably had a bov and turboback with no em so he was having nasty boost creep.

whatever, i'll win.

7. AWDimprezaL

bov and a catback probably.

8. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

It was probably a RS with a STi wing :laugh:

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Wait, where did he smoke him?

10. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

ding ding ding-I think we have a winner.

I'd like to know if the "sti" owner ever confirmed that it was in fact, an sti.

I wouldn't leave it to a mazda owner to ID a subaru correctly.

11. AWDimprezaL

^^^ My wife can spot subies better then i can, she has a mazda ;) btw no disrespect to the MSP, i like them alot

12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

This is a stock turbo msp? No way. When I was stage 2 (06wrx) my buddy would pull 2 cars from pretty much any rpm bc he was pretty much always fully spooled. But as soon as the td04 spooled (which is pretty quick) and I was at the end of whatever gear, he was a good 5-6 cars back. Just goes to show how tiny the stock msp turbo is... no top end.
    My buddy had cai, tbe minus the first pipe (j-pipe or s-pipe... whatever they call it), and was hitting 8-9 psi...
    Also, dont those cars start wheel hopping and having traction issues around 200whp?

13. wings_23

wings_23 New Member

Goes to show why only a Sti should have Sti exterior parts, now this guy is telling everyone he beat a Sti when in fact it was a imposter:eek3:

14. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

My old 2.5RS would almost keep up with my ex gf's msp. I also declare BS.

15. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I let a GTS Celica kinad blow by me, I didn't care to race...Funny thing is u could here his motor just reving, I just shut down after that and he kept going...hehe

16. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

the responses are a little more defensive than I expected. the MSP at 9 lbs is probably just under 200 whp. the car weighs about 2800 lbs. you compare those specs with an STI (300 bhp -> so what 220-230 whp and weighing in at 3300 lbs or more); and what he stated doesn't seem too incredibly far fetched IMHO.

I know somebody here knows the person in question and that would lay all skeptics and questions to rest.

17. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Is this a Mazdaspeed Protoge or a Mazdaspeed 3? If it's a 3, I'd believe it all day long. Powerwise, they're probably putting down 230-240 at the wheels stock and they'd be a match for an STI from a roll, modded or otherwise. If it's an MSP, then I'll call BS.

18. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

MSP = MazdaSpeed Protege
    MS3 = MazdaSpeed 3

This is a mazdaspeed protege.

Seriously though, Joe (drumfreak) isn't one to make up stuff like this. It is pretty well know what a MSP is all about, no need to make Joe Gengsta type claims for his car.

19. ShortytheFirefighter

You do realize that a lot of the performance and exterior/interior parts Subaru sells are badged STI as it denotes their tuning arm, not just a car model?

20. T-REX5000

T-REX5000 Well-Known Member

RS with an STI wing and a BOV generator thing lololololol

21. ShortytheFirefighter

Define a "Joe Gengsta" type claim. And while I don't think it'd be a clearcut blowout on the STI's part, I have a hard time believing that it was that close. The drag on the STI probably didn't help it going into the higher parts of the speed range.

22. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

STI is to subie as Nismo is to Nissan.

I am following his thread on the mazda forums. apparently not an isolated occurance:
    When i first read it, I would have called BS as well, but if you punch the numbers, it is definitely believable.

23. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

Basically that it owns all on the street...... but it's stock ;)

24. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

STi tq pwns any Mazda Speed, and ill throw this in one more time :bs:

25. ShortytheFirefighter

There's more to that comparison than meets the eye. Check the 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. The MS3 is a faster car, they had to dump the clutch on the WRX to get that time and we all know how well that works on them long term. (FYI, the 02 posted a 5.1 0-60)

From a roll, a MS3 would be about evenly matched, 263hp - 10-15% drivetrain loss for FWD would be 230ish, and weightwise they're probably pretty even. From what I've been seeing, some of those MS3's are a bit underrated too. I'd consider one except I hate FWD.

26. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

ANY mazdaspeed? The one in question may very well be complete BS or a complete misunderstanding of models. I do know of one MSP that would own a few STI guys around town.

Seriously though, all I am really asking is can anyone figure out who the subie owner was?

27. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Well, maybe that one if the tranny doesnt destroy it self :laugh: And I doubt anybody is going to fess up to losing to a silly Mazda Speed :biggrin:

28. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

10-15% loss is a bit optimistic for that car. I agree they are underated in terms of power, but the loss is probably at least 15%. The MS3 has the same problem as the MSP. the power peaks and then falls off as the turbo runs out of steam up top.

The MS3 is going to be a thorn in a lot of more expensive cars side -> much like the SRT-4 neon is. Mostly from a roll on the highway type situation. One thing about the mazdas though, they handle very as well. Still FWD is FWD and that is a huge drawback.

29. ShortytheFirefighter

The STI has more power but more drag, more drivetrain loss and more weight. The MSP has less power, but less drag and weight. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but unless I see it in person I'm not going to be completely convinced.

30. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

I wouldn't call them 'silly'. they do have a 'silly' wing :) but for the money, the MSP is a great buy -> brand new for 16K

The tranny issue should be resolved now.... I don't think we will be seeing it on the trailer too much this yr; at least not tranny related:
    [​IMG]

31. ShortytheFirefighter

Why would it be more than 15%? It's FWD and a typical estimate is 10-15% loss.

32. Zivman

Zivman Active Member

Autmobile mag had dynos of the MS3:
    [​IMG]

Based on those dynos:
    263 bhp - 216 whp = 47 hp

47/263 - 17.87% drivetrain loss

33. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

awwwwww Tom

34. wings_23

wings_23 New Member

I think if you want to compare what car is faster, you should use the more common benchmark , 0-60 or 1/4 mile. I dont know many races profesional or not that start at highway speeds. If you start adding variables than it defeats the purpose. (In a blizzard, Enzo Ferrari or a STi.:eek3: )

35. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

I think this is a good point. How many times do you dump your clutch while ****ing around at a stoplight?

36. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Maybe he is shifting every 3k RPM to save on gas...

37. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

To me the MSP is just like the SRT4. Pretty quick in a straight line and for the money a great car. Gotta give it respect for what it is.

I will say that the MS3 looks bad ass and if it wsa AWD I would have waited on the STi to test drive that. Sweet looking ride with a nice amount of power.

38. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

^really, I found the msp to be a dog in stock or near stock form, but a lot more fun then my box of an impreza in the corners...

39. AWDimprezaL

agreed, an MSP in stock form vs a wrx in some twisties, the wrx would get killed

40. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

I seen a light silver MS Protoge race a 05-06' Vette on 55 and it held its own pretty damn well. From a dig and from a roll. They raced quite a few times in front of me.

Not sure what mods were done of course. But I was impressed that an older MS car was holding up to one of the newer Vette's.

41. ShortytheFirefighter

If the MSP was anywhere close then the Vette wasn't trying. Similar weight with double the horsepower and better traction = MSP in the dust.

42. masube81

masube81 Well-Known Member

What abou this Evo vs MSP

EVO vs. Mazda Protege - What was done??
    Well, I'm kind of new to this forum and I don't drive a Mazda so try not to flame too bad. Our EvoM forums don't allow street racing...

This afternoon I was driving normal on the way home from work. Well, while sitting there driving like grandma (yes, I'm feeling my age 34) I heard a pretty loud noise coming up on my left. Of course the noise was a nice sounding exhaust.. I look over and saw a M Protege passing me pretty quick. Once he got up in front of me a few cars, he backed it down a bit and started slowing and then speeding up again. He did this a few times. Well, I don't really street race, not that I don't like it, but it had a been a pretty long day and I was just relaxing and enjoying the drive home. Well, after a few more moments of playing around, he slowed down and got right beside me. To be honest, the way his car sounding I was a little worried. It sounded and looked pretty nice (Silver). I could tell he had done some pretty good modding to it. You could hear the turbo which was as loud as mine and it seemed like he may have had a bigger turbo in there because when he got on a few times prior to slowing up next to me there was some lag and then it just took off.
    Well, I don't want to make this too long so I'll get to the point. When he pulled up beside me I actually downshifted to 3rd. He did the same, but not sure which gear he would be in at that speed. I'd say we were doing about 60 or so before we took off. We didn't do the 3 horn honk which is something I seem to always forget. Anyway, at this point he took off and I followed suit. Through 3rd I probably had a car on him but then hit the rev limiter. Didn't really matter as we had to slow down pretty quick (traffic coming up). We got beside each other again and slowed down to give plenty of space. We took off again at the same time. This time we got up to about 100 or so and then hit the brakes. I'd say after hitting 4th I started pulling away but only had about 2 or so cars on him. After that run we met up again and he gave me a thumbs up and I returned the favor. I can't believe how fast that da'mn car was. I run high 11's and trap 118 and I didn't pull on him that hard even though I pulled away. What could he have had done to that darn thing. I must say, I was highly impressed. That was a pretty nice sleeper with the exception of the louder exhaust.

Well, this has gone a little longer then it should have so I'll give thanks for those who made it through. Anyway, anyone know someone in the Cincinnati area with a fast as he'l M Protege. Were always looking for new car club members, no matter what kind of "fast" car you drive.
    Mike

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123665224

43. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Could have been heavily modded:dunno: Don't know or care to know the details.

All I know is, that Vette wasn't leaving anything in the dust. Well, besides me in my Durango:laugh:

44. ShortytheFirefighter

I think before we can have any kind of real debate on any of these we'll need to know actual mods and numbers being put down, otherwise it's just an assortment of MSP stories that are apples to oranges comparisons.

45. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Exactly.

But saying a MSP can't ever be fast, is as bad as saying all STI's are as fast as Big Valley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.