Subaru Extended Warranty, How far does it really go? "RIP Car"

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Volatle, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Volatle

Volatle Well-Known Member

I own a subaru crosstrek xv with the 7yr/70k gold plus extended warranty. This was purchased on a car from a dealership#1 with 15k miles. I've been having an ongoing issue after buying this car from the 2nd owner who originally purchased it at 15k with the gold plus. The starter constantly has a long start "Known problems". I'd turn the key to cycle the starters and it would turn for 5-10seconds without starting. Turn the key again and bam, starts right away. After this issue constantly presented itself, i took it into the subaru dealership#2 a year ago. They updated ecu/pcm and sent me on my way. I get back from my honeymoon 3 weeks ago to the car doing the starter issue every single time. Take it in again to the dealership#1. The service advisor has the same exact issue when trying to start it. I'm stoked that it happened for them. Thinking they will fix it. Ignition issue fix, another ecu/pcm update and send me on my way with an 1hr 1/2 wait time. I explicitly told them that they had already done this before and the issue kept getting worse. Told me to come back when it does.

Well it did get worse, my car died 6 days after i took it in. Thank goodness it made it across the light-rail tracks prior to doing so.

Symptoms:
    Exterior lights all work
    Interior lights all work
    key fobs all work

Gauge cluster does nothing when putting the key in and turning to on position.
    Ignition not doing anything.
    Radio doesn't turn on.

First thing a service advisor does is connect and try to jump the car. "This personally is a huge no-no in my book coming from a vast electrical background" especially when i told them we smelled burning.

I get told I have to wait till Monday to diagnose the issue. So Monday i get a call telling me that a remote starter was installed & uninstalled in correctly. That these wires burnt up the harness, blew a 40amp fuse, and fried a relay. That they were just twisted together with exposed wires and no electrical tape or anything. I also get told that the wires were originally spliced into and soldered on. "I assume that you had to unsolder the wires".

I straight up tell them that i've never had a remote starter and neither did the previous owner who i bought the car from with the transferable gold plus warranty. Honestly speaking, i can't tell 100% that there was a remote starter installed other than what they are telling me. I've done avionics on f16's & mq'1 & have worked on cars since i was 12. I've done full loom swaps on various cars, and helped restored others.

But they are sure as the sky is blue, that there was an aftermarket remote starter installed. "I personally didn't know that just because there was black electrical tape on a wiring harness, meant it wasn't subaru approved from factory". Funny thing is, i'm pretty sure the tech added black electrical tape to shield the wires that were chaffed.

So at this moment, they blame the fact that there was an aftermarket remote starter installed by owner 1 who traded it in at 15k miles. Then they sold the car to owner 2 with 2k spent on gold plus 7yr/70k SOA extended warranty. But since it isn't covered by the subaru warranty since they are claiming it's aftermarket parts.

I have to A) Put electrical tape and hope it doesn't rub together.
    B)Pay them for 8hr's worth of labor 1.2k to fix the issue and possible always void the remainder 2yr/20k left on the warranty.
    C) Pay 1300 for a wiring harness + labor to fix the issue and not have to worry about it.

Basically, you buy a car that had this hidden issue. Buy a really expensive extended warranty. But you're SOL, because the dealership says it isn't liable for hidden issues "that they took in on a trade in" that the extended warranty doesn't cover because they have already 100% diagnosed it. Just like they diagnosed the issue with 2 try starter on a.......... just needed updates right?

At the moment, i'm waiting to see what the GM/Sales team will be willing to do. Let's see if they can honor the fact that they didn't sale a car "As/Is".

I haven't called SOA yet to see if this can be handled at dealership level. Dealership#1 is both where the car was purchased originally & serviced for the ignition last. They are also the ones with the car atm.

Sorry if i rambled, if you want to add your input or advice. That would be great.

edit:I won't put the dealership name in to see if they can take care me. Hopefully, they will and i'll be a happy customer to promote their brand.

2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Just add some fuel to the burnt up harness and let nature take its course. :coffee:

No sense in fighting it, she wants to go up in flames and like a phoenix will be reborn from the ashes as a non-subaru (everyone on here seems to be getting Honduh Civic Si's recently so maybe it will turn into one of those!).

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

For that kind of cash, I would be real tempted to repair each damaged wire one at a time myself. Can't be that hard, just very time consuming. How many wires get hooked up with an aftermarket remote starter anyway, 50, 60? It being under the dash makes it a job more suited to a young guy rather than an old phuck (me) handing out free advice. I think you are between a rock and a hard place unless the car was sold to you by a Subaru dealer as a CPO, which it wasn't (had to re-read that part). I doubt you will get any help from SOA. Best I can see happening is if you do the work and they sell you a new harness at a reduced price. I hope this gets a satisfactory resolution.

4. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

pull the entire harness, WRX or STI swap it (or LS swap if you're a man) and have the car Subaru refuses to build.

Krazylegz1485, BroCo and sneefy like this.
  5. Volatle

See, that's one of my biggest issues. Even if the car was CPO. This wouldn't of been found unless you pulled the kneebar. The wires that were supposedly "soldered & taped" were roughly two inches from the ignition switch. Plus, you had to pay roughly $500 for the CPO warranty (drivetrain warranty) or you could Pay 2k for the gold plus extended warranty which is bumper to bumper ect... Why would you have to pay for the the lesser of one to get the all-inclusive one.

The dealership told me even if it was CPO inspected, this wouldn't of been found. Which I completely understand. It's a ****ty situation that most likely never happens. Maybe this will change there trade-in inspections or pre-sale inspections. "They even original sold the car and did all the maintenance"

But the fact is, they sold a car with a hidden issue that automatically voided the manufacture & extended warranty. They made a profit on selling the car with warranty & extended warranty.

If this was a private seller, it would be different. But this is a business that sells cars new and old on a guarantee that they sale reliable cars.

How much would you pay for a car that is a year old and has 15k miles with no warranty? A whole lot less.

6. curly2k3

time to post the dealer info and contact SOA if they won't work with you.

7. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Gathers pitch forks and torches...

8. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Never leave home without them!

9. pillboy

Better Call Saul.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  10. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

If SOA still says you are SOL then I'd return the remainder of this extended warranty for a refund on the unused amount (you should be able to do that). Use it to pay (hopefully it covers most of the repairs) and call out the offenders to let them know buyer beware.

To me the dealer should make you right because it was their mistake (but legally they don't have to....but doesn't mean it is right). Then they recoup their costs from the 1st owner because he did not disclose something at the time of sale (aka trade in to dealer #1).

jubella2 likes this.
  11. curly2k3

Should we start taking guesses on the dealer?

I'm going White Bear or St. Cloud.

Nhibbs likes this.
  12. Volatle

At the current moment, the dealership is going to take care of the issue at no cost.

The GM completely understood where i was coming from and wants to rectify the situation at no cost to me.

Talking with the service manager has been great. He actually listened to my complaints rather than point the finger at an aftermarket part that wasn't of my doing. Even having to stay 30 mins after his shift was over.
    After talking with him, i was given his course of action & he followed through with that process.

I'm glad i took it to the dealership that everyone recommends for a good reason. :thumbup::bounce:

Warranty will be 100% upheld after its fixed. I also have a courtesy car at no cost.
    "Subaru Outback" which i'm pretty sure i want to upgrade to in the near future.

Nhibbs, tangledupinblu and Cotts612 like this.
  13. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Glad to hear it all worked out

14. pillboy

Wow...you couldn't have hoped for a better outcome than that. Let's hope the repair goes smooth and they don't cause other issues (damaged interior trim, rattles, etc).