Stock Struts on 02 WRX

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by subester87, Mar 20, 2014.

1. subester87

subester87 Member

Love all the info and help here. Slowly have been tackling repairs, and now I've run into another snag. I picked up a used stock set of struts for my 02 WRX, as I hate the ride of the coilovers. Tried to install with a friend today and we could not get the front ones to fit. I'd guess they were an inch and a half too long. Top went in just fine, but the bottom was far too long and wouldn't get over the axle. Am I missing something?

2. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Well, the first question would be, what year struts did you purchase?

3. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

Wagon or sedan struts? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are different.

4. subester87

subester87 Member

I was told they were 2002 WRX Sedan struts. Contacted previous owner to confirm they were, and I don't have a reason not to believe them. I should check the part numbers though.

5. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

They should fit! You might have to remove some of the linkage to the hub to get it to drop down more. Or having someone stand on it should do the trick.

6. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Wagon and sedan front struts are the same.

tonyM and xodad2 like this.
  7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Only difference between wrx sedan and wagon struts is in the front, and the difference is the amount of camber due to the location of the strut mounting holes. WRX wagon struts on a WRX sedan will fit and yield more negative camber, which is normally a good thing for handling. The opposite is true for sedan struts on a wagon.

Coilover assemblies are typically much shorter than the stock strut/spring assembly, so you may need to apply some extra pressure to lower the hub far enough. Disconnecting the sway bar endlink will help significantly to get the strut in, but then re-connecting the sway bar might be difficult. Put the car back on the ground after the strut is in, drive up on ramps, and it will be easier to reconnect the sway bar.

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Incorrect :p see my post above!

9. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Well I guess I stand corrected then. Lol Learned new stuff every day.

10. subester87

subester87 Member

Well, I checked the part numbers with Subaru. The numbers on the struts are as follows:
    20310FE150
    20310FE140
    20360FE150
    20360FE140

They all check out to stock parts for the year. Oy. I wasn't even closing to lining it with the hub.

11. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Lay the coilover and stock strut side by side and you'll see the large difference in length. Might want to try my advice above.

12. subester87

subester87 Member

Will certainly give it a shot. Thanks guys.