strange wheel hop behavior

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Gspot, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gspot

Gspot New Member

When I go over bumps theres a lot of shuddering up and down of the front wheels. It gets worse on the freeway. Going around corners the wheels hop so much that they lose contact with the surface. Today at the autocross people said they could see my front wheels bouncing off the ground. It gets a little better if I let some air out of the tires but definitely doesn't fix it. When i crashed my car last winter I hit a decent sized curb at around 15mph. Could it be bad struts? I'm really stumped over this! :(!

2. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

You need new strut... same thing happen to me in my old Audi and Mazda... new strut fixed the problem, in my situation that is.

3. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

I have wheel hop while cornering in my Leggy. I wanted new struts for her anyways.

4. Gspot

Gspot New Member

I'm trying to get insurance to cover the struts but the guy at Goodyear seems to think its just the low-profile tires. He didn't really drive it hard enough to initiate the shuddering and probably isnt as sensitive with the car as I am. They're gonna test everything on Friday though.

5. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Why would insurance cover your struts? That's normal wear and tear unless it's a brand new car and it's defected.

Just a thought, put the regular tires back on and test that for a change.

Let us know how it went.

6. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Kyle, get some KYB AGXs or something. Muahaha.

7. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Because at 40,000 miles it might be deemed to early for struts to be bad under normal wear and tear. Instead its due to me hitting the curb when I crashed. I'm planning on KYBs unless its really not that hard to hack up struts (Konis). It would be hard to get the behavior out of stock wheels because the snow tires I have mounted soak up most of the bumps and I cant corner hard enough with them to cause the bouncing.

8. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

At home I have a bookmarked page that documents a Koni install with pretty good pictures. If you end up doing it I want to watch, lol.

9. Gspot

Gspot New Member

I have an extra set of struts at the moment anyway. Should be able to get them installed correctly by the 2nd try =)

10. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

man that be hella cool if insurance cover my struts...i be killing them every month..lol..

11. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Left front was blown. Insurance wouldnt cover it. When I took the strut out I could easily push it down with one hand :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.