Stolen Crosstrek

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by HootAndromeda, Apr 3, 2018.

1. HootAndromeda

HootAndromeda New Member

Our 2016 Black Subaru Crosstrek was stolen Sunday Night/Monday Morning.
    Keep an eye out for plates 413 UKH
    It was stolen from in front of our house in NorthEast Minneapolis.
    Keys were accidently left in a bag in the trunk area. The car was locked for sure. The person just got lucky.

The only modification it has is a 2inch hitch that sits under the bumper. Other then that it looks like the rest of them.

We have contacted the police and impound lots. Nothing has turned up yet.

Our model does not have the starlink tracking hardware so we are out of luck.

I was sent here from someone on reddit. Didn't know this forum existed!

Shancaldazar and tangledupinblu like this.
  2. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the site. Too bad you were directed here under these circumstances.

I hope they catch the SOB's!

HootAndromeda and klutz like this.
  3. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Sorry to see you join under these circumstances :(

HootAndromeda likes this.
  4. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I hope every thing works out!

I will say, that back in 2000 my truck was stolen in Mpls in mid December. And on Christmas Eve I got the letter it was in impound and would be auctioned off if I didn’t pick it up. A police report had been filed at about 7am on the day of the theft. I later found out it had been in the impound lot since later that day. Now I’m sure they have better systems in place now for tracking vehicles, but I would still check back with impound tomorrow.

5. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Sorry to hear. Hopefully insurance can make up for the hassle.

6. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it turns up unscathed! Why would a thief think to dig through a bag in the trunk during a theft? People are crazy..

7. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Welcome! We will be on the lookout, wish you luck!

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Dang, sorry to hear that. I also live in Northeast, so I'll keep an eye out for black crosstrek's. I doubt they will stick around the neighborhood, but there are some idiots out there....well, extra-idiots beyond the usual idiots that steal cars.

JuStaWRX, HootAndromeda and pcwerk like this.
  9. HootAndromeda

HootAndromeda New Member

Thanks for the best wishes everyone! You all are an awesome group of people. We’ve witnessed quite a bit of trolling on other websites so this has been really refreshing.

We got a call from the police earlier today and our car has been found!!!

We haven’t been able to get a ton of details on it, but this is what we know.
    A highway patrol officer near brainard ended up spotting our car/pulling it over. The driver is in custody.
    From what they told us the car is not damaged. Luckily I detailed the entire car on Easter so I know every square inch of that car.
    We can’t make it up there until next week so I’ll post again then.
    Thanks for the good vibes!

Cheers,

Brian

10. HootAndromeda

HootAndromeda New Member

That’s what we thought. The circumstances were unfortunately just right for him or her.

11. HootAndromeda

HootAndromeda New Member

I’ve heard of that happening. There was a point where I was checking it hourly yesterday. Thanks for the heads up thou.

Stormtrooper1 likes this.
  12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Well that’s good news Brian! I’ll be praying that they took care of it while they were off joyriding to Brainerd.

13. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

14. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Congrats on them finding it, hopefully its as it was before it was stolen, just with a few more miles.

klutz likes this.
  15. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

From the DMV's website- make sure you cancel the stolen vehicle alarm, otherwise your title will be branded.

If your vehicle is recovered

If your vehicle is recovered, make sure the police cancel the stolen vehicle alarm so the recovery will be listed on your title record. Do not use the vehicle or apply for plates/registration until you are sure the alarm has been cancelled.

If the vehicle is damaged or totaled, contact your auto insurance company. Do not apply for plates/registration as explained below until contacting your insurance company and resolving the matter with them.

If the plates are recovered with your vehicle and you filed form MV-78B, bring the plates and your copy of the MV-78B to a DMV office to surrender them and apply for new plates and to re-instate your registration.

If the plates are missing, bring your copy of form MV-78B to a DMV office and apply for new plates and reinstatement of your registration.

If the vehicle and plates are recovered before you file form MV-78B, and the stolen vehicle alarm has been cancelled, your registration is still active and you may continue using the registration.

16. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Also, not sure about Minnesota, but there are articles from other states where the towing company that picked up your car will charge you storage and transportation. Make sure you find out what towing company did the service, and I'd call them to find out if they do in fact charge for storage. Some states insurance covers those costs. I just don't want you to get a big nasty surprise when you go and pick up your car next week. Hope it all works out well for you!

HootAndromeda and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Awesome that it was found, hope the hard part is over and you don't get f*cked with by insurance, the title, the impound or whatever.

Stick around, this is a good group of folks for the most part.

MidnightImpreza and Mnelson like this.
  18. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

That's great news! I hope the recovery process goes smoothly for you.

19. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I'm shocked but glad to hear.

20. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

What are you trying to say??! :D

Glad you were able to recover your vehicle, OP! And yes, stick around! We do a bunch of fun things throughout the year, and it's going to get busy if it ever gets warm again :D

21. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Late to the party, but glad it's been found! Great advice from a lot of people here. Hoping the reclaiming goes smoothly for you!

22. HootAndromeda

HootAndromeda New Member

Thanks skubi1!
    We have a nice $250 towing fee waiting for us. Luckily the police department doesn’t charge a storage fee. Hopefully our plates are still there. Good tips on what to do with that sort of thing!

Cheers

23. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Not a problem. I know in Coon Rapids, the police sign contracts with certain towing companies that they work exclusively for (dad was a cop here). Think that's how most cities get away from the storage fees. Talk to your insurance and see if they are going to cover the towing costs. Hope that all works out well with you and I'm glad that you're getting your car back! Cheers.

24. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

any update/info on the perp? NE Mpls. to Brainerd is a hell of a "joyride".

25. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Yeah that seems odd.